A Good Mom???  

Posted by cokelady

I forgot to post these the other day. Sam found a walking stick while they were working on the rock paths.


Pretty cool, hu?


Last night James and I kept hearing terrible, scary wailing noises outside. We finally got out of bed and went to check. There were two cats over by our pond, duking it out BIG TIME. I've never seen a cat fight before and was tempted to just see how it turned out, but James started hissing at them to scare them off. Why is it that humans hiss at cats to scare them? Is acting like them supposed to do something special? Is it more effective than hollering and waving a stick or something?

Today started out pretty exciting. I saw another snake down by the pond, so I called Joe. Sam always nabs them before anybody else has a chance and Joe's been wanting to prove his manhood in this area for some time now. So he came down and caught his very first snake! He was sooooo proud of himself--and I was sure to let him know that Mom was plenty proud, too. ~sigh~ It's great having little men around. :-)

It was a clingy little snake...
I told Joe to stretch him out so we could see how long he was. :-)

The rest of the day is pretty much a blur. I know I worked on Sunday School stuff while the kids were having their quiet time.

Oh, I keep forgetting to tell you that this place we live has the most marvellous thunderstorms I've ever experienced! I've been in lots of great ones, but never so many great ones over and over again! We've been getting lots and lots of rain for the past week or two and it's always accompanied by big crashes of thunder. I LOVE IT!!!

Okay, here's where the title of the post comes in...

The kids were wanting to go splash in the puddles while it was raining this afternoon. ~sigh~ I hate stuff like that 'cuz I hate the mess that always follows it. It just means lots of muddy children and muddy clothes for the Mom to have to deal with. It's easier to just say NOPE and take 'em inside and play Yahtzee or something. But kids are only kids once, right? And they so enjoy doing those dumb things that only a kid can enjoy... So I told myself I would be "The Good Mom" and let them have their fun. "Sure," I said, "Go ahead." It started out innocently enough...

The last thing I told them before going inside was, "Try not to get mud all over your clothes, okay?" "Okay, Mom--we won't!" This is how they looked just moments later when I stepped outside to check on them. (You have to enlarge the picture to get the full impact.)

THIS is why I don't like being The Good Mom!!! The Good Mom always ends up with things like THIS to have to take care of!!! ~sigh~ They had been picking up globs of mud and slinging it at each other. They were having a great time, of course, but they weren't exactly trying not to get mud on their clothes. I knew there would be some mud, but come on! I told them that they and their clothes would have to be hosed off before they could go inside. This is the part I really don't get. It's chilly outside. They've been playing in the cold rain and the mud puddle that couldn't have been too warm either. When I tell them they're going to be hosed off, they start freaking out like it's so terrible to be wet and chilly. ??? What is that all about?! Katie wasn't too happy, but Joe went nutty on me--bawling and wailing and saying in that long, drawn-out whine of his, "Mo-o-o-o-o-o-o-om!!!" (So much for my snake-snatching manly-man from this morning! Ha!) You can see his face in the picture--he was not very happy. I knew that even though it didn't make any sense they'd be all freaked out about the hose and I figured it served 'em right, the bunch of pigly little things! (Dad hoses them off for fun sometimes and they think it's terrific; Mom hoses them off before taking them in the house when they've gotten too dirty and it's like being thrown in the torture chamber itself!)

This is a picture I took after the hosing. Joe is still deeply upset (he's got a strip of tape across his forehead, in case you're wondering. It was scribbled on to look like a "mustache." I asked why it was on his head instead of his lip, but the answer isn't worth repeating), Katie wasn't much better... but as you can see, Sam is just fine. Ggrrr. That kid is always happy when he's not supposed to be happy!

I wrapped the boys in a couple of blankets and made them wait on the porch while Katie went in for a shower. (One of our tubs is out of commission right now, meaning we all have to take turns with the one.) They were all cleaned up and in their pj's by about 5:00 tonight!

