Check Out Our New FROG!!!  

Posted by cokelady

Okay, so I realize that I go for days and days without posting and now I'm piling a whole bunch of posts on top of each other... but this can't wait!

Joe came running inside a little while ago with those great big excited blue eyes of his, yelling, "Mom, I found a GIANT bullfrog!!!" I thought, "Oh, that's cute--they found a little frog outside." We haven't seen anything like that here, but surely they know a frog when they see one. Still, I expected a cute little froggy. I thought I'd be a good Mom and act excited for him. I walked outside and asked him to show me the frog. He took me to the pond and I just about died! He was right--it is a HUGE BULLFROG!!! I actually don't know what makes it a "bull" frog, but the name seems to fit this guy. I then showed genuine enthusiasm (rather than the "trying" kind--to humor your kid, you know) and ran and got my camera. So, here ya' go!



I took this picture in hopes that it would show how big he is. Keep in mind that I wear a size 10 shoe. :-)
I made the kids sit still and just watch him in hopes that maybe he'd come out of the pond or eat a fly or something exciting. Really... frogs aren't very exciting. Still, it's sooooo cool to have a great big frog in our itty-bitty pond! I hope he stays. :-)
Sam just can't stand it. He is DYING to catch "Mac." I think that's what Joe has named him.
This is where he seems to like to be, right in the middle of the pond hanging out with the fishies.
Isn't he cool?!

Okay, so I'm wondering... where on earth did this thing come from?! I just can't picture him hopping around the mountains, you know?! He was obviously attracted by the water... but where has he been up until he found our pond??? As far as I know there is no stream or river or anything like that for miles. Sooooo... where did he live before now and get so big--and what did he do with those giant webbed feet when they weren't in water?! He just doesn't look like he'd enjoy hanging out on all of the rocks and cactus and stuff! WEIRD. Anyway, I'm glad he's here and I hope he stays. :-) What a great day!!!

This entry was posted on 11:26 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

How exciting for the kids AND you. :-) Your very own frog. I can only HEAR the frogs around here. There's too much brush and vegetation for them to hide under and my pond is way too big and deep to see them under water. And there's been a distinct absence of frog noises lately. I'm thinking the black snake I spotted last week has been having midnight frog snacks.

Oooooh. That's sad. I'm not big on reptiles, but I like frogs. Our snakes have their work cut out for them if they think they want to eat "Mac" for lunch. Ha! I just got it--Big Mac! :-) Anyway, the little snakes we've got would be the ones hurting, not Mac!

wow, That is one HUGE frog. How fun.