Lady Lessons Needed  

Posted by cokelady

We need big help around here. That little girly-girl of mine is in sad shape. She absolutely loves all things girly and is forever wearing pink, collecting flowers, dressing up like a bride, wanting to wear good "twirling" dresses, having tea parties and so on. I was the complete opposite of that in every possible way when I was a kid, so I have a hard time relating and knowing how to direct her. Her biggest problem? With all of that girliness coursing through her veins, somehow there's not a single drop of it that's actually lady-like! She is wild and klutzy and bumbles her way through each and every day. If she ever actually sits down her legs are sprawled out like a daddy-long-legs, and she has a tendency to tear through the house at break-neck speed. I (being not so dainty and proper, myself) rarely notice that anything is out of place. But just now Kate sat down with Sam to host a tea party. In these girly-girl situations I notice anew how much training she needs. She guzzles and gulps like a thirsty camel, for starters. She filled her cup up too full once and was afraid of spilling it if she picked it up. So she puckered up and stuck both lips right down into the middle of the cup (not even one lip on the edge!) and began slurping it up. When she does swallow, it's always followed by a loud smacking noise and then a satisfied, "Aaaaaahhhhhh." (Like a guy guzzling a coke or something, you know?) All of this while she's wearing her pretty white hat and plastic high heel shoes, holding her pinkie high in the air... It just doesn't seem to go together very well! I'm obviously not the person to teach her to be the little lady she really wants to be, so I need help. MOM, THAT MEANS YOU!!! Come and straighten this kid out! She's a mess and it's a lot bigger project than I'm capable of handling. So when you come for Christmas, she's all yours! I expect you to do a quick work in her. ;-)

This entry was posted on 12:00 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

11 comments

Katie will grow out of her "unladylike manners." It may take some time but it will happen. Sorry I can't give you any helpful hints or ideas. I'm one of those tomboys in a skirt myself!

Hmmmm. It sounds like a pretty big order to me! But I'll give it a valiant try when I'm there for Christmas. We'll try to squeeze in a tea party or two. Your story was very entertaining, BTW. *chuckling* I could visualize everything you described. I taught her the pinky thing last week during Thanksgiving, but we didn't work on anything else. One step at a time. *grinning*

After three girls...count your blessings ~smile~ Joleesa was the closest to not being "girly". You couldn'g bring pink anywhere near her. Now she wants everything in pink and my dare devil is gone (to a certain extent).
By the way I love your song. I love big band music, but I don't get to play it much as no one else likes it. Have you heard "Denver and the Mile High Band"?

When I was a little tomboy, I loved wearing long "MIDI-dresses" and floor length "victorian dresses" (remember those in the 70's?) to church so I wouldn't have to remember to keep my legs together. My mom was :(

She also had to get me to climb down from the flag pole after church 'cause I was in my Easter dress and Mary Janes. I still hate wearing ruffles & lace, although I gave up climbing flag poles long, long ago.

I am still laughing. The way you tell stories with my vivid imagination and it is like a movie playing out in my mind. The good news is with a few gentle reminders and pointers of how a lady should sit and behave herself and Katie Rue will be a proper little lady, in spite of the tomboyish tendencies that she inherited from her mother. ~giggle~

Charity--I just don't know. I'm afraid I've never outgrown all of my unladylike manners!

Mom--GOOD LUCK.

Sister Nowling--I love my song, too. ;-) It's just so HAPPY!!! I think I've heard OF Denver and the Mile High Band, but I've never actually heard them. Mostly, it just makes me think of John Elway and those great years for the Broncos! I rarely listen to anything other than Christian/Gospel, but I do have a few Glenn Miller CD's that help a lot with the housework every now and again. :-)

Sister Tammy--sounds like you and I are two of a kind! I used to wear sweat pants underneath my skirts and just pull them up to my knees until after service, that way I could go play football with the boys when it was all done. I never tried the flag pole. It's a shame you gave up climging them. I would've taken lessons from you! ;-)

Sister Tammi--I'm wondering what "tomboyish tendencies" you were referring to. Are you saying I glug like a camel???

Ahhh...I think that I'll save that information for a time when I might actually need it! ~hee hee~

Cokelady said:
"I never tried the flag pole. It's a shame you gave up climbing them. I would've taken lessons from you! ;-)"

Tammy:
Well, I weigh quite a bit more than I did back then and I've turned into a gray haired slug. My grandaddy (pastor) took down the flag pole and dug up the switch bush at the front door just to spare his grandchildren weekly spankings!

Hey Becki - I forgot to tell you Denver and the Mile High band is a gospel big band group. They do an awesome rendition of Rock of Ages and then I love their song "Stand" I ordered two of their CD's on line. But like I said I don't get to listen to them very often as no one else in the house seems to like them.

Hey Sis, that was really a cute story. Gave me a good chuckle which I needed today!

Denver and the Mile High band are really good. I heard them, for the first time, while listening to the radio, driving through Colorado during the move to Canada.