What to Say...  

Posted by cokelady

Seems like there are so many things to blog about I don't know where to start. Actually, there's nothing all that monumental--just a bunch of little stuff I've been forgetting. Like the kids' bike ride the other day. I decided that it was time we go "out" for a bike ride so they can experience more than riding around the little triangle of sidewalk in our backyard where they have to make a sharp turn every 8'. So a few days ago we got the bikes out and headed toward the highschool where I knew there was lots of sidewalk space and parking lot to make use of. (I also knew classes were out for the day.) Sam asked for help right away--was just having a hard time getting his bike to move as fast as he wanted it to. So I was pushing him as Katie and Joe sped off in front of us. After about a block it suddenly occurred to me that it was a lot harder to push that little bike than it should be. I looked down and noticed that the back tire was completely flat. Great. Can't turn around now--the kids are sooooooo excited to be on their very first real bike ride. So I just kept on pushing. We made it to the highschool and Katie took off full speed across the parking lot. She was just flying... aimed straight for the curb! I didn't have time to respond, so all I got out was, "Katie, don't...!!!" just as she rammed into it. Her bike kind of hopped, made her lunge forward, then jumped the curb and kept going--she never missed a lick! I couldn't believe it. Unfortunatly Joe was following her and didn't have the speed she had. He hit the curb head on and came to a dead stop, immediately jumped off and commenced crying while holding his backside. I called them over to me and went over some biking basics (that I don't recall ever having to be told, personally) such as not hitting curbs and light poles and open manholes. So Katie chose to simply ram into Joe's bike instead. Not really. They've both got training wheels on their bikes (I know, I know, I'm a bad Mom--I'm just letting them get used to the new bikes for a few weeks before we start trying to teach them to really ride!) and she tried to pass him (at warp speed--the only one she knows) and their training wheels caught. Nobody got hurt, but from that time on Katie's bike would sometimes refuse to let her pedal. I finally discovered that the chain guard had been knocked out of whack (by the now out-of-line training wheel) and was pushing against the back wheel. We worked around that, but decided to head home pretty quick. Things weren't turning out as well as I had hoped, you know?! And while all of Katie and Joe's action was taking place I was still stuck pushing the kid with the flat tire. When we got home Katie tried to ride her bike up the walk and suddenly found herself pedaling for all she was worth, but to no avail. Her chain had come off! Good grief! How many problems can a kid encounter on one bike ride?! The very first one on a brand new bike, no less! But that's not all. The next day when she went to ride around the back yard we discovered that her front tire was flat! I know because I went out to work on it in my bright pink pajamas Saturday morning before the Sno-Cone sale. (I didn't want to take a chance of getting grease on me after I was dressed and ready to go. I did, however, serve Sno-Cones all day with that can't-get-the-grease-out-from-under-your-fingernails-no-matter-how-hard-you-try thing going on. Gross.) Anyway, I got the pump, but it wouldn't pump up at all. All I can figure is that she must've blown the thing when she slammed into the curb. So now her brand new bike is sitting out back with one wheel on and miscellaneous parts scattered nearby, waiting for Dad to find the right size tube to replace the one she busted. He worked on it for a while today, but she'll have to wait until the next Odessa trip for the new tire. Nothing like the joy of a new bike, let me tell you!

James found a turtle in the front yard the other day, so we took it out back, introduced everybody, tried to make friends, offered it some dog food (that's what my cousin feeds her turtles!), then kept an eye on it for as long as we could. As soon as we got distracted it made a run for it. It either found a very, very good hiding place, or it found a way out of the backyard--which is precisely what I would have done if I, as a turtle, found myself locked in a yard with three lively kids and a dog. Anyway, here are some pictures we took before we lost him.

"Anybody in there???"


"Hello in there...anybody home???"


"Just wait, Mr. Turtle--you only think you're scared now. Wait 'til you get to know me a little better...Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Hershey was thoroughly impressed, as you can see. He wasn't nearly as calm when I was offering his food to the new little guy, I assure you!

We had a good Mother's Day service yesterday complete with four adult visitors and the two little ones. :-) One of these adults was brand new--a daughter of one of the other ladies. It is sooooooo exciting!!! They seem to really enjoy the services and talk and act like they intend to be around for a while. I trust and pray that they will! Tammy (with some assistance from James and Emilee--on different projects) had arranged some very, very nice gifts for all of the Moms (more on that later) and it was just a really nice service.

Afterwards James asked Sam & Tammy if they wanted to go to Odessa with us for a nice "Mother's Day" dinner. Tammy, although having no children of her own, has been an amazing mother to Brother Ellis and Sister Elizabeth--for months now, but especially this past week!!! She's been killing herself trying to take care of their every need and beyond. It's been a very, very long and stressful week for her and she needed a break so bad! (Not that she would ever complain or ask for a break, but she sure deserved one!) We had planned on setting up the Sno-Cone sale again, but Tammy said the trip to Odessa sounded wonderful so we loaded up and went to Johnny Carino's for dinner. Way too rich for our blood (any of us!) usually, but hey, it was a holiday! And if you order a family platter it all evens out pretty well. It was soooooooooo good and just so nice to have some time to relax and visit with Sam and Tammy. It hasn't been all that long, but after the past week it seems like ages! It was a great time. And I got the best cherry cream Italian soda I've ever had. Then another one. And one more to go. ;-) Hey, you get unlimited refills and when you pay $2.25 for a drink it's only right that you try to get your money's worth, right?! :-)

