School, School, School  

Posted by cokelady

We've actually been doing it! Ha! I shouldn't say it that way. We've always done it, just not as faithfully as I would have liked. We have spurts where we are really good at doing it regularly, and then we really struggle for a while and it gets kind of sporadic. Truthfully, I've not been concerned about it up until this point. Katie loves anything scholastic and could probably give the majority of 3rd graders a run for their money. (Nathan excluded, of course!) Joe is doing great too and, for a five year old, is reading quite well and seems to have a real flair for math. So I haven't been concerned about the school regimen all that much. Their little brains seem to be thriving and they're learning things so quickly that I've hardly seen the need to push the issue. But of late I've been praying for God to help us to get back in whack with a regular school schedule. Honestly, it's more for the discipline aspect of it than the actual bookwork--although I don't mean to belittle the latter. We just need to get into a regular daily routine that will lend more security and orderliness to our lives, you know? Anyway, God's been helping us and the past week or two have been great. Katie and Joe are each doing 5 subjects a day, I believe, and are doing great at them. Katie just started adding double digit numbers today and is loving it. Joe is learning his nouns and verbs and seems to be liking it pretty well.

Then there's Sam. He is probably the real reason I'm writing all of this. I need help!!! Sam is our class flunkie. Ha! I know, I know--he's far too young to be accused of such a thing, but for real! And don't start rebuking me, Mom--I haven't been calling him that, thus placing the thought in his head. ;-) But the kid is three and a half years old and doesn't have a clue what any of his letters are--except "S" (for "Sam"), he can usually recognize that one. He's got his colors down, but shapes and numbers are still a mystery to him. I've been wanting to start him into a preschool book (we have toyed around with a few of them), but there's really very, very little bookwork that can be done until the kid knows his letters! He can sing the alphabet song, but doesn't know what any of the letters look like. Weird!!! By the time Katie was 18 months old I could say any letter in the alphabet and she'd trot off to the kitchen and retrieve the proper magnet--correctly at least 95% of the time. Joe knew all of his colors, shapes, letters, and numbers by age 2 as well. And I don't recall ever really teaching them. I suppose I did, but it just happened so easily I couldn't really take the credit for anything. They just got it! I've never had to try to teach a kid these things before and I don't know how! Yesterday I took just three magnets from the fridge, the A, the B and the C. I worked with Sam for 15 minutes or more rehearsing which letter was which over and over and over again. I would think he had it and we'd move on to the next letter. A few seconds later when I asked him what the first letter was he would look at it, then me, and say, "What was it???" This happened dozens upon dozens of times. I had James try for a while tonight and he came up with basically the same results. What is this kid's problem?!?!? I know for a fact he's not dumb. He's as clever as can be--and learning some things is no problem for him. We've been doing memory verses with him for a year or more now and he does fine with them. He's currently memorizing a passage from James, chapter 1, and he's got verses 19-24 down pretty good--even the part about "laying apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness"! Ha! (It is soooooooo cute!!!) So how is it that a kid can master large passages of Scripture, but he can't seem to remember 3 little letters by sight??? James said he doesn't seem to have the desire or the attention span for it right now. He knows the verses because he listens to Katie and Joe rehearse them night after night, so I know that repetition gets through to him... but not visual repetition?! Why can't he figure out what letter is what?! I'm not panicked about the issue--he's still so young and I never want to put pressure on him to do things that he's just not ready to do. He's just much older than my other two were when they learned the basics. I would like to find a way to pique his interest in learning without cramming it down his throat and making him hate the whole "school" thing before he even gets started. I know one thing--I'm going to have to make it FUN if he's going to have anything to do with it. Any ideas would be helpful!!! Especially from anybody who's actually been through this before and has found a successful solution. Well...???

That's about it from here. School, school, school. Play, play, play. Clean, clean, clean. I spent a couple of hours with Mr. Clean earlier, working on the kitchen floor, table and chairs. I don't know how I ever made it before those nifty little Magic Erasers came along! I did the big scrub job on the floor, so that feels good. Sammy came to help me. It's not exactly a help, but it's always fun. Until he spills the bowl of sudsy water all over the floor. That kid. But he likes to help and rid the world of germs. He was telling Joe the other day, "I eat germs. I don't like germs, so I just eat 'em." I was too scared to ask him what the "germs" looked like that he had been eating. There's no telling. Weird-o. And the last three times the kid has had a bath he's forgotten to take off an article of clothing! The first time he worked and worked and worked to get his socks off and once he finally did he just slung his leg over into the tub, blue jeans and all. He'd spent so much time on the socks he forgot about all the rest, I guess. The next time he took off everything but the socks. Then tonight he was so excited about getting to the toys in the tub that he forgot to take his shirt off. Hey... maybe there is something wrong with his brain! Ha!

