Donut Day???  

Posted by cokelady

Last night James informed the kids, "When we get up tomorrow, we're all going to load up and go to the Donut Palace for breakfast!" This, naturally, was followed by much squealing and laughter and jumping and dancing and little arms being slung around James' neck... "THANK YOU, DADDY!!!" Well, we overslept just a bit (it was sooooooo nice!) and by the time we had everybody up, dressed and hair fixed it was nearly 9:00. That means a very slim selection of donuts. (I always thought it was spelled "doughnuts," but apparently it's not. In Texas, anyway.) We drove on down to the Donut Palace (don't be fooled by the name--it's just your regular old Mom and Pop donut joint) and they were CLOSED. I even got out and checked the door, just in case. The kids tried to take the news as best they could, but the back of the van was filled with lots of quivering lips and red, teary eyes. We haven't been out for donuts in nearly a year (they were wearing reindeer antlers and Santa hats last time, as I recall) and they were soooooooooo excited. So, what were we to do?! We drove down to the other donut place in town. I think the word "DONUT" is painted on the outside of the building, but I don't know if they actually have a name. Unless it's simply DONUT. "Hey, kids! Do you want to go to DONUT this morning???" The DONUT is run by a Chinese family here in town. Chinese donuts. Hhmmm. We walked in and found an empty display case. Empty all except for about 6 apple fritters. I wish I could figure out how to write "apple fritter" to emphasize the Chinese accent on the words. The very friendly owner pert near attacked us when we came in the door. "Oh no! No donut--all gone! You too rate! We have appole freetor--you want appole freetor???" So we bought three appole freetors and some chocolate milk and sat down to enjoy. It's quite a place, really. I don't think they've done any remodeling or repairs for at least 30 years. In the next few minutes they sold out of the remaining 3 fritters and pulled out a box of yesterday's donuts to start hawking them as well. They were kind enough to tell the people that they were a day old, though. I guess that's good. The wife works the register and the husband and grown son keep the customers company. At least that's apparently what they do once all the donuts are gone. The two of them came and stood by our table and talked up a storm. They are quite possibly the friendliest Chinese people I've ever chanced to meet. They asked a dozen questions about our family and the kids and their ages and if the boys are twins or not... Eventually they asked why the kids weren't in school and I told them that I teach them at home. That's when a Jewish man at another table (the only other customer) piped up: "You Mennonite???" "No," I said, "just Christian!" "Oh... You Amish?????" Ha! I had to laugh. I've been asked a lot of things, but never that! I don't think I qualify to be Amish and they'd probably be greatly offended if they knew someone thought I was one of them. I have bangs and was wearing a purple skirt and no apron or kapp. Nonetheless, it was an interesting conversation to go along with the rest of our interesting morning. The "appole freetors" were very good, just so you know.

Now we're home and resuming life after the DONUT. Sam was pretending to be Paladin while Katie and Joe were playing Uno on the floor. Joe won the first two games and Katie was getting rather edgy. (She's a terrible loser. I can't imagine where she gets that from.) Joe, being the sympathetic one of the bunch, kept telling her, "It's okay, Katie. I prayed for you to win the next game, so I'm sure you will! Watch, you'll see!" He can be a creep, but he's got more natural niceness that either of the other kids. He can be so thoughtful. Anyway, Katie lost again, but managed to keep her emotions in check. Kind of. Anyway, James just left for Odessa and took a very excited Katie girl with him. "Is it my turn to go with you, Daddy?! Is it? Pleeeeeeease?!" She loves a good father/daughter day. So that leaves me here with the boys today. It'll be fun! They're such a mess. I need to finish up on my WMB service for tonight, so I'm hoping they'll have one of those really great get-along-and-keep-each-other-entertained kind of days!

We had a service at the nursing home here in town last night. It was great! We just sang a few songs, Tammy read a Psalm, and we had a prayer with them, then just visited for a little while. I think I counted 28 residents at one point. Oh, and Katie sang a song, so that made all of the old people happy. They were so sweet -- and there was this adorable 100 year old man who played "How Great Thou Art" on the harmonica! We're looking forward to going back again sometime soon.

That's it for now. I'd best get something accomplished!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 8:43 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

I am SO proud of you that you know it's is a kapp. You must read Beverly Lewis. :-)

One of the "stepping stones" the Lord used to bring me to The Church of God was a six-month stint in an Amish Mennonite sect with my family when I was 12. Quite an experience (though we COULD have electricity and cars)! ;-)

Hey Rachel! Thanks for stopping by! Haven't lost or broken anything lately, have you?! ;-)

Yeah, I read one series of Beverly Lewis' books. It must have been SO NEAT to live among those people for six months as a youngster! My husband grew up near a whole slew of Amish communities in Pennsylvania and I LOVE going to visit there. There's just something so wholesome about it, you know? And Katie is drawn to it as well. We drove past a Mennonite school one day and all of the girls were outside barefoot in their dresses and aprons, playing baseball. She told me later that she wanted to be a little Amish girl! I love it that she's drawn to their "holy" appearance. There is something so simple and beautiful and NOT presumptuous about those people. But how much better to strive for holiness AND have the Holy Ghost truly living and dwelling within!!! The Amish people miss out on a lot that way. Still, we could stand to learn a few things from them! :-)

What a day this has been! It's 10:00pm and I just now read the second half of your post! I didnt' realize I'd gotten interrupted this morning when I was reading about the Chinese donuts, and never finished reading the whole post. I didn't know about the father/daughter and mother/sons day. Did everybody have a great time? Of course I read above about the illegal brownie sundaes, but did anybody have any fun that didn't involve "cheating" on fast day? LOL!