It's Not My Fail!  

Posted by cokelady

I had a German friend who used to say that. He spoke fluent English, but never could figure out when to use "fail" and when to use "fault." He also brushed his teeth with a tooshbruff. Ha!

Anyway, it's really and truly not my fault that I haven't blogged in several days. It's God's. Really!!! We have had killer thunderstorms off and on all week and any time I've had a chance to go to the computer we seemed to be right in the middle of one. James won't let me anywhere near the power button when there's thunder and lightening outside, or even if it's raining mildly. Or a cloud appears way off in the distance. (Okay, so he's not that bad, but close!) So I've been unable to blog because I've been unable to turn the computer on. Now you know. It's not that I'm afraid of more typos. I happen to like them. They humanize your writings and make them feel more personable. Or something like that. So apparently there are a whole bunch of oopsies in the regional paper this month, hu? I had no idea and now I'm scared to look. And I'm certainly not going to mention it to James! Really, I'm just glad to know that somebody is reading enough of it to find that there are mistakes--that's a good thing! Thanks, Em! What a pal!!! I can always count on you... to find and point out my mistakes, to make better cards than me, to become the Blog Queen and make me look like a total loser... All of which make me mostly really happy that you're my friend and sister-in-law; only slightly jealous. ;-)

Ooooooohhh. Looks like I'm in a rambling mood tonight. Maybe it's 'cause I have to make up for lost time. Or mabye it's because we've had such a great day today. We woke up this morning to huge thunder and lightening and severe storm warnings for all of west Texas. There was golf ball sized hail just south and flooding all around us. When no tragedy actually strikes, I love days like that! We immediately cancelled whatever other plans we might have had and declared it Family Day! I went to the kitchen and made some brownies right off the bat. You know you're in for a good day when you have fresh brownies first thing in the morning! I pitched a tent in the living room for the kids to play in and did some mild cleaning. Made some pepperoni pinwheels (these terrific little appetizer thingies) and homemade pizza for lunch. Believe it or not, it's the first time I've ever made homemade pizza (unless Totinoes count--ha!) and it was great! I let the kids watch Little House on the Prairie while I took a nap in the afternoon. It just doesn't get any better than that! We had nursing home service tonight, then went to Tortas y Mas to pick up some dinner. Put the kid-o's to bed, then I whipped out a new skirt for Katie. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ho! Ho! Ho! Hee! Hee! Hee! Hee! Ha! Ha! Ha! That's hilarious! I've never "whipped out" anything in my life if it involved a sewing machine. I'd probably spend a full hour just trying to make a hankie. Pitiful. I actually started Kate's skirt right after my nap, but--as always--I hit a few unexpected kinks and just finished it up a few minutes ago. And now I've had my sewing fix and probably won't do it again for at least 6 months. Katie was REALLY needing a new play skirt though--a big, full one that she can run and be wild in. Now she has one! That almost makes it worth all the hassle. Maybe by tomorrow it will feel worth it, but tonight the frustration of sewing is still draining off.

Let's see, what else is going on around here... Joe has another weapons ban in effect until next Monday. ~sigh~ That kid. Shot Sam just under the eye with a pencil. (Using a hanger as a bow.) James totally freaks out about such things and is just sure that he's going to cost somebody an eye. After his spankin' we blindfolded him and made him find his way to the table and eat the first half of his dinner "blind" so he'd know what it would be like if somebody lost their eyesight. I don't think it did any good as far as teaching him to be careful not to shoot people's eyes out, but it certainly made for some interesting dinner conversation.

We rounded up all of the kids' birthday money and headed to Odessa yesterday in search of new bikes for Katie and Joe. The old ones were just too small, so Sam has inherited Joe's old one and Kate and Joe have brand new ones. They are sooooooo excited! Except that they haven't been able to get much use out of them due to the crazy weather. They were able to ride for a little while when we got home yesterday while James and I were out back working on the yard. I cleaned out the storage area on the side of the house (it was a WRECK) and James ripped out the old, nasty shrubs and bushes and relocated some stepping stones and things like that. It felt sooooooo good to get that done! The kids helped quite a bit, too. Especially Joe. James gave him a shovel and told him to move dirt from this spot to that spot (truly necessary, not just a meaningless job) and he just worked and worked and worked. Did a great job! He'll probably be spending more time with tools this week since he's not able to have weapons.