Well, I'm off. Got a few things I'd like to do before turning in. Until next time...

~Bec~

This entry was posted on 10:09 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

Becki just be patient, I know that is hard to do. I had the same problem with Bethany. She is very smart and talented. She is an excellent artist and singer, but as far as school work I didn't think she would ever catch on. Alot of it is just laziness. I was worried about the reading. At first I was afraid that she maybe a little dislexia, but her reading is getting much better. I never had to teach one to read, so it was a little challenging, but my youngest Rebekah is five and she catches on so much faster than Bethany did, I've had several people including some teachers that kids learn at their own pace. Kids are different. I have had to really pray for the Lord the help me, because I don't want my children to be dumb. Like I said before just be patient. Try different games with the ABC's. I know what helped my children was this magnetic ABC board that has a chalkboard on the back. I would just sat down with them and we would go over the letters, then I would pull them all off and tell them to find a certain letter and put it where it goes. That's what helped them. It's just repetition. I know what you mean also about not being disciplined. We need to do better at that also. Hang in there.

Hey Becki,
I had a hard time with Dalton. I introduced one letter per day (in 26 days, he'll know his letters). And I would review the letter from the day before to make sure he knew it, before I went to the next letter. He loved to play games. So I got flash cards with the alphabet on them and we went over and over the letters. And when he got a letter right I would give him the card, when he got it wrong I would get the card. And whoever got the most cards at the end would win. You could also give a prize, like you'll watch a movie of his choice with him or a special treat or something. He loved it. And it made it fun for him.

My Mom used the same thing to teach all 7 kids to read and it worked. It's a tape or CD set with a booklet that goes with it, called "Hear See Say" by Melody House Publishing. I know that Sam isn't ready to read yet but he could listen to the first part... You look at the letter and the picture that goes with it while you listen to a teacher and kids go through the alphabet and say the name of the letter and it's sound, like, "A, ahhh, apple". Since Sam does so well with memorizing words, maybe the combination of sight and sound would be good for him? Anyhow, just an idea. (Oh, once they have the alphabet sounds, they can "graduate" to the next side of the tape... "th, ch, wh" sounds and stuff like that. Maybe Sam could just stay on the first side for awhile?)

He is still young... BUT something fun that might help... get all the kids to form the letters with their body. Take a picture. Do only a few letters a day. That might help.. he would have to study how it looks to figure out where to lay. Make them keep saying the letter they are making. Then get him to make a "letter" for Dad... see if that helps. Of course this would require getting the other kids to help him.

Relax. The boy's only 3 years old! Don't force the issue. Let him take his time. I'm sure every kindergarten teacher can testify to having numerous children who didn't know the alphabet at age 5. Every child is different, and Sam is different in a LOT of ways! He doesn't have a learning disability, he's just not ready. Right now he's too busy ridding the world of germs by eating them! He's got bigger priorities than learning the alphabet. He probably senses your concern and you don't want that to transfer to him to where he starts to think he's dumb, since Momma thinks maybe he is. Act like it's no big deal. Later, in a couple of years, if he still hasn't learned the alphabet, THEN beat him. *BIG grin*

Kristal's suggestion is what we've done. I made up flashcards with pictures and the letters (upper and lowercase). The picture association seemed to help. I've not really spent any time working with Luke and he's almost five. But, low and behold, he knows his letters REALLY good all at once. We played Scrabble Junior today and he never hesitated once about where his letters belonged.

Also, Mom is right...he's a boy and their job is to rid the world of whatever injustice they deem important! Don't worry about Sam...when he's good and ready, he'll take off. We eased up on Caleb and he's taken off with reading. He doesn't read for entertainment yet (who needs books when you've got his imagination?!) but he CAN when he needs to.

The other thing that we've used is computer learning games. I'm pretty sure that's how Luke has come to learn his letters and numbers.

Bec, I gotta' agree with your mom. Three's too young to be overly concerned. I'd take it really slow and only spend a few minutes a day on it.

Also, it sounds like he's a definite kinesthetic learner rather than visual. Hands on is probably better for him. I think Wendy's suggestion would really work for him, but also let him write the letters. Kinesthetic learners need to DO and not just see. I'd just do one letter a day and let him paint the letter or make the letter out of play-doh or write it in chalk on the sidewalk ... whatever floats his boat, but I would probably stop the recognition technique (magnets, etc.). It's not likely that it's gonna' work with him.

Based on how you describe his personality, your concern about burn-out is very valid. He will get to that point if he's pushed too hard so just take it nice and slow.

It'll all come in time. :-)