Just the Usual...  

Posted by cokelady

Plus snowman sales, that is. :-) Aunt Sue is baffled that she's received three separate orders for snowmen ranging from Arizona to Alaska... and all because of this mysterious thing called a blog. It is pretty amazing, really.

The biggest excitement this week is when we discovered that Joe was rich. When the kids earn money (a quarter here, a nickle there) we have a special place for each of them to stash it. Well, we haven't really done that in several months, so a few days ago when Joe got a quarter and I went to put it away in his cup up on the shelf I was shocked to find $12.64, give or take a few cents. Can you imagine?! A four year old with 12 bucks!!! We were all shocked (including Joe) and have no idea when or where the money came from, only that it's really and truly his. I'm the only one who could have put it there, but I have no recollection of it whatsoever. Anyway, he was thrilled to discover that he was rich and the next day we went to Alco (our Wal-Mart wanna-be) for the big shopping spree. He was sooooooooo excited. He's been eyeballing this certain gun there for weeks now. It shoots foam darts with a suction cup at the end of them. So after MUCH debating (the kid wanted to buy everything he touched) he finally settled on that. That took up about half of his money. (Yes, he already paid tithes. :-) Just in case you were wondering!)

Then, being the kindhearted kid that he is, he spent the rest of his money on a rifle for Sam "since his broke," Joe said. Actually, Sam's rifle has been broken dozens of times, beginning the day after he got it. In fact, it's been made up of mostly super glue, duct tape, and packing tape for at least 6 months now. I used up a whole tube of super glue on that thing. I must say though, it never broke in the same place twice. Maybe they should construct the things out of super glue to begin with. ANYWAY, this picture shows the most recent break. Joe felt bad for him and decided to buy him a new rifle. What a guy!
Katie felt a little left out, naturally, but she handled herself amazingly well and didn't cry or whine or complain at all. So when we got home I sat down with her (while the boys were playing with their new guns) and we painted some sun catchers. She took them to the library the next day and promptly forgot them there. Oh well!
Kate's had a rough day today as well. Seems like she's spent half the day sprawled out on the floor groaning and grabbing whatever was injured in the fall. She's tripped or fallen off of furniture or just gone splat for seemingly no reason at all -- oh, I don't even know how many times today. The last time she finally broke down and started crying. "I don't want to be me anymore!!! I hate being a klutz! Mom, I just don't want to be me anymore..." What can you say?! "Sorry, honey, you're always going to be you and that means you'll probably always be a klutz and you'll go through the rest of your life broken and bleeding--unless you want to wear protective rubber pads all over your body. Even then, there's no guarantee for somebody like you..." I didn't actually say all that, but it's true. The child is doomed. She can crash for no reason at all on a consistant basis like nobody I've ever known. Except maybe Aunt Sue. Nonetheless, it's bound to be a long, black-and-blue life for that girl.

I thought I'd put this on here, although I'm not sure you'll be able to read it. It's pretty sloppy for Katie's usual penmanship, but she wrote this during church the other day. I had to laugh.
Let's see... That's about it from here. I talked to Mom on the phone yesterday. They're at Ladies' Retreat in England this weekend and I'm sure they're having a great time. There was something I was supposed to "tell" on Mom about, but I can't think of what it was. I just remember telling her, "I'm going to blog about you!" Hhmmm. Bummer.
Great. Katie's bad day continues. I put the kids to bed a few minutes ago and then heard some rustling around. Being a Mom, I knew exactly what it was: six little bare feet walking gingerly through the kitchen. I did the sneak-up-on-'em-and-scare-the-bejeebers-out-of-them thing (one of the best parts of being a Mom, mind you, except that it's hard to follow through and spank them when you're laughing that hard), then sent them back to bed. A few moments ago I heard the sound of little size 11 girl feet in the kitchen again, then a *bump* of some sort. "What was that?" I hollered, already knowing Katie was in the kitchen. "I don't know!!!" came her quick and trembling reply. I went to get her and the child had the nerve to hide from me! This is something entirely new. She began explaining and I caught a whiff of something fruity in the air. Her breath. That girl had snuck out of bed a second time and went to the kitchen to steal candy!!! Can you imagine?! What kind of kids am I raising, anyway?!? Katie, naturally, showed great remorse and prayed fervently begging both me and God to forgive her for being soooooooo bad. It was "taken care of," but I'll spare the details for the sake of any tenderhearted grandma's who may be out there blogging instead of crocheting tonight. :-) Let's just say I don't think it will be happening again. Not unless Katie is a lot more stubborn than I give her credit for! (And I do give her plenty of credit for that...)
Okay, that's all. It's past 9:00 now and I've got a meeting scheduled with the ironing board tonight. Have a great night!
~The Mean (and Failing???) Mom~

