Much Better, Thank You  

Posted by cokelady

That's how I'm feeling since my whopper of a nap this afternoon. I was feeling really crummy again today, so when I put the kids down at 2:30 I crashed on the couch and was out cold until the phone rang at 4:00!!! Whoa!!! And it was one of those weird not-really-awake kind of sensations. Don't you hate those?! You know, when you wake up, but not really. I wandered around the living room listening to the phone ringing and thinking, "What is that? Where is it? What do I do when I find it???" I finally got it figured out (kind of) and even remembered to say hello. Luckily it was just Tammy. She didn't even seem to notice my condition, so I guess it all worked out. Anyway, once I finally felt truly awake I realized that this is the best I've felt in several days now! I feel very nearly GREAT! :-)

Been a good day around here, for the most part. School went great with Joe, but I had an all-out war with Katie for a while over hers. It brought back so many bad memories. Remember those things your Mom used to do when you were a kid that drove you nuts and you secretly vowed that you would never do those things to your kids? Like when she would lick her thumb, then use it to scrub your face?! Eeeeewwww!!! That one still gives me the willies! Well, I remember that first year Mom and Dad decided to homeschool me. It was cool for the most part, but we had some bumpy times, too. Well do I remember the image of my mother standing next to me nearly in tears, her head thrown back and her flexing hands outstretched and pounding the air with every syllable as she screamed, "'OF' IS A PREPOSITION!!!!!!!" This was not a one-time occurance. In fact, it was repeated so many times that it is the one and only piece of English that I have never doubted. I will never forget that the little two-letter word is a preposition. Why it matters, I never did figure out--but I know that it IS and I think that was the point. Anyway, after 47 failed attempts today I was the crazed mother hovering over a little girl screaming, "CARRY THE ONE--YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO CARRY THE ONE!!!" Math was quite a trial today. We finally took a break and had a good, long talk about attitude and how it affects everything we do. I told her to just relax for a few minutes and work on the attitude thing, then we'd try again. After a few minutes she was in the office hollering for me with great excitement. She'd done it! She'd figured it out and had done the rest of the page all by herself! It was done correctly and--more importantly--it was done happily. ~sigh~ Success. It felt really good. For both of us!

The kids have been carrying their load around here lately. By that I mean that they've been providing us with lots of entertainment. That's why people have kids, right?! If not, they don't know what they're missing out on! I forgot to blog about this, but last Sunday morning Sam got up real early to go to the bathroom. I heard him go into the bathroom, then I heard Katie in the boys' room trying to wake Joe up. "Joe, just open your eyes and you'll be able to wake up just fine. Come on, Joe." I looked at the clock. 5:45am. I got out of bed and went into the boys' room and found Katie fully dressed, sitting on Joe's bed and Joe sort of moaning as he blinked his eyes trying to figure out what was going on. I told Katie it was too early to get up and to go back to bed. She said she'd already made her bed. I went and looked. Sure enough, the kid had gotten up and dressed herself, cleaned her room and made her bed. There was a stack of books on her bed that she'd been reading, too, and some pictures she had drawn. I asked how long she'd been up. She told me that when she made her bed she thinks the clock said 3:28!!!! Since that time she had just been biding her time, waiting for the rest of us to rouse! Can you imagine?! What a freak!!! Katie is usually our latest sleeper, so this has never been a problem before. I made up a new rule on the spot. No getting out of bed until the clock says 7 or 8 something! What a weird-o!

The kids have just discovered the game of checkers this past week and ask to play with it all the time. Katie's the only one who actually knows how to play though, so it never goes very well. It usually ends with her playing by herself and the boys taking all of the chess pieces and setting up their armies to play "the Alamo."

Joe is quite proud of his manliness this evening. For some time now Katie has been giving piggy-back rides to the boys, but Joe hasn't been able to support her weight in return. Well, tonight he called me into the living room and reported with great pride that he is now strong enough to carry Katie. She stood on a chair and climbed onto his back. He actually made it to his intended destination (the couch in the other room), but I have no idea how! He took sharp, quick little steps and weaved the whole way there like a drunkard, Katie nearly toppling one direction and then the other for the duration of the trip. I couldn't help but laugh at the sight, but was sure to praise him for his great feat of strength and manliness. :-)

Ah yes, that reminds me. Joe has decided that he hates girls. It's the influence of Calvin, I'm sure. (The little boy with the stuffed tiger, not the founder of the religion!) When I put him to bed tonight the song was playing on his radio, "This is my commandment, that ye love one another, that your joy may be full." I asked if he loved everybody like God has commanded us to and he said that he did. All except the girls.

