The Big 3-1  

Posted by cokelady

It was GREAT!!!

But I'm really glad it's over! I've had a really terrific birthday, but I am sooooo tired. (I know, Tammy--it's because I'm "31 years old now!" Nah--I would've felt tired after a day like this 10 years ago. So there!)

But first I'll catch you up on the past few days. Uummm... I put together the Regional Paper. That's about it! Still haven't touched the ironing. Done some minor cleaning. The end. There, that didn't take too long! We have had some more of those really great sunsets...

This morning I got up, took my shower, and cleaned the house. It had gotten really messy yesterday, kitchen and all, and I was helping James with report stuff last night and didn't get a chance to clean it. I knew I'd have a much better birthday if I had a clean house, so I spent an hour or so getting it that way.

I called and talked to Mom for a while. I learned last year that it's no good to wait around for her call--if I want a birthday song from her I'll have to call and ask for it. ;-)

After that we loaded everybody up and headed to town! First stop: The Olive Garden. You know how you get those particular hankerings when you're fasting? How one specific thing pops into your head and you can almost taste it on the tip of your dried and crackly tongue?! Ha! Well, I'd been dreaming of fettuccini alfredo for days. And I wasn't disappointed. It was sooooooo good!!! James told the waitress it was my birthday, so a horde of employees came out and sing some hip "have a great day" song and set a little plate in front of me with a candle in the middle of... a small pile of mints! Ha! I did my very best not to laugh out loud, at least until they left. I mean, come on!!! It's not like this is some super chintzy place--it's the Olive Garden! And the best they could come up with were mints?! That's kind of sorry, you know? At least they were Andes mints. Enough for everybody to have two... if the Dad hadn't eaten three. The boys ended up with one and a half.

After that we went over to the mall so we could go to Christopher & Banks and James could buy me an outfit for the Assembly. Today was the last day of the buy-any-top-get-any-other-top-half-price sale, so I walked out with four items for the price of two! Not really. I only buy things that are on sale there, so I can't really look at it like that. Still, all of the things I got were already ON sale, so it still works! Sadly, none of them will really work for the Assembly, but I've got a few really great casual shirts now! :-)

We walked the mall for a while trying to find a suit for each of the boys for the Assembly. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! The prices some people want for a suit for a kid who's going to outgrow it in 3 months!!! CRAZY. I like the one we got for Joe last year for $12. Aren't there any more of those around?! We'll keep looking, 'cuz it's just absurd to pay $64.95 for a suit for a 6 year old. Are there people that actually do things like that??? ~whew~ Not me!

We were parched after a while and sat down to enjoy an Orange Julius (raspberry for me) before we left the mall. I even got my very own because it was my birthday. :-) I usually just share mine with the kids instead of getting them one of their own.

We went to the dollar store and I waited in the Envoy while James took the kids in to shop. They each selected a gift for me... and one for themselves! It's just too painful to walk into a dollar store and not get something for yourself when you're that age, you know?! They insisted I open their gifts as soon as they got back in the car. Katie bought me a magnetic notepad on a mini-clipboard with a pencil (something SHE would love to have!), Joe got me a pack of mechanical pencils (we're ALWAYS looking for pencils around here), and Sam got me a green dish towel with a leaf embroidered on it (he thought that's what I would want). It's so fun to see how pleased they are with what they've chosen "special" just for me! It was great. What sweet, thoughtful kids.

For themselves, Katie and Sam each got a toy cell phone--Katie's is a replica of my own, which she thinks is SO COOL. Joe got yet another pirate set. Like there aren't enough hooks and patches and revolvers lying around here already.

We came home and laid the kids down for a while. I put a few more finishing touches on the Regional Paper (like the page numbers I'd forgotten to add) and then James started the printing while I worked on a grocery list. We then loaded everybody up and went to Edgewood to do some major shopping at Wal-Mart. It was dinner time though, so we stopped and ate at DJ's Doghouse (or simply, "The Doghouse") on the way. I was soooooo not hungry and I made myself order just a corn dog. Then I went and ordered a cherry cream soda float! What can I say--it's my birthday! :-)

We had a huge list and I had ads from three different stores with at least 15 or 20 comp-ad items. It takes so much longer to shop like that (especially checking out!--I'm just glad we were in Edgewood and nobody was behind us!), but it saves soooooo much money!

By the time we were finished there it was already past 8:00 and we were all beat. Sam couldn't even stay awake on the short drive home, but Joe was nice enough to play pillow for him.

We got home and unloaded the Envoy, then I put groceries away while the kids put their pj's on. Then it was time for yet some more partying! I insisted that James take pictures. I take pictures all the time and I love it. But that means I'm never in them. I love that, too, most of the time! But I hate it that my kids will look back at the thousands and thousands of pictures of their childhood and say, "Hey, wasn't Mom around for any of this?!" So I figured I'll pass the camera off one day a year so they'll know that at least I came home to celebrate my birthday with them each year. ;-)


I was real excited because Katie was arranging the candles to make a 13 instead of a 31, but James remedied it. Jerk. :-)


I had a little help blowing out all those candles...

