Blow Outs & Rattlesnakes  

Posted by cokelady

So there we were, driving home from Midland after a long day of bargain hunting. Kids asleep in the backseat, James and I almost asleep in the front seat... Suddenly James says, "What's that noise?" The van began to "feel" funny and he immediately realized what was going on: flat tire. By the time he got the van stopped there was nothing left of the rear right tire. I mean, it was there, but it was in loose strips, flapping around the rim.

I called Unlce Jerry, who lives about 5 miles from where the blow out occured. While we were waiting for him, James and I lowered the spare tire from under the van and did what we could to get started. Once my uncle arrived, I began to walk around the front of the van to go to the driver's side and put on the emergency brake. I got near the front right tire and heard a short vibrating sound and saw a flash of movement just ahead of me. A surge of energy shot through my previously lethargic body and I found myself in the van almost before I touched the ground. I looked toward the front of the van where I'd just been and YEP, sure 'nough: SNAKE. I told my uncle as camly as I could: "THERE'S A SNAAAAAAAAKE!" He studied it for a moment trying to figure out whether it was a rattler or some other variety I can't recall. It didn't take long to make that determination, as the thing went NUTS. It coiled up (and I do mean UP -- it was raised up a good foot off the ground) and rattled steadily for at least 5 minutes. Uncle Jerry said he'd never seen one stay so mad for so long with nobody messing with it. It was a prairie rattler, not a diamondback. This variety is much smaller, but my uncle said this one was BIG for its kind -- had 6 or 7 rattles. Anyway, the experience was a bit nerveracking, I assure you, but also SUCH a blessing. How, you may ask? (You may ask...?) James and I had each walked around that side of the van and back 2 or 3 times -- had to have been within three feet of that snake. We were on our hands and knees, our faces nearly pressed to the ground trying to look under the van as we lowered the spare tire -- not 5 or 6 feet away from it. There is NO other explanation in my mind except that GOD PROTECTED US from that snake as He did Daniel in the lions' den. And He loved us enough to let us discover the thing so we would KNOW what He'd kept us from. (Who knows the countless times God has spared each of us, and we never even knew we were in peril?!) God is sooooooo good to us!!! I'm so thankful for His hand of protection!

Before the flat tire/snake incident, I was planning on coming home and BLOGGING tonight about our triumphant shopping trip. But the later excitement eclipsed the earlier! Still, I'll mention it.

We went to town today to buy paint so I can get my lazy little self busy working on the house again. We decided to just dink around town for a while, just for the fun of it. We bumbled into SO many bargains and James just CAN'T pass them up. He bought 2 camcorders (can you imagine?!) and a DVD player/recorder for a grand total of $200. I added up the retail prices and they totalled $857. Sure, only a ninny pays retail, but they still add up to at least $500 or $600 -- as a low estimate. We tried the camcorders out when we got home tonight and picked the one we liked best. The other will be sold for a profit on eBay or sold for what we paid to my aunt and uncle, if they're interested. James also bought a $136 electronic cash register for $30 today. Why, you may ask? (You may ask...?) "It was such a great deal -- I just couldn't pass that up. Besides, maybe some day we'll have our own business and..." ~sigh~ What can you do?!

There were several other great bargains of the day, but none more exciting than the two really great denim skirts I found on clearance at Christopher & Banks! I'm soooooo excited! You just can't beat a good Christopher & Banks sale. There are few things better in all the world! Well, that might be a stretch...

And of all the things we brought home today, paint was not one of them. Long story, but it's not worth the telling.

So there you have it. A day in the life of the Hornes. West Texas is an adventure all it's own, as is being married to a man with an irresistible magnetism to "a good deal," whether it's something you really need or not. Not to fear though. He'll make a profit off of whatever he doesn't decide to keep. I've been through this enough to know that.

So until our next adventure (which, quite frankly, I'm hoping isn't quite as adventuresome as today was), I'll bid you all adieu. Adieu!!!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 10:04 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

9 comments

Wow! I'm sooo glad that God kept you safe! I've never been close to a rattler and hope to never be!

That's great that you have such a thrifty and profit making husband!

Well, never a dull moment! As I read this story at 4:30 am, I was just saying "Thank you, Jesus!" I've even got tears in my eyes because of how good God is. I know Jeff came so close to many rattlers in AZ and almost stepped on a whole den once. He was such an avid hiker out there and I was always worried about him going out alone. Scorpions (the little ones) are almost as dangerous. To think of you laying out there on the ground right next to it...phew! I'm so glad your uncle was nearby to help!

Wow...great shopping trip! I didn't realize you had married your dad in the thrift department...ha! Try to have a calm day...I'm praying the painting will go well! Hugs.

sounds like you married someone as thrifty as your dad! I wonder how come women marry men that are so similar to their fathers? I married someone similar to mine...hmmm *thought of the day*

Glory to God Bec....you really should consider writing a book, title it.. A day in the Life of the Hornes! You have such a gift expressing with such accuracy, I felt like i was right there with you when describing the rattler and the bargains, i am green with envy!
have a blessed day...and a more peaceful one!

Whew! You thought my blog wore you out...your's scared me to death. Yikes! Creepy crawlies and I don't get along very well. God is so good to keep us from harm.

On the flip side, you had a great shopping trip. ~grin~

I've had a great many run-ins with snakes while I lived in east texas, too. Nasty little boogers! Thank the Lord for His protection!!

Tell Bro. Horne sorry i missed him at AL Men's Retreat. Last minute things came up.

God Bless,
Dustin Washburn

Whoa! There's another one of those dippy teen-agers! Okay, so not a teen anymore... you know what I mean. HELLO, DUSTIN!!! Um... do I know you?! I'll be sure to tell James HI for you!

Thank you for your input, Sister Melanie. I'm sure everyone appreciates hearing that.

haha No ma'am, I don't believe you know me Sis...although as I look at your most recent state newsletter I see one of my graphic designs on it. (The shaded flag with light effect) haha I thought, yay, at least somebody's making good use of it! And you are more than welcome to. If you need any more, I'd be happy to email them to you.

Also I'd bet you know my family. Ever see a whiteheaded McGriff in those Texas parts? I have to claim 'em. And even though I'm a tad bit older than a teen, being a southerner i'll still say MA'AM to ya'll slightly 'wiser' bloggers out there. lol (sorry)

Dustin Washburn