Titleless  

Posted by cokelady

Ever have a post like that?

It's been a good couple of days. We had a good Sunday. Good Sunday School (Noah's ark) and I finally feel like my class is GLAD to be my class. :-) The kids other than my own are usually a little late (and sometimes a whole lot late!), but they seem to really enjoy Sunday School now and look forward to the next time. And I'm AMAZED at how little they know about the Bible. You really take those things for granted when you're raised in the Church. These kids didn't have a clue about Noah's ark. I thought that's something EVERYBODY knew about, Christian or not! So I really enjoyed sharing it with them. :-)

Yesterday afternoon I finished up on my WMB service--I hate not finishing until the last minute. We had visitors last night!!! Sister Bailey's son was there and the Placencio family was there. That's Aaron's family. They are always there on Sunday mornings (Aaron's siblings make up my Sunday School class), but I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've ever seen them at an evening service. It was so exciting! We're trusting the Lord to keep working in these hearts and lives. We're seeing His hand at work in so many ways and we are just so thankful!!!

After we put the kids to bed last night James spent a few hours working on putting some video and pictures together onto a DVD to send to a member who currently has no church to attend. (That's where the Convention video I posted came from.) I've been falling way behind on my magazines, so I gathered up three of them that I'd never finished reading. I laid in bed and finished 'em all off last night. It was great! I never do that! I think it was one Country magazine, one Country Woman, and one Reminisce (my favorite). I was back on the April issues, so I'm still a bit behind, but it was great to have one nice, leisurely evening of reading. :-)

Today has been good. Did all the laundry, but didn't touch the ironing. Maybe tomorrow. It was a rainy day today, so the kids couldn't play outside much. That's tough when they've got a new play fort out there! They handled it pretty well though.

We had a plumber come give us an estimate today on replacing the "stuff" that goes to the tub in our room. It broke this last week. The plumbers neck almost got broke, too, when he spit out his "shot in the dark" estimate. I thought he was kidding at first. ~sigh~ I hate plumbers. Some of them might be nice as individuals, but they're all out to wreck your life and swipe every last dime you've been saving for other things, say, a bedroom for your sons or something silly like that. At least this guy was nice, clean, and friendly. (Why shouldn't a plumber be happy?! Just think of all the money he's going to suck out of you!) He's going to do some research and get back to us with his estimate. I don't want to know.

I made Poppyseed Chicken Casserole for dinner tonight--one of the kids' favorites. And I made Pineapple Upside-Down Cake for dessert--one of James' favorites. It all turned out GREAT. :-)

After the kids had their showers (they all STUNK!), I sat down and started reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to them. At the end of each chapter they begged me to go on to the next. That lasted for about an hour and a half, I think. We were on chapter 18 (just over half way through the book) when I finally told them we'd have to quit. They've never seen the movie and are thrilled with the story. I love that. :-) So far they've only heart about Augustus Gloop and his gluttony getting him into trouble. I'm hoping Joe will learn something from it! Ha!

It's been a week or two ago now (I just forgot to post about it), but Katie made her first "hot meal." We got a book some time ago by Pearables that she is CRAZY about. It's a home economics book for 6-8 year olds and it teaches one thing each week... that you shouldn't need a book to teach! Ha! But she LOVES it coming out of the book. So she's been peeling vegetables and organizing drawers and things like that. She'd been begging to do the chapter on cooking her first hot meal, so we did that. It was a recipe for Bottomless Stew and she was sooooo proud of herself. I did the chopping for her, but she washed and peeled most of the veggies herself and read the recipe and watched the pot on the stove for just about the whole hour it cooked. Ha! And it's amazing to me. If I would have made the stew, all three kids would have complained about it. "Ew--there's green stuff in it! I don't like the green." (Celery.) Since Katie made it, all we heard was, "Wow, this is so good! You did a great job, Katie!" All three of them ate two bowls of it and just went on and on about how great it was. ?! Oh well--I'm glad they all enjoyed it and that the boys were so good to compliment their sister's efforts.


