The Best Day of My Life???  

Posted by cokelady

Very nearly. And have I mentioned lately how much I love Tom Tefertiller?!?!? What a guy!!! Best weatherman in the state--probably the world. ;-) But more about that later...

James and I woke up sometime before 7:00am and peeked outside. WHOA!!! I was in denial for several minutes, but it was really true: 5" of fresh, clean, beautiful snow!!! In west Texas!!!!!! God loves me soooooooo much!!!

When the kids finally woke up (seemed like it took hours!!!) we fed them some oatmeal while I shoveled the sidewalks out back. As soon as we could, we got everybody all bundled up and headed to the front yard. Tammy showed up about that time to play with us, so we set to work on our snowman. We worked long and hard (the snow wasn't wet enough to be able to roll, so that made it quite a challenge!) while getting pelted with snowballs from the boys. We were almost done when we decided to take the head and middle section off and start over. He just wasn't looking just right. I told Tammy that no more than we see snow around here we're going to do it right and have a snowman we could be proud of! So after building, dismantling, and rebuilding him, this is what we came up with. I've never been so happy to see a snowman in my whole life!!!



Here's a pic with the whole crowd. The boys were only minimal help, but Katie brought us shovelfull after shovelfull of snow so we could keep packing it on.


While we were building I noticed that the old man next door was raking the snow off of his driveway!!! I asked if I could shovel it for him or if he'd like to borrow our snow shovel. He thanked me, but declined. After a minute he looked at our shovel and said, "You brought that thing here from somewhere'st else." I laughed and told him I'd come from Colorado. In another minute or two he picked up the shovel and said, "I think I'll give this here thing a try. I've never used one before." Can you believe that?! This man has got to be 75 years old. Never used a snow shovel!!! I've never heard anything so tragic in my whole life. Pitiful!!!

Anyway, after an hour or two enjoying the wonders of winter (that are painfully rare in this little corner of the world) we came in to get warmed up.


James ordered pizza for us (what a guy!!! -- He had stayed home from work due to the snow, by the way) so we had a great lunch. Then I brought in the big bowls of snow that I'd set aside earlier and made some snow cream. It had been years since I'd made any (you can imagine) and I couldn't remember exactly how to do it. So I called HQ and asked for Dad. I never thought anything of it until James started cracking up. "You call General Headquarters and ask to speak to the General Overseer... to ask him how to make snow cream?!?!?" It never occured to me that everybody wasn't calling him and asking! Dad makes terrific snow cream. Relaying the recipe is a different matter. The instructions went something like this: "Well, let's see here... You take a whole slew of eggs--without the shells--whomp 'em up real good. And then you, uh... let's see... you use a can of some funny kind of milk and, um..." I finally said, "Thanks, Dad. I'll call Mom." She was much more helpful, I assure you, and the snow cream was delicious!!!

Afterwards we bundled the kids up again and sent them out back to play. Fun, fun, fun!!!


I came on in and sent some pictures to my Dad -- and a few to Tom Tefertiller. I was serious when I said last time that I had e-mailed him threatening to bring the kids down to his station and refuse to leave until he got us the snow he'd promised. He had written me back on Monday and said how very sorry he was for the lack of snow and the bad forecasting to go along with it. Said to not lose hope--we might get some snow that very night. (I, of course, chalked that up as another lie, but appreciated his apology nonetheless.) He begged us to please not come down and throw any mud balls at him.

So I felt I had to write back and let him know that he had gone from "scum of the earth" to "greatest guy in the world" because of those 5". (A good weatherman in my book is one who delivers snow, regardless of what he says should or shouldn't happen.) I sent him that picture of all of us with the snowman and the one of the kids making snow angels -- and one of my ruler buried in the snow all the way up to the 5" mark. :-)

After a while we brought the kids in and put them down for a nap, then Tammy and I sat in the den and played games by the fire. ~sigh~ Can it get any better?!?!? When the news came on at 4:00 we were sure to watch Tom Tefertiller. Not only did he deliver snow, but he put our picture on the news! Ha! How fun is that?! The only bad part is that the kids were down for their nap and missed it. It was on again on the 5:00 news, but the kids were outside playing again by then! Oh well. It was fun, nonetheless!