Question: By trying to be The Good Mom, my laundry duties resumed today instead of next Monday and my children were put through the torment and mental anguish of their mother hosing them off while saying, "Hey, this is what you get when you don't listen to your Mom--I said not to get mud all over your clothes--you should learn to listen to your mother..." Sooooo...??? Seems to me that The Good Mom would've just said, "No, you're not playing in the puddles because I know where it leads!" It would have spared me the extra work and them the trauma. Right?! Still... if I had done that I wouldn't have these great pictures! Ha! The Good Mom (in my definition of the term) records moments like this pictorially, no matter what. :-)

That's about it from around here. Tuna casserole, peas, corn and left-over carrots for dinner tonight. No dessert and an early bedtime. The kids have been really... hyper lately. Not sure what it is. Maybe the rain??? (Ever seen a dog go nutty when he gets wet?) I finally had all I could take and tied Joe up for a little while tonight.

It didn't last nearly long enough. I'm really hoping they'll get back to their normal selves soon. The past week or two has been off and on with really, really terrific kids and really, really rotten kids! Surely they can't still be all screwed up from the commotion of Camp and all that, can they?! Nah... they're just rotten. Ha!

This entry was posted on 10:22 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

12 comments

Great pictures, Becki! My favorite is the one of the kids after they'd gotten muddy. Their faces are priceless. Those are looks of panic, knowing they've disobeyed! :-) But they really can't help themselves...puddles and children just go hand-in-hand, as far as I can tell.

You've gone from tying up other people's children to tying up your own, hu?! :-) That is too funny! I've been on the verge of doing the same with a few of mine at different times over the last several weeks. Unfortunately we don't have nearly enough rope around here.

I know--I just love their expressions in that picture. It's not often that you can catch "feeling" like that in a picture! Ha!

I've decided that every Mom should have two or three (or in your case, five!) good lengths of rope lying around, just in case. Although if my dining room chair wasn't involved I probably would've opted for duct tape! ;-)

I just wanted to say thank you for the sweet and thoughtful comment on my blog. My kids make up a huge chunk of my life (I'd say they are my life, but I do have room for a couple other people) and they bring such happiness with them. Your babies are precious too! They grow so stinkin' fast, don't they?? I love the pictures--especially the one of them being hosed off. The expressions are priceless!

Becki I am so proud of you for letting them play in the mud.I know how much you hate that stuff. I am sorry for the after math, but like you said, it made great photos. The kids will never forget the fun in the mud, they will want to forget what came next. :)in any case....every kid should be able to play in the mud every once in a while.

What kind of a mother ties their kid up and then TAKES A PICTURE!?!? Where did I go wrong? ;-)

LOL. I love it...through your posts I now know why God didn't give me boys... I HATE snakes. That's the only part of your posts I can't handle is the parts about snakes (especially the pictures). It's like eeeeek!

My theory is either way you would be a "good" mom...BUT you created precious memories for them (good and bad~smile) for them by allowing them to play in the mud.

The expression on the kid's faces when they got caught being muddy is priceless! Such perfect guilt. Ha!

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sis Rebekah, I will need your height and weight for something else...I will let you know as soon as I have the answers from the lady who owns the dress...lol...Don't you just love secrecy...lol...Especially when it involves something you are needed to do...

Sis Vicky

My blog is now open again :) and has a report of the Alabama Convention.

I really like Etsy (obviously). They have some of the cutest bags on the planet that people made by hand. Man, that is definitely not one of my talents. I guess it could be if I tried...but that would involve some serious effort, which, I really don't have time for in this stage of life. Your sister in law's (I think that's how you said she's related) stuff is really cute. I love to scrapbook and make cards, but I've never gotten into the stamping side of it...It's one of those things I think that once you get started, you can't stop and hafta have MORE. My husband would cringe.

That is Hilarious!! Shanna and I were rolling in the floor, laughing. Kryss likes the walking stick picture!!