We drove back to Andrews and everybody changed clothes and headed to Thriftway to set up the sale for another hour or two. James even joined us this time and had a blast. He loves the whole selling thing. It's in his blood or something and he gets a real rush out of it. It was great to have him there with us. Of course, he and Sam probably ate more Sno-Cones than we sold (no kidding!), but we still made some extra dough and after the two days we ended up with about $65, I think--which is enough to pay for two kids or one adult tuition to Camp. Every little bit helps! Here's a picture of James hamming it up, Tammy cheerily awaiting another customer, and Sam doing what he does best: talking! Ha! That guy knows everybody in town. It helps a lot at fund raisers like this!


And here's a picture of that last minute sign we scribbled up on Saturday morning. You know, the one that is so offensive to Church of God (elders) ministers. ;-) Only some of them, I'm sure! Tammy said he probably didn't like the way we looked and didn't want people to think we were part of his church. After meeting him, I don't want people to make that mistake either! Ha! That's not a very charitable thing to say, is it? Hhmmm. I don't mean it in an ugly way--really! I'm just all the more thankful to be in God's Church after meeting him. :-)

Okay, I'd best get going. I intend to relax with my Country magazine and Reader's Digest for a while tonight. ~Aaaaaaahhhhhh~ I feel relaxed already, just thinking about it! But just a few more pictures before I skedaddle. These are the flowers James got for me for Mother's Day. Actually all of the church Mom's got one rose, two carnations, and three or four lillies in a small vase with pretty ribbon and a bookmark attached. I got that and this because I'm married to James. :-)


And here's the gift that Tammy had Emilee prepare for us church Mom's. (She gave them to us after church once the visitors were gone.) Aren't they fantastic?! THANK YOU TAMMY AND EMILEE!!! (Sorry I forgot to mention it on the phone today, Em--I love it!!!) The verse is one of my favorites: "Except the Lord build the house they labour in vain that build it." It goes on to say, "Except the Lord keep the city the watchman waketh but in vain." I always think of the things we're doing to try to raise our kids right and bring them up to fear God and serve Him wholeheartedly. I love the reminder that even all of our heartfelt efforts and good intentions are doomed to fail unless God is the one doing the work and guarding their souls. I can't do it; He has to do it. I needed that reminder just last night and it spurred me to a wonderful time with the Lord in prayer and much needed surrender once more. So double thanks, Tammy and Em--I needed that verse right now! :-)

Okay, I've kept you all far too long. Me too. I have reading to do, you know. ;-) Have a great night, all!

~Rebekah~

This entry was posted on 7:17 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

Beautiful flowers and the Tammy did an awesome job on the Mother's Day gift. She must be getting more confident in her crafting abilities.

Ahhhh yes! The bikes rules you are never told until it's too late! LOL! Don't forget to tell them not to turn in gravel when they are without the training wheels. I learned that one the hard way!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the flowers!

When me and Erika were kids... my dad would find a turtle like that and we would write our name, city and state on the bottom with a sharpie. It was always really cool to think about others finding it. :) It also encouraged us to let it go. Kinda like a message in a bottle only it was on a turtle and we didn't need rescuing.. the turtle did. :P

Anywho... I laughed at the man that spoke of the exclusivity... in his effort to "bash" you for believing in exclusivity he proved that he thought he should be the exclusive pastor of the church of God around there and was considering bring charges over the name over some sno-cones! LOL! What-a-goob.

Last thing... I HATE the grease under the nails look. GROSS! Next time try a baking soda paste. :D

WOW! You got a long comment out of a lurker with this post. LOL!

No, Tammy has no confidence in her crafting abilities. That's why she farmed the project out to Emilee! ;-)

Great plan for the turtles, Wendy! I'll have to remember that, just in case there ever is a next time.

Yeah, the elders guy was something else. I guess he must be happy to think of himself as NOT in God's Church since he was so offended by somebody claiming there is such a thing.

Baking soda... I'll have to remember that. I have a feeling I'll be spending some more time with that bike and the toolbox before this week is over with!

By the way--it's great to hear from a lurker! :-)

Beautiful Mother's day gift.

That's a great Mother's Day gift you got, too. Emilee did a great job.

I'm imagining Katie in anouther 10 years, driving the car for the first time. HA! I don't want to be ANYWHERE around! Full throttle, that's our Katie. =)

Your kids are sooooo great! Luke does the same thing Katie and Joe did on their bikes. When we walk around the block, at one certain spot, he rides as fast as he can and rams into the sidewalk. But we've got rounded sidewalks so he just bumps right up it without incident, usually.

The boys would love to have seen your turtle.

I'm so glad you like your frame. I had a really hard time with it. Nothing seemed right...and even still I'm not super happy with it. It just seems like it needs something more. But what? You're not a flowery kind of person and I don't have any lighthouse stamps anymore. So it just looks kind of plain to me. But if you are happy with it, that's all that really matters. And if you decide it needs something...feel free...jazz it up all you want!!!

What pretty flowers!! Italian sodas=YUMMY. except olive garden doesnt give refills.