A few days ago he came to the table in all of his cowboy garb and Katie came wearing a blanket on her head, vail style. Joe said with a hint of disgust in his voice. "Katie's just dressed like that 'cuz I'm a cowboy and she wants to marry me. But cowboys don't get married." There was a long pause and then he ventured nervously, "Do they???" I said, "Well, now, let me think... Matt Dillon never got married. And... Paladin never got married." That's all the confirmation he needed. "I'm not gettin' married." "Never?," I asked. "Nope." "Well," I said, "if you don't get married you can't ever have kids." You should have seen the look of surprise and disappointment on his face! "You can't???" "Nope, you've got to have a wife if you want to have kids." He looked at his plate and I heard him mumbling something about "no kids" under his breath. In a few seconds he looked up with an I've-solved-the-dilemma sort of expression and said, "How 'bout if I get a wife and we could have some kids... Then I could sell the wife and keep the kids?!" Ha! Could you die?! I told him that he can't sell his wife, but he needed a valid reason why not. I told him that God says he can't and the law of the land says he can't. He was quiet a little while longer before asking what exactly they'd do to you if you sold your wife. After all, it might be worth it! Ha!

Well, I should go. I'll slap some pictures up here first though. I've been meaning to show you the flowers that didn't get washed away in all of the flooding after all! Look at all the big, bright color!!! I can't believe how much they've grown and how many blooms some of them have now. Wow!!!


And here are some pictures of my little heros. Sam is our resident fireman and Joe is our little cop... with a cowboy holster and cap gun--which he finally enjoys shooting, by the way. (Although I still catch him sometimes looking away when he pulls the trigger! Ha!) I took the pictures tonight to show how filthy they were, but you really can't tell at all. Eeew. You should have seen the bath water when they were done! Boys are so gross.






Hope you all have a great night and really great Sunday services! We're trusting that we'll see our visitors back again tomorrow. :-) God bless!!!

~Rebekah~

This entry was posted on 8:14 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

HA! Great stories, Bec. You had me laughing so hard, tears came to my eyes! I'm picturing a mad woman hovering over her half-hearted-scholar-of-a-child, quivering with emotion and desperation. Bad memories, but hilariously funny now! All I can say is, you DESERVE to have children try your patience as you homeschool them! HA! PAY BACKS are sweet consolation. *heh, heh, heh, heh!*
The pictures are GREAT. Your flowers are so pretty. Doesn't that make you feel so good, and like you've accomplished something worthwhile? The kids are too cute. It's obvious they provide more than average entertainment!

Great stories! I can totally relate to the crazed teacher and patience-trying student story! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. HA!

And Joe...oh, I do love Joe! What a smart kid to think of getting married so he can have kids and then selling his wife. That is TOO funny!

Yes, I've often wondered how people who don't have children ever REALLY laugh! Children are such a huge source of entertainment.

Wow. I can't believe you have only TWO comments after a great post like that! Citizens of Blogville have gotten really lazy lately. *shaking head in dismay*

Anonymous  

You had not told me that story of Joe. I laughed alot. He is great. I to love Joe.
I don't have kids to make me laugh, but I do have Sam Kaufman that makes me laugh everyday. Life would not be near as much fun w/out him. He is great.

Oh, you are so right Tammy! Sam is a constant source of entertainment too!

I have a question, are ALL kids this entertaining? because I don't know that I was THIS entertaining. Then again, I was an only child with only horses on the brain.

I feel the same way as Emily. I am so glad that I'm not the only one going through all of that in homeschool. Dalton is having problems with er,ir,and ur. It's horrible, I feel like I've repeated them 1000 times this year. This has not been a good year and he's only in 2nd grade. What do we do when they get in the harder grades. We need serious prayer.