The Weekend!  

Posted by cokelady

I had the privilege of working for Sue again! She rents a booth at Merry Market Place each year, a big show down in Odessa, and sells stuff from her store. It blows my mind how much work goes into such a thing (!), but I guess it’s worth it. She does terrific business there. I worked 9-6, then drove the 40 minutes home, fed the kids, got them taken care of and in bed—then went over to Sue’s store and worked from 8:30-10:00 that night running credit cards and tallying the tickets! Sue and Stacey were running all over the store in their pajamas, tearing that place apart and collecting more stuff to take down and sell in the booth! It was CRAZY, but so much fun!

Once I got home at 10:00 I spent the next 2 and a half hours doing some big housecleaning—scrubbing the bathroom, mopping the kitchen floor, etc., thinking that company was coming the next day. I finally fell into bed at about 1:00am.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I got pulled over again on my way down to Odessa that morning. This time I was speeding, but was scared to confess to it before I knew for certain that it had nothing to do with my headlights. I just rolled down the window and smiled weakly at the cowboy hat clad officer. (I love Texas!) He told me that he had, indeed, pulled me over because of my speed. We chatted for a minute or two and he told me that he was only going to give me a written warning. When he returned to the car to give me my license back I asked just how fast I had been going. 10 over. And he just gave me a warning! Isn't that fantastic?! Talk about a friendly cop! In all fairness to myself, let me say that the speed limit changes from 70 to 55 *wham-o* with no warning at all and in a very strange place where you'd never expect it. Regardless, I really did deserve a ticket that time, but we either have very forgiving police around here, or I have a certain and convincing pitiful look about me. They're probably familiar with that "If you give me a ticket, my husband is going to kill me and then you'll have a real crime to deal with" look--if so, I know they can spot it on me a mile away. By the way, I haven't mentioned this little incident to James yet. I've been waiting to blog it. Things have been pretty stressful around here and he's had a lot on him and I just couldn't find the right time to say, "Oh yeah--I got pulled over again! Second time in 5 days--and I was really speeding this time, but got away with it..." I just thought it would be best to come clean here in public... And where he'll probably read it some night while I'm safe and asleep in bed. In fact, immediately after I publish this post I intent to dive straight into bed, just in case. Love you, James!!! *wink*

The next day we got everybody up early to go back to Odessa so we could be there for the Veggie Tales party at the Family Christian Store. It was in honor of the release of their newest show, Gideon: Tuba Warrior. We, however, did it in honor of Sam’s 3rd birthday! They showed the video, then played some trivia games and gave out prizes and all kinds of free-bee’s. We came away with a CD, a DVD, a whole slew of placemats and coloring pages and window stickers and who knows what all. It was fun! We came home and threw ourselves back into cleaning house until we received the phone call at 3:00 informing us that our expected house guests weren’t going to coming after all. You know who you are! ;-) I had also made a strawberry cake for Sam’s birthday (his request) and James picked up some balloons at Sue’s store, so we had his party that night—although his birthday wasn’t until the next day. Sam and Tammy joined us for a nice home cooked dinner of meatloaf, baked potatoes, corn, green beans, and cheesy garlic bisquits. Mmmmm! I was in the cookin’ mood! Then we sang and had cake and watched the birthday boy tear into his gifts and try hard to share some of them. (Naturally, he wasn’t very successful. That selfish old Adamic nature, you know.) It was a lot of fun.

After the kid-o’s went to bed I played cards with Sam & Tammy. Sam was whippin’ up on us through the entire game and wasn’t a little cocky about it. The grand and glorious moment of the day is when he had only a little over 100 points to go to put the game away, but Tammy came from way back and made 850 points in the last hand, passed him right up and left him crying in the dust. *aaaaahhhhhhhhh* What a great moment. He soooooooo deserved it. I was even happy to lose to Tammy—just because it was so great to see the shock and disbelief and disgust on Sam’s face! God’s trying to teach him to lose gracefully, I’m sure, but he’s just not interested in that particular lesson.

This entry was posted on 10:45 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

That reminds me of the time we played clue with your brother and he guessed it wrong. It was so funny! Nathan was very happy.