It's Finally Time!!!  

Posted by cokelady

Okay, all of you Christmas freaks, I'm ready to give you a run for your money! It is offically time to start celebrating Christmas!!! As you can see by my festive new blog (A MILLION THANKS TO JENNA, ONCE AGAIN! THE GIRL IS AMAZING!!!), I'm in the spirit already. And you should just see my living room. But wait -- I'm getting ahead of myself.

The kids and I had a terrific trip to Colorado the first part of this week. My kids are completely without any child companionship other than themselves, so it's sooooooo great for them to be with other kids--especially their cousins! They had a blast. They played games and rode bikes and climbed trees and wresteled and did all of the things kids ought to be doing, along with some things I'm sure they shouldn't have been doing.

I had a great time, too. It's always so great to be with Jon & Em and Mom & Dad. I was unpreprared, however, for how our family time has morphed in recent times. It used to be when we'd get together we'd sit around and talk and visit or play games. Now everybody sits in the living room together... each with his/her own notebook pc on their lap, clicking away. Nothing like family time, I tell you! Jon's house is an electronic haven, bursting at the seams with all sorts of new fangled contraptions that are all connected to one another somehow. We couldn't even watch the Bronco game on a regular TV. Too easy for Jon. He had some kind of schnazzy monitor rigged up in the living room, connected to one or more computers, receiving the feed through a wireless Internet connection. Every now and then we would encounter problems and Jon would go over to the window, pick up the router (I assume?), lift it in the air and aim it different directions trying to get things running smooth again. I had to laugh. After all of the advancements in technology (and Jon stays on top of everything) and the time and money invested, he's no better than the guy 20 years ago standing there trying to adjust the rabbit ears antenna so he can get a better picture! HA! Pitiful.

When I did talk everybody into laying aside the computers for a while (I didn't think to take my own and I felt a little left out), we actually did converse some--and Mom and Emilee and I even played some games. Emilee is the Queen of I Buy, I tell you! I think I would be able to be happy for her astounding success if it weren't for the way she chortles every time she draws another good card. It gets a little annoying, you know? Dad and Jon played chess a couple of times and when I left on Wednesday I think they were tied for number of wins and losses. So while Emilee and Mom and I are playing our games and talking and laughing and sipping hearthside cider, Dad and Jon are sitting at the other end of the table glaring silently at their game board for minutes on end with no movement and no speaking. What kind of a game is that?! Everything about it is contrary to the very idea and purpose of a game! Oh well. To each his own, I suppose. As long as they don't try to crash our game I guess I shouldn't complain.

The kids and I loaded up Wednesday morning and headed home. Made it in about 11 hours, I think, so that's great! I got the kid-o's put to bed, then got to work on the house and what I could of Thanksgiving dinner. Got up yesterday morning and made my pie and cake and green bean casserole and potatoes and whatever else was part of our contribution to dinner--along with the turkey I had started the night before. (It was soooooo scrumptious!) Then we loaded it all up and went to Aunt Sue & Uncle Jerry's house, where the rest of the food was ready and waiting. All but the sweet potatoes. We forgot them AGAIN! Second year in a row, I think. The Pooles were there, too, and we all had a nice time, except that James and Brother Poole both got to feeling rather sick and had to go home! The kids and I stayed and visited for a while, then came home in time to find James clawing his way out of bed to go get the Christmas stuff out of the shed. ;-)

So we decked the halls last night! Actually, nothing reaches the hallway just yet, but if Mr. Christmas keeps following the Hobby Lobby ads, it won't be long. There were 15 or 20 snowmen that I didn't even recognize this year! I have no idea where they came from. I guess that's not true. I have a pretty good idea... Anyway, the living room is absolutely crawling with snowmen!!! In fact, it makes me feel just the tiniest bit guilty about teasing certain parties about planting a grove of Christmas trees in their house. I know that I've got to have twice as many snowmen as he does trees. OH! The best part of the night? The MUSIC!!! Now that it's actually time, we cranked up our three favorite Christmas CDs and had a blast!!! (It's not against any Church ruling anywhere for a family to do some crazy (and out-of-sync, uncoordinated) dancing in the privacy of their own home, is it?!) Aaaaahhhhhhhh, yes. I love this time of year!!!

Okay, I've got to go. There are more halls to be decked. The kitchen, namely. I'll try to get some pictures posted here soon. Along with a very happy and festive song that is a favorite around our household. Makes me smile just thinking about it. Have a great day, ya'll!!! And Happy Thanksgiving, a day late!

~Bec~

This entry was posted on 7:50 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

12 comments

Hey! I've moved Blogs! It's now imasocialbutterfly.blogspot.com

BTW, I LOVE the new look! It is SO neat!

WOW! Your blog looks awsome! Great background. Can't wait to see pictures of your house all decorated.

I love the blog design! What is better at Christmas, candy canes, the Coca Cola Convoy or Coca Cola Train and snowmen! Oh yeah, can't forget the great smell of fresh trees, cinnamon and SNOW!

I sent you an invitation to my new blog home.

Yeah, but can you hear the song??? :-)

Is the song by Harry?

The new look is FANTASTIC, Jenna!!! WAY COOL!!!

Glad you made it home. We did, too. Well, as "home" as we can be these days. We're back in Cleveland, anyhow. We went to the store to stock up on the "Buy One, Get One Free" Blue Bell ice cream tonight (6 cartons!), so your Dad is a happy man. :-)

I sure hope we can pull of a trip to your house for Christmas. I'm dying to see your Christmas shrine in person. ;-)

Duh, I just now spotted the little song available for listening at the end of the blog. I didn't know what song you were talking about. I was just taking a stab in the dark about Harry. Now that I've heard it I KNOW it's Harry. CUTE!!! It makes me smile!

I'm so glad you like it- You said Fun, Cheery and Christmasy and so thats what I felt this was...I have to say every time I come here I think of the song "Its Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" hehe

So much fun, Becki--the blog AND the song. Merry Christmas. :-) I've been waiting to tell you all that. I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR, TOO. :-)

I LOVE snowmen! I spent probably $300 on snowmen AFTER Christmas. Do you know how much stuff that is? Especially since most of them were 50-75 percent off. Even I don't know how much stuff I have but I will find out today! WAHOO!

Yes, you can hear the song if your speakers are turned on. ~hee hee~ I tend to keep my speakers turned off, but since I knew that you wanted everyone to hear your Christmas song, I turned them on, listened all the way through and then turned them off again. I can't read and listen to music at the same time...I'm too easily distracted! ~giggle~

Yes, you can hear the song if your speakers are turned on. ~hee hee~ I tend to keep my speakers turned off, but since I knew that you wanted everyone to hear your Christmas song, I turned them on, listened all the way through and then turned them off again. I can't read and listen to music at the same time...I'm too easily distracted! ~giggle~

Sorry for the double post, please delete one.