Ugh and More Ugh  

Posted by cokelady

Been a couple more of those days around here. Nobody truly sick, just... well, ugh. That's just kinda how we feel. As far as I know, James is still doing fine. HA. "As far as I know," I say. As if I wouldn't know if he were feeling ugh like the rest of us. Everybody knows when James isn't feeling up to par! It's a guy thing.

Yesterday, in spite of the ugh, I got all of the laundry and ironing caught up again. That always feels so good. It's amazing how quickly it piles up with a family of five. I can't imagine how Emilee keeps up, much less folks like Betsy Cox! Anyway, I watched Happy Feet while I ironed. James and/or I always preview movies before we let the kids watch them and somebody had lent (is that right?! It looks weird!) this one to us a few days ago, so I figured I'd check it out. Not recommended. From the opening scene I thought Hu-uh!!! No way are my kids watching this! I don't care if they are penguins, it is soooooooo sensual! There's a bunch of other craziness off and on throughout the show that I would deem unacceptable as well, but the sensual stuff and all of the environmentalist stuff was just more than I could handle. But even if it weren't for all of that stuff, the movie's just not that good! It has a cute part here or a funny part there or a suspenseful part over there... but in between all of that it's just dumb. And not one my kids will be watching. Or me, ever again! I'm sure some folks will think I'm totally over-reacting, but I can't help it. I felt guilty that I'd even watched it the first time!

I am excited, however, to learn that there will be a sequel to National Treasure! Wa-Hoo!!! I love that movie. I just hope they keep #2 (Book of Secrets, I think it's called) as clean as the first one. Fun, fun, fun!

James worked Mardel today, so Tammy came over to hang out for a little while. It's been a long time since she's been able to do that! She even brought me a Frito Wrap and a Cherry Limeade. What a pal! We usually play games when we get together, but I'm in the midst of a game dilemma (long story), so we decided to forgo that today and watch Anne of Green Gables. Wow--this whole post is about movies! Bad, bad, bad! Ha! It had been a long time since I'd watched the Anne movies and even longer for Tammy, so it was nice. I remember watching those movies while I was in the beginning stages of labor with Sam. I waited until the movie was over before I mentioned it to anybody 'cause I didn't want to interrupt the show. ;-)

The only other thing that happened around here was vacuuming the house, cleaning the kitchen floor, and ziti and breadsticks for dinner. At bedtime I finished reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to the little ones (what a flop--I was sooooooo disappointed!) and Katie is now wanting the two of us to read Anne of Green Gables together, her interest being sparked by the movie today. We may do that, then I'd like to get into the Elsie books Mom has been telling me about. Anything that would help build good Christian character into that little girl of mine sounds great to me! :-)

I'd best be on my way. I'm trying to get a little extra sleep in hopes of beating the ugh and getting back to 100% working order. That would make that slave driver husband of mine happy, too, I'm sure. ~crack!~ Is that a whip I hear?! HA! Okay, I'm outta here. G'night!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 8:16 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

Now WHICH elsie books are you going to get?

I've read both the original and the new ones. They rewrote the originals in more modern language and condensed them. Even though the new books are a bit easier to read, they cut off right after she has children. There are 8 in the new series, but 28 in the original series. Of the two, I always liked the original best. And it was just as easy for my brothers and I to understand at 8 and under.

On long road trips, Momma would read this series to us. It actually made us look FORWARD to long drives cause it was the only time that she would read us the books. As you can imagine, it took us a while to make it through all the books. :)

But as far as the books themselves, published from 1867-1905, Elsie Dinsmore is one of the best characters in literature, chiristian or secular, ever. I whole heartily encourage you to get these books for your family!

Here is one place I recommend for getting the books or at least looking at them:

ORIGINAL BOOKS:
Elsie Dinsmore Classics
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=72064&netp_id=212723&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW


NEW BOOKS:
Elsie Dinsmore:Life of Faith
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=49805&netp_id=444045&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW

or just go to www.CBD.com and type in Elsie Dinsmore

The only reason I can think that arctic circle doesn't have some kind of online contact for the fry sauce is because they're trying to stick to good ol fashion snail mail. Who knows, but I know I have one good lookin bottle in the fridge waiting for some fries. Can you hear that delicious sauce calling you now becki?? jealous?? :p Somehow, i dont believe the whole "slave driver" thing, but nice try. :) Glad to know about happy feet, I had heard mixed reviews but I am REALLY picky with movies so this helps.

Josh watched it and didn't recommend it so we have never watched it and I don't think we ever will, especially after hearing what you have to say about it.

A sequel to National Treasure?!!! yeah! Do you know when it is to come out?

National Treasure: Book of Secrets is supposed to hit theaters this coming December. But since that doesn't affect any of us (it had BETTER not affect anybody on this blog, anyway!), I'm guessing maybe next spring, maybe summer, before it's out on video. If it's as good as the first one it will be well worth the wait. :-)

Megan, I intend to read the original Elsie books. Thanks for the links and info--very helpful!!! I've heard nothing but good about the series and I look forward to going through it with Katie one of these days.

Kasey, YOU'RE JUST MEAN!!! How could you brag about having a jar of fry sauce in the fridge when you are aware that my supply was exhausted over a year ago?! Cruel and heartless, that's what it is. Tell me again though, what is your address??? I may pay you a visit sometime... ;-)

I'm telling ya! My momma is coming down here in THREE weeks. I can ask her to bring me some bottles and THEN I will ship them to you. BUT NOOOOOOOO, you won't take me up on my offer. So how can I help you with this fry sauce dilemma if you WONT accept my help! I do not feel remotely sad for you. You had fry sauce at your very fingertips, still do, so i ask you this question. Deal or No Deal?

DEAL! DEAL! DEAL!!! I'll have to okay it with the whip cracker, of course, but I'm sure something can be arranged. If James says it's a go, I'll take three bottles, please! I'll ask him about it and be sure to get back with you. :-)