Nothing Fun  

Posted by cokelady

No, really. Don't get your hopes up for some grand and glorious kid story--I don't have any tonight. I know that I've laughed a lot at them today, but can't seem to recall anything specific. It just seemed like it was time to blog again, so here I am!

Something I've been failing to report is the discovery of a Home School Group here in Andrews, Texas! WHOA!!! I've tried to find out if there was such a thing several times, but to no avail. Then last month I bumped into a lady at the library who happens to head up a group here in town! I think there are nine families involved at this point. Last week was our first outing with them and it was great! We went on a field trip to tour a candy factory down in Midland. Very interesting! And they have all of their offices set up like an old western street--the jail, the saloon, etc., so Joe thought it was terrific. The free samples were great, too. ;-) Most of the families seem really nice.

This past Tuesday was Mom's Night Out for the group. James was working the late shift at Mardel, so Tammy offered to watch the kids for me so I could go. (What a friend!) It was just me and Sara (the leader) and another lady named Angela who I REALLY like. I've really been praying for God to give me some open doors in the are and I'm excited at the thought of having contact with some PEOPLE other than church folks! These ladies are sooooooo nice and we already have so much in common. (The reasons why a lot of folks homeschool their kids are similar and usually spill over into other areas of their lives as well.) It's refreshing to visit with people who don't think you're loony for wanting to keep your kids at home with you! Anyway, they seem like really nice ladies and seem to be so very sincere in their desire to please the Lord. I'm praying that God can somehow use me to be a blessing to them. There is more out there for them and their families than just "the kingdom" and I want to be a good representation of what they have yet to discover!

Along those same lines, James has had some very interesting talks with his boss at Mardel lately. He and his family, too, share a great many of our same feelings and convictions and Brian (the boss) told James the other day that he doesn't know when he's ever met anyone so "like minded" before. He said he's pretty sure he and his family would be attending our Church right now instead of the Assembly of God... if it weren't all the way over in Andrews! (Mardel is in Midland, 35 or 40 miles away.) He's asked James LOTS of questions and seems to really be searching right now. Say a prayer for him, please! I was thinking the other day... Wouldn't it be just like God to bring us to a place where James would be required to get a secular job--so that He could open some doors and give some "ripe" people the opportunity to discover The Church of God?!

In other news, we had SNOW yesterday!!! Not really, but for around here, that's what they called it. I would call it a "heavy dusting." Nonetheless, you would've thought we got 3' of it, the way the kids carried on. I got them all bundled up and we all went out and tried to play in it for a while. Joe slipped and fell on the icy sidewalk at least 8 times. He insisted on wearing his cowboy boots. (My children have never owned snow boots.) I was scraping what snow I could off the sidewalk to try to make a few snowballs for them. They were loving it and stayed outside for the longest time. Pitiful, I know! My kids don't even know what a real snow really is! But...

They are actually forecasting SNOW for tonight!!! One station says 2-6" and the other station says 6-12". I'm hanin' with the big snow people!!! ;-) Actually, I'm trying to be very, very careful to not get my hopes up at all. It wouldn't totally shock me to wake up to nothing but some sleet and a lot of mud tomorrow. It just doesn't SNOW here, you know?! But if it DOES happen to snow, I've got my plan all worked out. First of all, Tammy is coming over!!! We'll go out and play with the kids for a while--make snow angels, the biggest snowman we can, and have a grand snowball fight. Then we'll come in and warm up by a nice, cozy fire. We'll drink hot cocoa or spiced cider and have corn chowder or ham and beans for lunch. We'll play games, maybe watch a girl movie and otherwise just celebrate the grand occassion! You know what would make it too good to be true? Getting enough snow to make snow cream! I don't think my kids have ever even tasted it before. CRAZY. So tonight (although I just stepped outside and it's completely dry and doesn't even feel very cold) I'm PRAYING for snow!!! God knows how much we need it. ;-)

Okay, gotta go. Maybe next time you hear from me I'll have some wonderful snow stories to share! Wouldn't that be something?! Easy, Bec, ... you're getting excited again... down, girl. *sigh* G'night all!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 10:01 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

4 comments

Did you get your snow or is that forecast for tonight? I'm telling you...if you truly want your kids to know what snow is...bring them up here. We are getting dumped on big time! Besides...Sam needs someone to jump around in the snow with...I'm just not that spry anymore. ~giggle~ I really hope that you get a couple inches, at least.

I'm so excited for you guys and the doors that God is opening for you. We'll be praying for ya.

Praise the Lord. I am so glad to see that He is opening doors for you and James to minister to some kingdom saints. That is so exciting! I hope that you got your snow and that Tammy is there now.

You know I dont think there is a year that has gone by that we have gone with out snow and this year we've got more then enough lol

but in my 21 yrs I dont think I've ever had snow cream before.... I remember making it with a friend but didnt stick around to eat it its pitiful

Your poor kids have never had snow cream? They have been deprived of one of winter's fun experiments. Just kidding. In Va we rarely get snow and evn rarer do we get enough to make snow cream with.