Sam has warts. That's nothing new, but I don't think I've ever announced it before. He's got these tiny little bumps just under his nose that we are assuming are little warts. There used to be just two or three of them and now there are 6 or 7. He also has 2 on his right hand. I haven't had a chance to really research it yet, but I did glance at a website earlier today about treating warts and one of the popular methods is called duct tape occlusion treatment. I just read the name and thought, "Perfect!!!" What could be better for a kid like Sam?! Apparently you keep the wart covered with duct tape for 6 or 7 days, then remove the tape, soak the area and gently scrub it with a pumice stone. You keep on repeating this for up to 2 months until the wart disappears. Some of the people said it took just a few days, some said a few weeks or more. Some said it didn't work at all, but for every person who said that, there were at least 10 or 12 who said it worked great for them. Sounds just ducky...except for the location of Sam's warts! I think it would be fitting, but I just don't know if James would let me duct tape our kid's face for 2 months! Ha! He'd go to Camp looking like that, Regional Convention... Apparently the tape suffocates the wart (warts are a virus and require oxygen to continue living) and something in the glue on duct tape also irritates the skin and prompts your immune system to send extra assistence to that particular area, thus fighting the virus more than it had been doing previously. Amazing. I'm dying to try it, but I'll have to talk James into it first.

Well, it's late. I should get going. I have a big mess to clean up in the morning due to my sewing project. That's another thing about sewing. Things always go wrong and without fail I end up having to undo something I thought was completed (I spend more time with the seam ripper than the actual machine), it takes 2 to 10 times longer to complete whatever project I've chosen, and then the room is totally trashed when I'm done and there's all kinds of time consuming recovery cleaning to be done. If I could find decent clothes for the kid, there is no way I'd mess with this! I just didn't inherit Mom's knack for sewing. Or singing. Or playing the piano. But I'm pretty good with a roll of duct tape! :-) G'night all!

~Becki~

P.S. -- Large font is just for you, Raymone!

This entry was posted on 9:58 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

11 comments

Woohoo! Yippee! Hooray!
Great post Bec!

I'm all for the duct tape idea. It sounds perfect! But it would definitely be better if the warts weren't on his face. Poor kid...I can just imagine him with a wad of duct tape under his nose. Maybe he could pretend it's a mustache!

And I'm totally with you on the sewing business. I haven't got any sewing genes either. Right now the sewing machine gets used to stitch on cards sometimes and even then it's a pain occasionally.

Congratulations again on a very entertaining post!

Becky, have you gone too

www.modestapparelusa.com

they have things that are great, in my opinion. Let me know if you like them.
I am with you...sewing is sooo not my knack. I am tired after 10 minutes. Forget the seam ripper, I give up! My sewing project from two weeks ago (i think)is still laying in a messed up heap. :(

Wow! Thanks, Kasey!!! What a great site! However... I'd be scared to death to order from them because I'm built so weird. When you measure me in different places, I fit the chart for three differnt sizes! I never know how something is going to look on me until I try it on. Then there's Katie. She's such a beanpole--I think the last dress Mom made her was a size THREE...with the length of a size EIGHT! Ha! I just don't know if you can find garments that would fit us, you know?! I may have to give it a try one of these days though--see if I can spare myself some sewing grief. ;-) Thanks again for the tip!

It's about time you posted! And blaming God? Shame on you!
As for your sewing skills, where there's a will there's a way. You just never had enough "will." Just like me and crocheting and knitting. Why did I need to learn? Grandma Babe would gladly knit or crochet anything I wanted. But now she's gone and I'm going to have to learn how for myself. I'm confident I CAN learn, I just never had the "will" until now.
--Let me know how the duct tape works out. =)

Try the duct tape on Sam's hand and if it works...maybe Brother James will let you duct tape Sam's face. (I am imagining the poor kid walking around with duct tape on his face...TOOO hilarious!)

As for typos...I found a few, but unlike Em, I was going to be nice and not say anything. ~giggle~ You got your paper printed and mailed out at least...I'm still waiting for the ever illusive toner refills to arrive. UGH!

Get some brown or black duct tape and cut some fringe in it. If you keep him in his cowboy gear, you can at least tell "child services" he's playing cowboy dress up and he's "Festus". ;):) :)

Ha!!! What a terrific idea!!! Thanks, Sister Tammy!!! -- I'll talk to James. ;-)

You might not of "inherited" your Mother's knack for things (Although I think I agree with your Mom :) ) But you sure know how to blog well. I enjoyed your larger fonts too. Maybe I'm getting old.....

sorry....i put beckY, not beckI....

I forgot to comment to your message because I went on that modern adornment website and spent way too much time there admiring some of the handiwork.

ha!!! Thanks, Casey. It's on my favorites list.

I have a kid in my class this year from Latvia who misuses words at times. It's cute. I love his accent; it's almost like Arnold Schwarzenegger, but not quite as pronounced.

excuse me, modest adornment *rolling eyes* I'm such a goof sometimes.