Sam hasn't caught any snakes in the past few days, but a week or two ago he was staying real busy at that job. He caught a real small one about two weeks ago. It was a very mild natured little thing (I hesitate to use the term "nice snake"--just doesn't set right, you know?!) and Sam ended up holding it by the mid-section (he's always held them just behind the head before) and it just sort of crawled around on his arm and checked things out for a while. Joe was so excited when it stuck its tongue out at him. "Hey, look! He's learning about me!!!" (I'm assuming he read that in one of the snake books he got from the library a while back.) We took the snake down the hill and the kids took turns holding it before Sam turned it loose.

The next day Sam caught a much bigger snake (the biggest one yet) and we were walking down the road to release it somewhere. Suddenly Sam said, as calmly as could be, "Hey. He bit me." That was it. I looked and he had a little red mark on his hand, but it just looked like a crayon flake to me. I brushed it off. After a few seconds I looked down and Sam had two little red dots of blood where I had just wiped the old away! It really had bit him! If it had been Katie or Joe they would have screamed and cried and thrown the thing down and started running. Sam wasn't phased at all. He had been holding the thing a little more carelessly after playing with the "friendly" little snake the day before and this one turned out to be not so friendly. We walked quite a ways and I had Sam throw this one as far as he could! (Served the thing right--he's lucky I didn't have him killed!) I wondered if it would make Sam a little edgy about catching any more snakes. Nope. This happened the day before we left for Texas, I think. We hadn't been home from the trip a full five minutes before he'd wandered down to the pond and nabbed another one! I think he's caught 6 now. He's my hero. :-) He also saved some silly girls at Wal-Mart from a big beetle on the floor the other day. They were employees and trying to figure out how to get rid of the thing, but it was too big for either of them to be able to step on and kill. (You know--the creepy feeling when you CRUNCH a bug that big?!) I asked if they wanted me to have my have my son take care of it for them. They said YES and I called Sam over and asked if he'd save the girls from that big, nasty bug. He walked right over and stomped it with all his might and was about to pick it up and dispose of it, but the girls said they'd find somebody with a tissue to do that. Ha!

That's about it for tonight. I'll post a few more pictures before I go though...

Hey, Mom--this is what those plants turned out to be. Pretty, hu??? :-)

James likes to pick up ice cream bars at Charlie's every now and again and drive us up into the National Forest to enjoy them. These are pictures he took the last time we did that.



That's it for now! Have a great night!!!

~Bec~

This entry was posted on 9:11 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

More snake stories, huh? You are a braver woman than I, I must say.

Katie looks so cute standing at the stove like that. :-)

I hope Brother and Sister Deitz don't take offense to the first part of your post. :0) tee hee! just joking! I know you're just referring to all the *evil* plumbers out there. ha ha

Yay! I nice, newsy post. Thanks! The pictures are great, too. Katie, the little homemaker. That's my girl! I have full confidence Abbie's going to be one, too. It makes me so happy and proud. :-)

I have those flowers inmy back yard too. Of course, I didn't plant them, the original owners must have. But, I don't mind ;)

I had a horrible horrible dream about spiders last night, HUGE spiders that were a light green color. In my bathroom. And I had to "squish" them like Sam did the bug. YUCK, I think I remember seeing the liquid come out of the things in my dream YUCK YUCK YUCK

Amy, you may realize that you're braver than you think, too--once Jackson gets just a little bit older! Mothers of young boys find themselves having to deal with things they never would have been caught dead in the middle of before. All for the love of your son and for the sake of making good memories and ensuring he's able to be a BOY, not a sissy! Your time's comin', lady. ;-)

I'm sure Katie and Abbie would love to practice their homemaking skills together--especially if Grandma Vicki could be their teacher!

Kasey... EEEEWWWWWW! I hate dreams like that! Night before last I dreamed about rattlesnakes and having to try to catch some, in our yard, I think. Very disturbling!!! Bleagh! (I was sure to have an extra talk with Sam about snake catching again that day!)

Oh, and Amy--I meant no offence to any plumbers out there. I have an uncle of that breed. Still... at this moment, I can't feel very kindly toward any of them! Ha!

Way to go, Katie! It is amazing how little people really know about the Bible and all of the wonderful things in it. Our study on Moses, opened my eyes too. We are doing Noah next. Any suggestions are welcomed.