Painting Yet Again  

Posted by cokelady

That's right, we've been wielding paint brushes around here again. James bought a new paint sprayer a couple of weeks ago, but we haven't gotten around to using it yet for one reason or another. One reason: he didn't feel like it. Another: me either. :-) Last night we decided: IT'S TIME. James even set his alarm so we could get an early start. (It's best to do any outdoor labor before noon around here, -- it's just way too hot after that, usually!) Well, we got up, got our paint clothes on, started collecting our supplies, opened the door and ~whoosh!~ WIND. Lots of it. You can't use a paint sprayer when it's windy!!! At least WE can't. We're worried about the overspray ruining the rest of our house or our cars or our neighbors' yards even on a calm day. It's our first time, mind you. So scratch that plan. No spraying the carport today.

Instead, James went and picked up a quart of "Foxtail" red -- burgundy, really -- paint. It's our second try with shades of red. I gave up on blue after the third failure, remember? I painted part of the trim a light brown color instead, but have been determined to paint the shutters a dark red color. The first shade of red was far too bright. It was a reach-out-and-slap-you-and-shout-"Hey, look at ME!!! I'm RED!" kind of red. Just too much, you know? Anyway, on only our second try this time we were able to nail it! I LOVE IT. It's almost exactly what I had envisioned, just a tad bit darker. It adds just enough flair to the otherwise boring shades on the rest of the house. So we now have a yellow brick home with cream and tan trim and, as of today, dark red shutters, front door, garage door and side gates. It makes me so happy! I think the name Foxtail isn't the most accurate description of this shade though. It should rightfully be called Chameleon Red due to it's ability to imitate 6 or eight different shades throughout the course of the day. The most drastic change occured in the evening when most of the red tones disappeared nearly completely and the paint put on it's best Chocolate Brown robe. Freaky. It looks quite red in the afternoon sun, but makes it all the way to almost-brown at even. I detest brown. It's got to be the most depressing, drab color ever invented. Nonetheless, I love my freshly painted shutters and doors. I know that way deep down even when they look brown, they're really red. And that makes me happy. :-)

James just came and asked me if I was blogging about our day today or our day yesterday. "Yesterday?" I said, "What happened yesterday?" AH YES. James decided we should have a family day! So we loaded up the little ones and took off for Midland. We went to the Children's Museum down there and the kids had a blast. However, it wasn't nearly as fun as when we took the 5 younger Shuler children last year -- be sure to tell them so, Grace! :-) They change the "theme" at the Museum a few times a year and right now it's "Golf Around the World." They've got a putt-putt course set up inside with each hole representing a differnt landmark somewhere in the world (ei. Big Ben, the Taj Mahal (sp?) the Great Wall of China, etc.). It was our kids' first time to play miniature golf and it was hilarious. Kids are just so awkward with things like that, you know?! Katie kept trying to use her putter like a croquet mallet, Sam kept using his to slide the ball hockey-style toward the hole, and Joe, being the only lefty in the bunch, couldn't even figure out which side of the ball to stand on. If it weren't so funny, it would've been stressful.

After the museum we stopped at a few stores, then James took us to Barnes & Nobles before coming home. We milled around the kid section for the longest time. I picked out another book to read to them once we're finished with what we currently have (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea this time. Hope it's a good one! It's so hard to find good books that don't have a bunch of sorcery and stuff in 'em, you know?!) and we also got a couple of cheap kid books that looked really fun -- and Katie even made out with a Sticker Spelling school book. She's SO excited. It was a nice day. Oh, I almost forgot -- we ate at Furr's. You know, all the old folks' favorite cafeteria? My kids LOVE it. "We getta pick whatever we want!"

So that's about it from around here. Tomorrow I'll try to put the house back together. It always amazes me how in just ONE DAY without supervision (or under a Dad's supervision!) it can TOTALLY fall apart. That's it for now!

~ The Painting Fiend ~

This entry was posted on 9:30 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

Good deal. Looks like I have a contact for information concerning good classic literature! Thanks, Megan. I'm sure we'll be in touch. :-)

Oh, we definitely do Dr. Suess -- although I've never been able to find that one that you guys have, you know, the one with all the tongue twisters. We get 10 books from the library each week, too. I just thought it was about time to start them in on some "big" books, one chapter at a time. They've been loving it so far, but I've had a harder time finding GOOD "big" books than I do the "little" ones.

Ah yes, Jacob's girlfriend. Big Bertha, I believe. I'm surprised James didn't make a t-shirt with her picture on it for him! :-) I've thought SEVERAL times recently of all the fun we had with your siblings last May. We missed it this year!

After spending three or more hours cleaning the house and feeling that satisfaction that comes with cleanliness, then looking around 20 minutes later and seeing my husbands "junk" newly spread out all over, I have learned not to freak out...AS much. :) I am still somewhat OCD on cleaning, things out of place bug me. They say, MOVE ME MOVE ME CLEANE ME CLEANE ME until the house is spic and span, sometimes though, and I have to be REALLY tired, but sometimes I just DON'T care.
As far as books go, I LOOOOOOVED Little House books. I sat and read "On The Banks of Plum Creek" 400 something pages in one day. I also loved Jane Eyre, still one of my favorites. Berenstein bears was another one of my favorites, oh yeah, man now I can't remember...there was this one lady I also REALLY liked growing up, but I can't remember her name. I also loved the Sierra Series at the Christian Book Store.

In a couple years, read the kids "Treasure in an Oatmeal Box". It really teaches loving others, but it is a little sad at the end, so I'd wait a year or two. Jeremy and Darren enjoyed the Children's Illustrated Classics that Megan was talking about as well as the Boxcar Children series. They loved mysteries. Also, get the children's version of Pilgrim's Progress. Kids love it. I used it for Sunday School and they hated it when I had to stop reading and ask questions because they wanted to know what was going to happen next.

Wow, I'm going to have to start a list -- I'll never remember all of this! The "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" book that I just bought is part of the "Classic Starts" series which contains TONS of old classics retold for young children. But so many of them I'm just not sure about! I'm trying to be careful to stay away from magic and such, but that's extremely difficult to do in children's literature! And, on the other hand, I don't want to be TOO freaky about things and act like everything out there is from the devil or something! Ha! I just need to find good, wholesome, entertaining reading material that isn't questionable at all, you know?! I'll be sure to look into all of the books and series that have been mentioned thus far. And THANK YOU, everyone, for your input. :-)

No can do! It'll be just a few more days, although the front of the house itself is now TOTALLY FINISHED!!! Wa-Hooooooo!!! Don't worry, I'll be sure to post some pictures real soon. :-) Maybe I'll send a picture of me, glowing with satisfaction, in FRONT of the house that is now totally finished.

The whole family isn't glowing yet. You know how it is being married to a Choleric. There's no time to bask in the satisfaction of accomplishing one goal. There are far too many MORE things that are YET TO BE accomplished, you know! I told James yesterday, "You are NO FUN to work for!!!" There's no such thing as, "Wow, Bec, the house is looking great -- you're doing a good job!" Nope. All I get is, "The front of the house is finished now? Good. There sure is a lot to do out back." ~sigh~