We had left-over pizza for dinner, then I made a run to the store before coming home and putting the kids to bed. Took a nice, hot shower, put on my flannel Coca-Cola nightgown, some fuzzy socks, and sipped on some hot cocoa--cherry vanilla flavored. Yum!!! ~long, satisfied sigh~ What a day!!! I tried to blog all of this last night, but kept getting errors. Weird. Anyway, here it all is! The snow is melting fast and by last night our snowman was leaning forward precariously--the big fall will happen sometime today. But it's still just so glorious that we actually had a snowman--in my front yard--in Andrews, Texas!!!! Wa-Hoooo!!!! Life is Grand and I am just soooooooooo, soooooooooo, sooooooooooo happy!!!!

~Bec~

Update: The snowman is no more. Some punk kid came and knocked him down. (I can tell because his remnants are not on the side he'd been leaning toward; they're on the opposite side.) No matter. It was still a grand and glorious day and no punk kid is going to be able to spoil it for me now!!! ;-)

Keep scrolling--there's more!

Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on 6:42 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

Wow, that is the best snowman I have ever seen! I am very impressed. It sounds like you guys had so much fun. I am very happy for you. You finally got some snow!

I'm happy for Tom too. It has to be discouraging to be wrong so often. I'm glad he got one right.

Congratulations on the snow. I think that Ray was about to jump in the truck and haul that backend full of snow to you since no one up here wants to buy it. ~grin~ Looks like you guys enjoyed every second of your snow, what great memories you all will have from this freak snowfall in Texas. I love the part of the story about the neighbor too, priceless!

Yes, indeed--your General Overseer can whip up a mean tub of snow cream. Just don't ask him to tell you how it's done!

Thanks, Haley--I thought "Marshall Frosty" was pretty good, too! Sam and Tammy drove around town and said there were some snowmen out there that were bigger, but ours was the best. :-)

Ray is welcome to deliver that truckload of snow any time--ours will be gone by tomorrow at the latest. I would love some more snow AND a visit from my dear old 2nd Dad! ;-)

Wahoo! What a fun day! I'm so happy for you guys! Your snowman is (or should I say, was) really great. A true Texas snowman.

I'm afraid you would have been disappointed with our snow. It's melted and frozen so many times it can't possibly be good for anything anymore. Speaking of melting, Jon said last night he'd be surprised if the snow is still around when you get here. It's supposed to be in the 40's for the next few days. Our road is melting, but I'd be pretty surprised if ALL our snow melts. We've got mounds and mounds.

Anyway, congratualtions on a real snow in West Texas!!!

Thats totally cool- and to have the pictures on tv thats awesome!!!

I feel guilty- we've got TONS of snow and I havent done anything in it- no snowman, no snow angles, no nothing- I did go sledding once but that was a bad experiance and haven't gone sense lol- all I've done is take pictures of the stuff from the warmth of a car hehe

Hey Em! I've had my snow fix, so I'm okay if there's none when we get there. Especially if it's all old and dirty and crusty. Who wants that?!

Jenna, THAT'S JUST WRONG. How can you not get out there and enjoy that wonderful powder from heaven?! I'd kick you out of my club...if I had one. --And if I didn't desperately need your help with my blog every few months. ;-) Still, I'd like a commitment from you that you're going to make one snow angel sometime this week!!! That's not too much to ask, is it???

Great job on the snowman, girls, even if it does look as though you had to get a little obsessive to get it just right.

:-)

Didn't know you got so much snow down there. Must have been fun. Looks like you got more than we've gotten up here in Ohio. It's fun reading your blog and seeing such great pictures. Hope all is well.
Amy M.