"Kum-ba-ya, my Lord, kum-ba-ya..."  

Posted by cokelady

Have you ever had a campfire in your house? Happens here all the time. The kids will dump the whole bin of Lincoln Logs in the middle of the floor to create their "fire," grab their guitars, pull up whatever they can find to sit on, and sing rounds and rounds and rounds and rounds of Kum-Ba-Ya. Always a very rousing rendition of it, too. They even roast marshmallows sometimes. My kids have actually never been camping. Who needs to go camping when you've got the imaginations of a 5 year old, a 4 year old, and a 2 year old working full steam?

Katie was trying to show the boys how to eat like a beaver tonight during dinner time. (If any of you see her at the Assembly, please don't ask for a demonstration.) Joe told her it was against the law to eat like a beaver and he was going to have to throw her in jail. For once, I was in full support of the little lawman.

I got some cleaning done today and the usual Saturday things: vacuuming, baths, etc. I got into the habit of vacuuming every Saturday night because we used to have church here at our house on Sundays. We don't anymore, but I'm trying to stay in the habit of vacuuming regularly--otherwise it's a job I end up neglecting horribly! Anyway, I was cleaning off my desk today and something just hit and and *ping* I whipped out four cards!!! Wow! I haven't made cards in a few months now. I love to do it, but I rarely make time for it. I made one "fall-ish" kind of card and three Christmas cards. Now, before I start hearing all of the rebukes for being a hypocrite and getting on to James for ushering Christmas in 5 months early (!), let me explain. This in no way is connected with the Christmas music I've been forced to listen to or the decorations I've been forced to view this past week. Actually, my plan was to make Christmas cards in March of this year because when I wait until it's "time" to make them, I don't have time--things are too hectic. Well, things were apparently too hectic in March, too, because I never made any. But when we were on our bargain hunting spree at Hobby Lobby yesterday I noticed that their scrapbook papers were on sale -- 1/2 off. What was I to do?! I found some really fun Christmas ones, so I figured I'd get some now while they're cheap. I saw them laying on my desk today and thought, "Hey, I'm in a card making mood!!!" Since I can't even remember the last time I was in that mood, I figured I should take action quickly before I missed my window of ambition. Thus, four cards. ~aahhh~ It felt great to do something FUN! And just think, 3 people will get handmade Christmas cards from me this year! The rest of you will get the cheap-o's from Wal-Mart. ;-)

We're going to have our service here in Andrews at noon tomorrow (as is customary since we got into this new building), then we're going to grab a bite to eat and drive over to Merkel to join them in their evening service. It's about a 3 hour drive and they start church at 5:00, so we'll be pushing it to get there in time. If I can ever get ahold of Sam & Tammy (where are you two?!?!?) I'm going to ask if they'd like to ride over there with us.

That's it for now. I think I'll go see what James is up to. I've got the house pretty much whipped into shape (all except the kitchen floor, which I am not going to worry about tonight), so maybe we can just relax for a while. Sounds great!


~Bec~



P.S. -- As of tomorrow morning:
JUST 11 MORE DAYS!!!! Wa-Hoooooo!

This entry was posted on 8:22 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

12 comments

you know, my kids would just LOVE to play with your kids. :)

I wish they could!!! My kids NEED some friends. They'd have such a blast with your crew! ~sigh~ Maybe someday they'll get the chance!

I remember when we were little dad would set up the tent in the back yard and he would take us camping in the yard- camping is something we've alllways enjoyed and its been a long while sense we've done it

Hey, Katie, could you show me how ... JUST JOKING !!!! :)

See, there was nothing to worry about, Jenna! If that duplex in Anchorage hadn't become available you guys could have renewed your camping experiences! :-)
Considering Becki's history with the fire department, it sounds pretty risky to have a pile of dry Lincoln logs on the living room carpet. It's only a matter of time before one of the little lawbreakers find a match or lighter. *shaking head* But I WOULD love to see and hear the whole campfire/KumBaYa experience. The beaver impersonation I could probably do without.

No, I think that we really need Katie to demonstrate how beavers eat. I don't think the visual that I have compares to the real thing. ~grin~

Really, people--the beaver impression isn't nearly as great as you seem to think it will be. It really didn't even enter the Mildly Entertaining category. Just the Not Acceptable At The Dinner Table category.

It's midnight-thirty. We just got back from Merkel. I'm bushed. Kids are in bed. Me too...in about 30 seconds! G'night!

Way to think on the positive side there Sis. Smith-lol- I'm extra thankful for the the duplex now -hehe-

Actually even an attempt to be boring have proven adventurous. I was particularly entertained with the cowboys. Will they be cowboys at teh assembly? I think there could be some evil doers there to lock up and throw away the key. We might need that kind of service.

The beaver impression may not be all it is cracked up to be, but your reaction to it would be! ~hee hee~ Love ya!

I just went to a scrapbooking party yesterday at my cousin's house, and GUESS WHAT????? We did homemade cards!!!!!!!! What a coinkidink!!!!!!!!!!!! tee hee;-)

Hey Becki, Have you seen our pet snake?