Remember the Alamo!!!  

Posted by cokelady

Actually, all you have to remember is that that's where I'm going. :-) I am sooooo excited!!! I've wanted to see the Alamo my whole life and it's actually going to happen! I'm even more excited after the "research" I've done on it the past week or two. The whole thing is just so fascinating--how 189 men held off nearly 4,000 bad guys (!) for so long and all of the reasons why and what happened next and what it meant for Texas and, consequently, for the states that weren't yet part of the Union... And did you know that William Travis (the guy who led the good guys at the Alamo) was only 26 years old?! Amazing. "Victory or death," he wrote to his family, telling them that he was determined to hold out as long as he could, and concerning his only son, "...if the country be lost and I should perish, he will have nothing but the proud recollection that he is the son of a man who died for his country." I can't wait to learn more and be able to actually see where this incredible battle took place--to be there. How cool is that?!

The kids are excited and I'm just hoping it lasts long enough for me to be able to enjoy it all before they get restless! It'll all be good. I'm excited to see some Texas Bluebonnets (will be another first for me) and the River Walk and all of the great things we keep hearing about San Antonio. And I'm really excited to be able to go see Adam in the hospital too, although it sounds really weird in the same paragraph with everything else. "Yeah, we're going to take in the Alamo, the zoo, the busted up guy at the hospital..." Ha! Do pray for the Lord to continue to work in Adam's heart and soften him. He needs God!!! And pray for God to give us wisdom. I want to say the right words in the right spirit--and only God can make that happen.

Sea World--I'm also sooooo excited about Sea World! We're saving that until last because I'm afraid if we went there first the kids would be bored silly with things like the Alamo. From what I've been reading, the park is somewhat separated; the animal attractions being on one side and the rides on the other. Perfect! We're going to see the animals and it'll be nice to not have to work our way through all the rest. I also read that they let you feed and pet the dolphins now (no charge)--something we didn't get to do when I went at age 11. That is sooooo cool! The kids are going to LOVE it. Almost as much as their mother. ;-) I could go on, but you're going to hear about all of the same things soon enough, only in past tense. I'm just so excited!!! (Have I mentioned that?!)

Seems like there was lots more to write about, but all I can think about at the moment is our trip. We've entered into the wee hours of the morning now and I really ought to get some sleep if I intend to be alert enough to enjoy myself on our journeys (!), so SO LONG!!!

Love You All,
~ Rebekah ~

This entry was posted on 11:19 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

Anonymous  

Well Beck,
I hope you have loads of fun. I remember when we went to sea world in California. I had a blast.

Well you talking about the Alamo makes me want to do some research. Maybe I'll see it when I am as young as you (which is 24).;)

Tell lots of stories when you get back.

Jake

Remember the Alamo!
This native Texan has jokingly taught her Native Texan children (to the dismay of my AL Crimson Tide hubby) to salute the Texas flag when we see it!

The Alamo is a little smaller than one might expect, but still great place to visit. The Breckenridge Botanical Gardens are pretty. The endless fields of bluebonnets, Indian paint brushes and the "pink flowers that you smear the center yellow stuff on your face" are to die for and really reminds you of what heaven must really look like!

They built the river walk and Sea World later, so I've never seen those. We would love to go there again.

Enjoy