Charred Chicken  

Posted by cokelady

I'll never understand why men enjoy cooking out on the grill. It's 110 degrees out there, you're dripping sweat, and your hand ends up medium well from hovering over the flames trying to season your meat. D-U-M, dumb. I cooked chicken out there last night. James usually does the grilling around here and I now have a new appreciation for that. Due to my lack of practice, our dinner was a little overcooked. I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear, however, that we were able to crack open the hard black shell and find a few tender morsels of chicken near the center of each piece. One thing is settled: James is the outdoors cook around here.

Tonight we opted to go out for dinner. Much better choice. Why, you may ask, don't I just cook something in the house? I'll tell you. It's the plummer's fault. We've been waiting on him since last Thursday to show up and re-route the pipes under the kitchen sink so that the new sink and RO unit can be installed. He was supposed to do that on Friday, on Saturday, and again today. Never showed up, never called. ~sigh~ And to think, this is the GOOD plummer in town. Back to our cooking dilemma, the reason I'm unable to cook is because I unloaded EVERYTHING from under the sink last Thursday (in anticipation of the plummer's visit) and loaded it all onto the stovetop. I've moved it from time to time to use a burner, but it's the place where it's the most out of the way, so it stays put. Besides that, I've got a huge cast iron sink in the middle of my kitchen floor, still in the box, and a giant box containing the RO unit sitting on my table. Every time I need to do anything in the kitchen I have to either climb over or wrestle and grunt and groan trying to shove the sink out of my way. It's a losing battle, so I decided to quit cooking until these things are resolved. (Besides all of that, who wants to cook and heat up your house when you're already sweatin' like pigs and trying to not run up a record high electric bill with the air conditioner?!) When I call the plummer tomorrow I may have to threaten to call "the bad plummer" if he doesn't show up soon. Michael has always been SO GOOD to us before -- this is SOOOOO not like him. Still, it's better than if we DID call the bad plummer, we know that much!

Hhmmm. That's about it from around here. We worked so hard there for a week or two and perhaps we overdid it a bit because we've been so lethargic the past few days. Just can't find any motivation to get anything done. It's been nice, on the one hand, since not being tied up in any projects has allowed me to spend more time with the kid-o's. I walked with them so they could ride their bikes around the block yesterday. It's really too hot for that kind of thing, but they've got to get out of the house sometimes anyway.

Joe has been playing with his handcuffs NON-STOP and is driving everybody nuts. You can only be cuffed and taken to jail so many times before it grows wearisome. Sam has been toting around a bag with marbles in it for days now. They have, for the time, taken the place of the plastic snakes, lizards and frogs he usually keeps with them -- although he still wants to sleep with the critters at night since I won't allow him to take the marbles to bed. Katie spends her days hauling a PILE of her favorite things to whatever room she decides to land in. She's such a hoarder. She's reading SO good now and I let her read a sentence now and then when I'm reading Swiss Family Robinson to the three of them. We're on chapter 6 or 7 and the kids are LOVING it. It's got a lot more action and adventure than Charlotte's Web (we finished that one last week) and Joe is LOVING all of the hunting and skinning and fishing and such.

Okay, I'm rambling. I'm going to try to MAKE myself go do something productive, even though I feel like saying, "Nah -- another day. I think I'll just go read for a while." ~sigh~ Wonder which side of me is actually going to win this battle: the diligent, or the lazy??? Tune in tomorrow for the not-so-thrilling conclusion...

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 9:04 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

If it makes you feel any better, I make bland lasagna. It's almost flavorless. I try and try...still flavorless. *sigh* Although Damon says its really good and gets seconds and then proceeds to top it with hot sauce. GROSS! My husband is a SICK MAN!

I know how you feel about not wanting to do anything. After I get home from working my two jobs, I have NO motivation.

Holsters out of milk cartons and camo -- Wow! I never would've thought of that.

I must agree -- reading to your very own little ones is one of the great pleasures in life. They just grow up way too fast to skip that sort of thing, you know? My oldest is only 5, but I already get sad looking at pictures of her when she was "little." "Ohhhh! Remember how cute she was when she used to do that???" I can't imagine life with them grown and gone!

Kasey, tell Damon that hot sauce on lasagna -- even bland lasagna -- is just plain WRONG.

I will tell him, but he puts it on nearly everything. Popcorn, lasagna, I think Pizza (unless he has jalapenos), what else....he's weird.

LOL, gotta love a man who puts hot sauce on everything, even if it is wrong.
I agree momof4men, to have my baby little again, to enjoy the wonder of seeing things through their eyes. The joy of the first time they call your name, the first time they reach for you and the first time they crawl up into your lap, the first owie..the list goes on.
Thankyou Sis Rebekah, for sharing your babies with us.
Waiting for the conclusion, isn't there something in the Bible about being "PATIENT"!
Tee hee, have a great day.

So, James can do something better than you?!?!?! Wow! j/k!! Love ya Bro. James!! :) Sounds like you really stink at grilling Bec. :)We made deer 'k-bobs" last weekend. They were so good! Caleb does our grilling. I haven't grilled in years. The last time I did, when I opened the lid flames came shooting up and burned my bangs and eyelashes. I smelled weird.

I had the opposite experience. I couldn't keep the grill goin. The chicken had to be put in the oven. Luckily though it got the grill flavor and look with the juicyness (sp) of the oven. NICE!! I fooled Danny on that one!! However... if I lived in that Texas heat, NO WAY I would grill! :P