October 20th  

Posted by cokelady

Is that the boringest blog title of all time, or what?! Oh well, it's the best I can do tonight!

It's been a good day around here, although none of it went as scheduled. We started off with chores, breakfast, then devotions and the other chores. Which reminds me... Here are the lists, Bekah--I hope you can read them!

Anyway, I taught Katie how to scrub the tub and toilet, then talked Joe through cleaning the floor and mirror. Sam had already stripped the sheets off all the beds earlier and I was able to get the laundry started. It will take a lot more of my time initially (until the kids can actually do this stuff without me there to help or coach them), but I'm sure it will be sooooo worth it. Assuming I stick with it, that is! I fear we'll be taking a two week break from the chores we haven't learned yet, because...

MOM IS COMING!!!! Wa-Hooooo!!! I am sooooooooo excited! I'm excited to spend time with her and James is excited to see what the house will look like once she's gone. Ha! Our first two priorities are the utility room and that nasty second bathroom. There are several other things that are on the list just in case we're better than we think and finish up on those two rooms super fast. :-) It's going to be so fun!

Back to our day... We got into school, but it wasn't too long before James came home with another little can of stain--the third shade he'd bought in an effort to match our new log siding with the rest of the house. This one wasn't any good either. At Mom's suggestion, we finally pulled out the old faithful can of Special Walnut that we've had lying around the house and *voila* a perfect match! Well, as perfect as we're going to get! James was gettin' pretty antsy about the situation, so I told the kids to take a break from school and we'd finish up later. Made for a very, very happy Joe.

Katie wanted to help me stain the logs, so she and I put our work clothes on and headed outside. She helped me get the bottom 7 logs done (as far up as she could comfortably reach) and did a pretty good job, I thought! Then I sent her inside to figure out something for lunch for herself and the boys. After a while Sam came outside with a hot dog wrapped up in a corn tortilla--and just raving about how good it was. Whatever works! Kate did pretty well cleaning things up, too, so that was a GREAT help!

Once she went inside and I was left alone without distraction I couldn't help but notice the color of the logs and recognize the smell of the stain and the feel of it--and my hands covered in it. It brought back sooooo many strong memories of Grandmother and Granddad. Everybody has different memories that are special to them. Although we all know who their favorite grandkid was (Ha! I only say that in case she happens to be reading! ;-) Love ya, Stacey!), going to the cabin to help out with the wood was my special thing with them. From the time I was about 12 years old I would go spend a week or two and help Grandmother stain and sand and wax all the stuff that Granddad had built. I remember having so much fun with them and talking to Grandmother about all sorts of things. I remember asking lots of questions once about her parents and her childhood and I was so fascinated by it all. I only wish I had written it down so I could remember it all now! So I stood outside staining my logs today, tears just pouring, and praying to God and thanking Him SO MUCH for giving me such wonderful Grandparents and for all of the wonderful memories I have of them. It's been 8 years this month since they were killed and I was feeling that same ache in my heart today as I did in the very beginning. I know it sounds strange, but I'm so glad. I don't ever want to forget how much I love them and all of the wonderful memories that make me laugh or cry or both. I am SO BLESSED.

Anyway, this is the result of our labor today...

Not a perfect match, but close enough to make me very happy! And see that tiny little can next to the dog? It only took about a can and a half of that stain to do the whole thing. So today's work only cost us about $6 total. That's the kind of work day I like! :-) I just hope we can figure out how to finish the entire house so it'll still match. The old, dried out logs are going to take the Penofin or linseed oil differently than the new, smooth logs do. We may have to get creative to make sure everything still matches decently in the end!

I helped the kids finish up their crafts from Sunday School yesterday. Joe had a hard time drawing the connection between Christopher Columbus and Jacob wrestling with the angel. "But Mom... what does any of this have to do with Jacob???" Good point. NOTHING, Joe--just finish your dumb boat. ;-)

I ran out of laundry detergent before my last load this evening, so James decided to load us all up and head into town to get some. I think he was really just dreading the sandwiches or left-overs that were about to show up for dinner and wanted an excuse to go out to eat! We went to Sam's club and got my detergent and a few other odds and ends we didn't know we needed until we got there. (That's the trouble with Sam's...) Then we went to Dion's for cheap pizza before heading home.

The kids are all sleeping in their sleeping bags tonight because I never got the fresh sheets put on their beds today. ~sigh~ What a slacker! I just finished up on all of the ironing (yeah!!!), except the little bit that is still in the dryer. So in the morning I'll have to do that--and get sheets on the beds--and we should be all ready for Mom to come! I'm going to try real hard to have a full day of school tomorrow, since there's no telling how much schooling will be taking place the next week or two. ;-) And I figured I really should blog since, as you know, I don't like to sit in front of a computer when I have real, live people to be with!

Before I go, here are some pictures James took today of Sam and the cross he built. That kid is sooooo cute.


Cute... until he tries to crucify somebody tomorrow, that is! Ha! Anyway, that's it from here! LATER!!!
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on 12:48 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

Oh your chore list is great I need to do one my self maybe she will listen then.. You guys are coming great on your house maybe someday we could come and see it.. Have a great time with your mother. God Bless

As organized as you are I am so surprised that you forgot one major thing on that chore list!!!! I am so dissappointed but I will gladly help you rectify this error. So first thing that needs to be added is
401 narrow gauge!!!! That is my address. So if you could add daily chores for the family to come do here I think it would be a wonderful learning experience for the kids.
If we could just figure out how to get them back and forth..hmmmm (how far is your house from NC?) I think it maybe to far to be walking distance... Oh well it was worth a shot....

Ok all kidding aside I like the list and we have talked about starting one for Toby as well. Great job!!!!

I love the work you all have done. Do you have any real hardwood floors or are they all laminate? Even if it is engineered are any of them actual hardwood? If so get your cleaner here

http://www.bonakemi.com/shop/products.asp

Actually you can buy laminate cleaner there as well.