The Perfect Day?!  

Posted by cokelady

It all started last night. We had a good church service, and then afterward we all stayed and enjoyed some stew and cornbread that Tammy had made. What a great pastor's wife! ;-) A little later, Sam and Tammy came over to the house so I could whip up on them in Rummy. Thanks, Sam!!! You're so thoughtful. :-) It made it a great night. Besides that, it was beginning to get chilly outside. Wa-Hoo!

This morning the house was nice and cold, so I donned my Broncos sweatshirt and big wooly socks for the first time this year. Is there any better way to start the day than that?! I worked on my quilt for about an hour (a great chilly day activity, mind you!), then got to work in the kitchen. I made corn chowder and hot rolls and pineapple upside-down cake for desert. And James made oatmeal raisin cookies and Rice Krispy treats! Anyone care to come help us eat all of this?! James built a fire in the fireplace and I have a puzzle set up in my office that I worked on here and there throughout the day. I was going to make some hot spiced cider tonight but I'm so stuffed I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much as I should, so I've decided to hold off. It did warm up quite a bit this afternoon and I finally made a mad dash from the hot kitchen to the bedroom to lose the sweatshirt and throw on a t-shirt. But it was nice while it lasted! The sweatshirt is still laying across my bed, covered with little (and big) smudges of flour; a sort of momento to this fantastic day. Maybe I should tack it to the wall. :-)

Joe helped me make the hot rolls and Katie helped me with the pile of dishes. Sam just helped eat everything. Otherwise, the kids spent their day much like they have the past two or three days: playing with a cardboard box. What could be better?! The box started out as a house, then a toy box, then it was a boat, then an Alter Ego Machine (thank you, LarryBoy), then a castle, and who knows what else. They got out some markers and decorated it, too. Fun, fun, fun! Admit it--it makes you wish you were a kid again, hu?!

Here's Katie Rue, little Ms. Artist

Cowboy Joe winkin' "Howdy, Ma'am"


And good ole' Destruct-o Sam
(Remind me to post pictures of his rifle sometime soon)

And this is the King (Joe), Queen (Kate), and Prince (Sammy) enjoying some wedding cake. (This portion of play was obviously run by Miss Rue.)

That's about it from around here. Tammy will be here at 6:30 in the morning (what kind of a friend shows up at that hour?!) to help set up for the Church Yard Sale here at our house. We're raising funds to send to Brother Mbogo for some of the needs over in Africa. It's supposed to be cold and possibly rainy tomorrow, so pray for some smart people who recognize the glory of such weather (!) to be in the shopping mood!

I hope your day has been as terrific as mine!!! Until next time...

~Bec~

Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on 8:35 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

5 comments

WOW, what a PERFECT day!!! Jigsaw puzzle, great homemade food filling the house with luscious aromas, quilting and a multi-purpose cardboard box for the kids! WA HOO!!! I would have LOVED to have partaken of your perfect day with you!

Wow! I'm jealous! That is the perfect day! Last time I checked the weather we were supposed to get a storm this coming week. can't wait for snow. All though, it will be a little different packing around a baby. I need to get one of those fuzzy car seat cover thingys. Sorry, I'm rambling on your blog. I should only be allowed to do that on my blog. :) owe you a phone call don't I? Hmmmm, I'll have to work on that.

That does sound like great fun. Let me know when tickets go on sale for the next production of the Horne Household "Play"ers. ha! :-)

How Cute! You have a beautiful family! Sis Amy

I don't know how I managed to miss this entire post...but I did. YIKES! I guess I really do need to slow down a bit.

It is really chilly here today, 48 degrees, so I am really thinking about making a batch of hot rolls to go with something tonight...maybe beef stew...haven't had that in a while...if I know my husband though, he'll be begging for potato soup. Mine just doesn't turn out as good as your Mom's though.

Is there a picture of the decorated box? Jeremy and Darren loved boxes, they could be anything you wanted them to be.