Finally Home!  

Posted by cokelady

I’ll never remember everything that has gone on since we got back. You lucky dogs. But, as always, I’ll do my best! Hhmmm. I remember nothing of the first three days, but I can imagine that it was full of lots of kid time and—oh yeah, 6 loads of laundry that first day. Ah yes, it all comes back to me now!

On Thursday night we had a baptismal service! Exciting!!! Ellis & Elizabeth Poole wanted to be baptized, so we did all we could to make ready for the big event. Unfortunately, “all we could” still wasn’t the greatest! The building we rent has a baptismal… but I don’t think it’s been used in at least 20 years. GUH-ROSS. Brother Sam & James swept it out, then I did all I could to clean it, but you’d never know it. It’s a very long story (even a little too long for my blood), but it included running 250’ of garden hose from the kitchen at the other end of the building, very little hot water, even less water pressure, resulting in a very shallow and lukewarm (at best) pool. There at the end we just cranked the hot and cold water on full blast to get enough water in the tank to be able to get anybody all the way under. That, of course, resulted in an ending temperature much, much cooler than could be considered desirable. Or the least bit comfortable. Now, I know that people have been baptized in frigid mountain rivers for years (I’m one of them), but we were baptizing a 94 year old man…on oxygen…with congestive heard failure… We did all we could, then PRAYED. Brother Ellis came through just fine and we promptly got him wrapped in an electric blanket (yes, we did unplug it! Ha! –Wouldn’t it be just like us for the guy to live through a bone chilling baptism only for us to electrocute him to death afterwards!) and he warmed up quickly and was sooooooooo happy to have been baptized! This coming Sunday, he and his wife are planning on renewing their wedding vows AND (insert drum roll here, please) joining The Church of God!!! Isn’t that exciting?! The Church of God in Andrews, Texas is just about to take in two new members!!! PRAISE THE LORD!

Katie really wanted to be baptized, so James said, “Let her!” She was pretty nervous, but after seeing that Brother Ellis & Sister Elizabeth lived through it (and Dad didn’t hold them under that long, after all), she decided to do it. Afterwards she, like Brother Ellis, was soooooooo excited. She just kept saying, “I feel so happy!!! I mean, I feel like I’m saved already!!!” I tried to explain that she had things a little backwards—that you’re supposed to get saved first, then baptized, but I don’t know if it did any good. James figured it would be fine to baptize her because he knows that she’s repented…over and over and over again!

This entry was posted on 10:49 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

My overactive imagination was taking off there when you mentioned wrapping the poor old guy in an electric blanket AFTER he came out of the baptismal.

Katie is too adorable!