Ta-Da!!! (Again)  

Posted by cokelady

Okay, here are a few shots of James' booth now that he got the $22 floor in (!) and some product displayed. Isn't it terrific??? I love it!!! Of course, it looks a whole lot like my kitchen. ;-) It's just so bright and cheery!!! James wants everybody to know that "it's not done yet!!!" There are lots of duplicates in there (you have to order in bulk to get the great price from the wholesalers) and we've got to find a good use of all that empty floor space in the middle. We're still brainstorming. But I think it's a terrific start!!!




And here is my very first try at a bundt (is that spelled right?!) cake. WOW!!! I'm so excited! I've had the pan for years, but have always been too scared to use it. I remember the bundt cakes my Mom used to make when I was a kid. The top half would stay in the pan and she'd try to piece it together on top of the rest and it was just a big crumbly mess. I was going to have the same trouble with mine (it was not coming out of that pan!), so I decided to freeze it. Worked like a charm! Got it just stiff enough to hold together while I pried it out of there. ;-) You can see minor wounds, but nothing too serious. Nothing that can hold a candle to the scars on my Mom's poor cakes, anyway. Right, Mom??? :-)


The cake tastes good, too. Chiffon Spice Cake, I think is it's name. Yum!

Let's see... News, news, news. I can't seem to think of any. The most consuming thing in my life right now is trying to figure out what to do with a mean, selfish child that is developing severe character flaws and is going to grow up lonely and miserable because of it. Lectures don't do much at this age and the spankings don't seem to be getting through. I've tried everything I can think of, which is probably a good thing. When you're out of options and feeling desperate you begin to pray hard--like you should have been praying all along! I'm realizing that I can't make my kids be good and nice and kind and thoughtful... There are some things that happen way deep down in the heart where only God can reach. I've done all I know to do and more, so now I'm begging God to do what I can't do!

Guess what?! Mom had weeds for dinner tonight!!! Is that cool, or what?! It wouldn't have been cool if I would've been there and had to eat them, but from 1500 miles away, it's great! "Poke," I think they said. Sister Bishop found it out in Mom's yard and went out to pick some and cooked it up. Weird. Makes me think of Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies! Ha!

I'm trying to think of something grand that the kids have been up to lately. We don't have any bees or slugs around like their Colorado cousins (thank goodness!), but they've been having fun with the worms in the back yard. And Emilee, Katie loves the worms as much as the boys do. You'd never suspect Katie and Abbie of being interested in such gross things (especially Abbie!!!), but they seem to get a real bang out of it. A few weeks ago all three of my kids were sneaking around the house with strange, pieced together "costumes" of some sort, fly swatters, and magnifying glasses. I couldn't figure out what they were up to until I heard one of them say, "Look! I see some Mexican Red-Kneed Tarantula tracks--come on! This way!!!" Spider hunting, of course.

The most exciting part of the day today was when a package arrived from Grandma Vicki. Katie was thrilled to discover that Grandma had, indeed, made her an Easter dress and she just squeeled and jumped and clapped and hugged it and on and on. Mom had also sent some Easter candy for everybody and some little toys for the boys--balsam wood airplanes and those little plastic guys with a parachute that you toss up into the air. The boys were thrilled and ran outside immediately to try them out. Within 10 minutes both planes had been smashed to smithereens and one parachuter was stuck on the roof. But it sure was fun while it lasted!

Well, I'd best get off of here and try to get the house put together a little bit. It always helps the day go better when you can wake up to a clean house. Doesn't happen as often as I'd like for it to, but I always try! :-)

G'night!
~Bec~

Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on 8:37 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

10 comments

Anonymous  

Everything you always wanted to know about Polk (Poke) Salad, but were afraid to ask:

IMPORTANT HEALTH INFORMATION
Use only 6 to 7 inch shoots before berries. ''The roots, berries, seeds, and mature stems and leaves of pokeweed are poisonous'' says Extension Foods Scientist Jean Weese. (Source: Dr. Jean Weeese, Food Scientist, Alabama Coopertive Extension System (334) 844-3269

Contact Us
Tennesse Polk Salad Assc.
P.O. Box 1006
Harriman, TN. 37748

-- The title Miss Polk Salad is spelled P.O.L.K because of the Elvis Presley rendition of the song Polk Salad Annie

Sister Bec, Your mother has been treated to one of the best Southern dishes there is, this side of Heaven.

Brother Clarkson

All I can say is... BETTER HER THAN ME!

That cake sure looks good and is very hard on someone who has yet to eat breakfast.

Interesting you should mention that. That cake WAS our breakfast this morning! :-)

I don't get it...why do you guys have such a hard time getting your cakes out of the bundt pans...I've never had any problem with mine and I would much rather do a bundt cake than any other. ~hmmmm~

The booth looks totally awesome, duplicates and all! Too bad you couldn't find one of those old fashioned soda counters to sit in the middle with the old fashioned stools to match.

Or what I call ice cream parlor table and chairs (remembering Dooley's in Cleveland @ OLD old Tabernacle (yes, I was little but remember it). A little round curvy metal table with glass or other top with curvy metal chairs with striped cushions. Most people have them out on their porches.

Just keep praying. 5 years will eventually pass :) but then 8 will show up :(

You can spray the bundt pan very well with cooking spray (not with flour in it), then take spoon (fulls) of sugar and slowly tap all around the top of pan until all sides are covered. Then shake the pan and get the rest of the sugar to coat the bottom and crevicesj, making sure that the entire pan is coated, especially the crevices. You may need to cook the cake just a tad longer.
The sugar give the cake a little sweeter coating and doesn't seem to stick like flour.

TEll Br.James that I love the new booth. You guys did a FANTASTIC job on it. When I ever get an actual house I know who to hire for the decorating. hehe

Anonymous  

I love the new booth. It is great and it does look like your kitchen.
But then, I always loved your kitchen. Tell Bro. James he is doing great. I can't wait til we come down so I can see it in real life.
Prayer is the only answer to the children and as your mom says "have
righteous expectations". That is great advice. God can touch places we cannot.
Love you,~~Sis. Gaylene~~

The booth really does look great!

The cake looks YUMMY.

Jon and I got a good laugh from your "Spider Hunting" story. After I read it, I had to read it to him. Your kids are so great! It totally blows my mind that our girly-girls like worms...weirdos!!!

Wow, that is alot of Coke stuff. Looks good.

Strange, these girls of ours. Alana will kill a spider faster than Elijah and with no hesitation. Elijah on the other hand...like pulling teeth. Alana did bring a worm in the house the other day. I calmly told her that worms stay outside. *shaking head*