It's Adhesive Tape Day!  

Posted by cokelady

I bet you didn't know that, did you? That's right, adhesive tape was invented 76 years ago today. Yep, we bought one of those doofy books that has all kinds of bizarre holidays to "celebrate." I've been telling James that I needed some ideas of things to DO with the kids. They ask several times a day, "Mom, what are we going to do now?" Boredom is the worst thing in the world for a kid. They fight and argue and are just generally unhappy when they're bored. So I've been trying to think of some things to DO with them beyond school and baking and the usual chores. I think this book will help a lot, weird as it seems. It has activities and crafts and foods for every "holiday" in the book! Today we examined our fingerprints by smearing pencil lead on our fingers, then transfering it over to Scotch tape and putting it onto a piece of paper. Then the kids had to piece a homemade puzzle together and tape it in place so Katie could read where to find a special treat I'd hidden: "Under the couch." Then the book said to give each other "face lifts" using the tape. Here are a couple of pictures.



Saturday is bath and curler day - so Katie can be pretty for Sunday services, in case you're wondering about her total appearance. The pictures really don't to justice to how they really looked. Here's a close-up of Joe that's a little better.


I should've taken pictures of them after we ripped the tape off of them so you could've seen them all red and spotchy with tear streaks running down their cheeks. Who's idea was this again?! I bet the lady who wrote that book as been sued by now.

Let's see... What else is new around here? Not much. There are still 5 gallon buckets of paint sitting around in my office, waiting for a cool day. "Cool" being defined as any day not reaching 95 degrees. UGH. I was not cut out for weather like this. And it's only May. I may create a new trend of hibernating in the summertime.

Sam & Tammy have come over a few times to play games this week, so that's been fun. Except that Sam ALWAYS WINS. His winning streak is uncanny. It's almost as eerie as my mother's ability to continuously win games that she doesn't even understand. Of course, Sam is SOOOOOOOO S-L-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-W that Tammy and I get distracted doing other things while we're waiting for him to take his turn and he probably has all the liberty in the world to CHEAT because we've either been lulled to sleep by boredom or we're preoccupied with other things. That's my conclusion. Of course, the only other possibility is that I'm just a LOSER, but I prefer to think that my Mom and Sam are just plain lucky. Yeah, that sits much better with me. :-)

Speaking of Sam & Tammy, here's a picture of them! Tammy had my cousin Stacey trim her hair a few weeks ago and Stacey decided to straighten it, too, just for fun. I made a special trip to their house just to see it! (Is that kind of like going to the circus to see a bearded lady?! You know -- a freak show???) Sam LOVED it. Tammy was anxious to wash it and get it back to normal. Tammy "Lewis" Kaufman with straight hair... too weird!


Okay, that's it from my little corner of the world. I just put the kids down for a nap and I think I may go join them. ~aaaahhh~ Makes me feel better just thinking about it!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 11:36 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

Anonymous  

Sam is always winning. I suspect your conclusion Becki is exactly what you said, his strategy to win is being slow to get us distracted so he can CHEAT
that is a really bad picture of me, but yes, it is my straight hair, it was pretty wild.

YIKES! Tammy with straight hair...hmmm...I guess it would have to grow on ya for it to NOT be weird.

Poor babies. I'm sure they had a blast with the face lifts until time to rip the tape off. OUCH!

*agreeing with the straight hair weirdness*

Umm.. hey would you post the title of the book about weird holidays. That sounds like a totally kewl idea. Either that or start a new blog about daily holidays with kids. :)

"Every Day a Holiday" by Silvana Clark. We found it at Family Christian Bookstore in the bargain bin for $6 or something like that. You can look there or online -- or just stay tuned for my occasional updates! I'm sure we'll be using plenty of stuff from the book as I'm not very good at coming up with things like that on my own. I'm excited -- it looks like so much fun. :-)

Just to give you a heads-up:

June is National Diary Month (make "dairy squirt guns" with surgical latex gloves) and, ironically (is that how it's spelled?!), it's also National Candy Month (blindfold everybody and have a candy tasting contest.)

June 1st is Superman's birthday -- have a tights parade! (WON'T be happening at THIS house!) Or get a refrigerator box from Sears and use markers or paint to turn it into a phone booth, then take turns timing the kids to see which one can run inside and change clothes the fastest.

If you decide to go with any of those ideas, Wendy, be sure to let us know -- and take pictures. Um...unless you do the tights thing -- we don't want to see any pictures of that! :-)

Hello
Yes Daniel has started a Blog now. He is till working on it and I said I didn't want it but here I am responding. I just had to stick up for My wonderful Bro-In-Law. Tammy and Becki, Sam was most likley winning and you two are being poor loosers.. You go Sam!!!!!!!!
Tammy Daniel likes your Hair I have to say I don't But I can say that I am your sister:-)

Easy for you to say, Cathy. Why don't YOU try losing to Sam 482 times in a row and still be civil about it! Actually, truth be known, I actually BEAT HIM at a game this week. ~aaaahhhhhhh~ I can't tell you the satisfaction that came from that glorious moment. Although it would've been much sweeter if it would have BOTHERED him a little bit. But you know Sam. Roll with the punches -- "Whatever" and "Oh well" seem to be his motto. Besides, he knows he's going to win the next 481 games in a row, so what's to get upset about?! Gggrrrrr.

I really don't know why this tape make-over and face lift stuff has not caught on a litte better. It could be all the craze in Hollwood. Forget Botox treatments, here come Scotch treatments. I don't know. Maybe I will give my snout more of a turned-up look. That is pretty clever there, Bec. Cute.

Anonymous  

Best regards from NY! » » »