This entry was posted on 6:52 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

lol! Your nowhere near failing! *chuckle* Just when you think your getting the hang of raising kids, they go and do something like sneak into the kitchen to get some candy! It's so great to hear what other kids do. Helps me know that my kids are pretty much "normal" lol Have a great night with your ironing board!

At least yours got out of bed to get the candy. I went into the boys room a couple nights ago andit smelled fruity. When questioned they said Luke had candy IN his bed. Then I saw something shiny in Caleb's bed. Upon further inspection, I found that he had crackers in his bed.
That's the first time we've had anything like that happen. Sneaky, rotten kids!!!!

Okay moms...as Sis. Bekah said, "just when you think you're getting the hang of raising kids"...they test the walls again. How far can I push against them THIS time? Every time they do that, you'll think that you are a failure, but trust me...you are NOT provided that you never crumble when they push against the walls. ~smile~

I have one question though...Sis. Em, when did crackers become shiny? ~grin~

MT ~~sheepish smile~~ It wasn't actually the crackers that were shiny...it was the wrapper! HA!

Got'cha! You would think that I could have figured that out on my own. ~hee hee~ I guess I am really losing it these days! ~grin~

Hey Bec! Thanks again for the help changing my datestamper thingy. Since you have like the COOLEST blog site I know of, I figured you'd be a good one to ask. I always think of you whenever I see Coke stuff for sale. Then I think... naaa, she probably already has that! Hope things are going well for you. I always enjoy reading the current events of your childen. They are a riot! Don't know WHERE they get they from. HMMMM...

Hey, Bec! It's your world-traveling mother signing in from Jolly Ole England! I'm sitting in an empty living room at the Hawkins' apartment, using Brother Rob's laptop. I haven't been online in several days, but I haven't missed it. We've been having too good of a time and been laughing way too much! Sister Bishop is my constant companion and the woman is a riot! I wanna be like her when I grow up. :-) (I can safely say that because she hasn't grown up either!) LOL! Really, we're having a wonderful time and we've enjoyed worshipping with the people of England very much! We have another service tonight--a District Meeting. Sister Bishop will b preaching again. We spent the day today touring downtown Birmingham (the "h" is silent here). We rode in the double decker buses and went in a neat old church, ate at a fabulous Chinese buffet in the Chinatown section, and bought Cadbury's chocolates, and I dropped and broke open a can of chai latte powder on the floor of a store, but they let me buy the unbroken can instead of the one I ruined. :-) Sister Bishop tried to get a picture of me and the young clerk cleaning up the mess, but fortunately I think she was too slow on the draw. We DID get our picture taken with some Bobbies (Bobbys?); anyway, the British police officers. Ger, you wouldn't believe how much younger the police force has gotten over here!!! ;-) I've written enough her that I should have just made up my own blog! *sigh* Anyway, it's great to read YOUR blog, even if there were not-so-nice things to read about the treatment of my grandchildren. But, you know I'd have done the same thing myself, in your shoes (and I DID!). You're right--scaring the bejeebers out of your kids is one of the really fun things about being a Mom! *tee hee* But watch out, the time comes when the kids get old enough and start turning the tables on you! Then YOU'RE the one to be jumping and squeeling in fright and alarm while THEY'RE laughing! Ah, life is a cycle!

Whoa--Mom! Great to hear from you! Thanks for checking in. I'm sure everybody is anxiously awaiting your return, accompanied by a plethora of stories and pictures detailing the wild, crazy, and embarrassing adventures of the big England trip. Something spiritual might be nice, too. ;-) Have a great flight home tomorrow! Love ya'!!!

By the way... Lorrie, the ONLY reason I have such a cool blog is because there are people out there a lot smarter than me (Jenna, this time) who are willing to help me out. I could draw a picture of what I want on my blog... but it takes a computer savy person to actually get it out there!