So Much for Blogging Every Day!  

Posted by cokelady

Oh, well. I made it ALMOST a week. It didn't do any good anyway, really. I somehow had thought that perhaps if one of us got all crazy and was actually posting something new every day that everybody else--or even a few--would say, "Hey, that's nifty! I think I'll give it a try, too!" It didn't nab any extra comments either. So much for a Blog Revival, hu, Amy?! ;-)

The real reason I didn't blog yesterday is because I didn't wanna. Just didn't feel like it. Truth be known, we had a pretty rough day around here yesterday. I had one of those Mom meltdowns. I HATE THOSE. It seems to happen at least once or twice a year around here. You have this overwhelming feeling that your kids have got to be the worst kids on the planet and you have TOTALLY failed in all of your efforts to train them right. They had a real doosey of a day yesterday and I toppled right over the egde. They haven't been listening very well lately and they've begun griping, whining or in some other way pitching a fit over simple little commands like, "Clean your room." Couple that with just flat-out badness (like two of them mysteriously disappearing yesterday at the horse lady's house while the other one was riding--come to find out they'd climbed up on the roof of the stable and were playing around up there!) and I've just HAD IT, you know?! I talked it over with James and we decided on a few things. I made a visit to the kids' room first. Then Dad went. Then we sat down and made a list--with the kids' input--of all of the House Rules. I don't know why, but I'm hoping that there's something about seeing it in written that will be more effective than hearing it in spoken! Ha!

Along with that list, I made up a list of chores for the kids. Our bad day started off yesterday when I went to their bedroom and found several shirts and slacks (that I had ironed and hung up) knocked carelessly to the floor and trampled upon. I decided that I'm DONE. If only Katie were a little older I'd put her in charge of all of the kid ironing! I can't do that yet, so I decided that they're going to start pitching in with all of the other household chores. I've always called them to help with the chores, but it's just been sporadic--every now and then when I'd holler for them. Mostly, I do things just like my Mom always did: by myself because it's so much faster and easier than having kids "help" you! I always said I wouldn't be that way ("Better to train them to do it from the very beginning than try to teach them later--when they feel like chores are a punishment of some kind instead of just a natural part of life"), but I failed! So now we're having to start all over again and try to reprogram them to be useful, helpful little children instead of selfish little leeches who do nothing but eat and play and wait for other people to serve them and clean up after them. (Is that too severe??? NAH!!!) Anyway, it's REALLY, REALLY bad timing. Mom will be here in just 5 days and then all of our newly established rules and regulations will go right down the tubes. For starters, I'll be too busy painting and wallpapering my life away with Mom to oversee and enforce the newly established rules. Secondly, you can't take the true liberty you otherwise would to train your children in the presence of a grandparent--you know how they are! ~sigh~ Oh well. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think. HA!

Here are Katie and Joe, checking out the new way of life.

Today has been quite productive. I took my bath, then got the afore mentioned lists printed out and went over the new rules with the kids, had devotions with them, got the kitchen cleaned up and the whole house vacuumed, helped the kids with their new "regular" chores, finished up school with them at about 1:30, went to the library with them this afternoon, then BTI service at Sister Grimes' house tonight. Came home and finished up on the ironing that I've been putting off for two weeks now. It took a few hours, but The Princess Bride helped! I haven't watched that movie in AGES. I don't know if the movie is fantastic as I think it is, or if it's just the memories of all the fun we had all those years ago that make it so great! Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Soooooo many classic lines!

The only other excitement of the day was when our newly groomed poodle ($30 just yesterday for the grooming!) got into SOMETHING. Don't know what it was, but they were sticky and matted real good into his dumb poofy head and fluffy ears. Ggrrrrr.



I managed to work most of them out in about 10 minutes, I think, so that's not as bad as it could have been. Still, why didn't he do it the day BEFORE his haircut??? Dumb dog!

That's it for now. I'm going to try to get some good rest tonight. James needs my help tomorrow setting up the WALLS THAT HE'S BEEN BUILDING! Wa-Hoo!!! Things are actually HAPPENING out in the garage! Hopefully there will be lots of before and after pictures to post in the upcoming weeks. :-)
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on 11:42 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

4 comments

Oh Sis. Becki you are so funny i just love reading your blogs you explain things in detail you could write a book..

And about having a mom melt down i just had one yesterday we had to go and pray I hate those days,cuz then we don't get much school done..Thankful i only have one child.

Ah, yes...the mom-meltdown. Mine was last week. I had the exact same thoughts of having the most awful children and being a complete failure. Thankfully this week has been better. Raising children certainly strengthens your prayer life! :-)

Not to fear...things will get better.

Sister Smith have you received my PM on the site? I wrote a bunch of info about your question about VOS.

Again sorry Becky for the hijack of your wonderful blog. BTW I told Danielle we are going to make the infamous James Frito pie for lunch tomorrow, I will let you know how it is!!!

I can't imagine why you think a visit from your parents would spoil your efforts to establish new rules.

HA!!! Grandparents are horrible about that. ;-)

About the blog revival ... I guess since I didn't send out the flyers it sort of flopped. HA! I'm wondering if we ought to have a meeting and establish new rules and consequences for not following the rules. ;-)

Rule #1: If someone comments on your blog, you have three days from that person's next post in which to comment.
Consequence for non-compliance: Your blog must wear a virtual dunce hat for three days.

:P