Me and my Katie Girl

Good old Mosey...

And crazy Sambo!

I even got a Sammy kiss--which is about the sweetest thing in the whole wide world. I could get a hundred a day and never get tired of them. :-)
And all three of the little rug rats

Katie took a couple pictures of me and James--proof that they actually have two parents at one time every now and again. ;-)



(James wanted me to crop out the pajama pants. I did in the first shot, but somehow missed it in the second. Don't tell him. Ha!)

And that's about it! It's 10:30 now and I've even blogged about it all. It's been a good, fun, happy day and I'm soooooo thankful for all of God's blessings. I've had 31 really, really terrific years and I'm so grateful for them! He's just sooooooooo good to me.

I'm also thankful that my fast is over.

:-)

This entry was posted on 9:39 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

12 comments

I'm thankful for your 31 great years and I, too, am thankful that MY fast is over! Yippee!! These pizzas don't look nearly as good as they did yesterday or the day before. ;-) I'm just thankful you didn't get them up in time to torture me on my 1st fast day. But I'm so excited to see how the Lord is going to reward TCOG for our prayer and fasting for the Assembly. I know it will be worth the sacrifice! God's ways DO work and He DOES see our hearts and read our minds and He will reward the faithful. "That's right, AMEN!"

BTW, the pictures are GREAT! Love it! Maybe you could post a picture of your sunset every evening so I could enjoy it by proxy? I've actually seen very few sunsets out here--there's just too many trees. I've seen a few pretty ones, but nothing can compare to a western skies sunset. *ahhhhh* There's just so much more SKY out there!

Looks like I got the birthday cake for ya up on my blog AFTER it was too late. (wanted to torture you while you were fasting) Shucks!!!

Oh, well.

I'm glad you had a nice birthday. Great pictures. The Andes birthday "pile"--you've gotta' be kidding me. What a jip!!!! The one you got at home was cute, though. And Christopher and Banks? Can't beat that!!! Every year for Christmas my dad gets me one of their gift cards. I looooove that store. :D

You're right, Mom, these pizzas don't look as good as they did a few days ago! Weird!!! ;-)

I'll keep taking pictures of the sunsets, Ma, but they really don't to justice to the real thing. I'm always a little disappointed when I look at the pictures after seeing what it looked like in real life! James and I talk all the time about the crazy and amazing cloud formations here. We've never seen anything like it--they are sooooo diverse and interesting. If they were in a painting you'd think it was dumb and unrealistic. God just does such COOL THINGS with the sky out here! :-)

Yep, you were too late, Amy. Fast is over. :-) So your cake didn't torture me. But it still entices me! Ha! What a COOL cake.

As much as I like Andes mints, I must admit that I thought it was pretty pitiful. We were at the Olive Garden, not Fazoli's! It must be so embarrassing to be an employee there and take a crowd of people with you to sing and make a big deal about somebody's birthday... then hand them a plate of MINTS! Ha! I hate being sung to anyway, but it might have been worth it for a piece of chocolate mousse cake or something. But not mints! Ha!

I agree--C&B is the bestest store in the world. 80% of my wardrobe came from them, I'm sure! From their clearance racks in the back, actually. ;-) I love waiting until stuff has been marked down two or three times, then paying Wal-Mart prices (or less) for clothing that is much higher quality and SOOOOOOO much cuter! It's a very satisfying feeling. :-)

Great pictures! I enjoyed getting to see you in them. :-) That one of Sam giving you a kiss is cute! The ones of you and James turned out good too.

Sounds like you have a good birthday.

Jacob says "Welcome to middle age."

It sounds like you had a GREAT day. The pictures are always just too cute. Word on the street is that we are getting an Olive Garden in Cleveland. Yay!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Great pictures Becki. Sorry I did not call. That is the first time ever I think. I was getting garage sale stuff ready, getting anxious to eat since my fast was about to be over and getting ready for my service last night. When I thought about it I knew you would be at the Olive Garden. Sorry :o( I am a hoorible friend. I have your card on my kitchen table still... Its gonna be a little late HA!!! I will just bring it with me next week. You can have another birthday "DAY". :o)

Happy Belated Birthday Sister Becki. I pray you had a wonderful day. Have been away at camp and such. It will take awhile to get caught up reading on all your bloggin. :)

Love the denim. How cute! I like this a lot better than those greasy orange pizzas. ;-)

Also, Happy Belated Birthday!
Beautiful sunset and cute kids.

Anonymous  

Happy belated 13th birthday! :o) I'm glad you enjoyed your day. And I don't care what anybody says, I am having a blast in my 30's! :o)

Thanks for the extra birthday wishes! (I think the 30's are great, too, Shanna!)