Day Two  

Posted by cokelady

~WHEW~ What a day!!! I wouldn’t believe everything we’ve crammed into just one day if I weren’t feeling it like I am! I’m exhausted—and sore! We’ve walked miles today, I’m sure, but we’ve had such a great time.

Stop #1: The Alamo. We wanted to do this very first. We went this morning and watched a documentary type thing about the Alamo that showed what happened before, during, and after the siege. It was very well done and portrayed the events and men in such a way that you felt like you were really there—like you knew them and could feel what they were feeling. I know this will surely sound corny, but it was powerful. At the end I noticed heavy sobs coming from the seat next to me. It was Katie. Then Joe came and started asking questions with quivering lips, trying hard to fight back the tears. In the minutes that followed our whole family was in a little huddle out in the hallway, crying together and talking about life and death and liberty. Even Yankee Boy (James) cried. It was all just so moving. William Travis had sent several letters asking for help and assistance—more troops to come to the Alamo to help fight. Word finally arrived that no assistance would be coming (not in time, anyway). He took his saber and drew a line in the sand, then asked for all who were willing to fight and die along side of him to come on his side and stand with him. All but one crossed the line, even Jim Bowie who was deathly sick insisted that he be carried across the line on his cot. It’s such an overwhelming feeling when you realize that right then and there they had made their decision: they were going to die for the cause of freedom in Texas. The knew at that point that no assistance would be coming and that they were outnumbered nearly 10 to 1. Death and defeat wasn’t just a possibility, it was inevitable. Yet they stayed and gave their lives for all that they held dear and for the future of those who would follow after them. Amazing. That’s the part that really got the kids, too. We had wondered if all of this might be a little too much for them, but even though it was hard on them I think this was a really, really good experience for them. For all of us. I hope we've all learned a lot and hopefully even been changed by it. I asked Joe later on if he had been at the Alamo and had the choice, would he have stayed and fought and died with those men, or would he have fled and gone back home to his family. He thought hard, then said that he would've stayed and died there. Katie has been talking for weeks about how sad it is that those men died at the Alamo, but she's quick to follow it up with how proud she is that they fought for our freedom. I hope the lessons they're learning are really sinking in. I think they are.

After watching the history of it, we walked across the street to the Alamo itself. It is an amazing feeling—after you’ve just seen what happened there—to stand in that place and consider how significant it is. We were standing at the west side where the main entrance was. It’s the side where Davy Crockett and his men were defending the wall and we saw the spot where legend says he died.
This is supposedly the cannon that Travis fired back at Santa Anna in answer to the command to surrender...
The Alamo is a shrine and you’re not allowed to take pictures inside, but there was so much neat stuff in there. They had a vest that belonged to Davy Crockett and a knife that was Jim Bowie’s at one time, along with several more significant artifacts as well. :-) It was just sooooooooo neat. I can’t imagine anybody getting more out of it than our family did. I’m so glad we came here.

After the Alamo we walked across the street to a Davy Crockett Interactive Outpost or something like that. It had lots of big, animated characters and music and all things geared toward little ones.


It was way over-priced and was definitely a one-time thing for our family, but we were still glad we went this once. The kids enjoyed it. At the end they had a shooting gallery (where you try to shoot little sensors to make the barrel spin or the hat fly off, etc.) and other stuff that was fun.

Along with that ticket came one for the Guinness’ Book of World Records Museum. A total waste. It’s nothing but pictures and plaques, for the most part. Who wants to go stand around and read all day while on vacation??? We were definitely not impressed and reminded of how unimpressed we were when James and I went in a different Guinness museum a few years back. Don’t know why we thought this one would be any different. Anyway, if you ever see one, skip it!

We walked down the street and had lunch at some little whole in the wall joint. It was great! Then we went to the Ripley’s Believe it or Not Musuem and the Louis Toussaud’s Wax Museum. Now that was fun! Ripley’s has some kind of icky stuff that we marched the kids past kind of quick like, but 90% or more of it was just really, really interesting. This is a picture of James...as the "Heaviest Man." (The guy actually weighed over 1,400 lbs.)

And I couldn't not put this picture on here...


The most incredible thing to me in the Ripley's museum was an exhibit of the smallest paining in the world. It was on the end of a pin! You know, like a needle with a little flat end used for pinning your pattern to your fabric when sewing. Well, at the flat end there was a painting of a little, tiny house—you could only see it through a magnifying glass. It was sooooo cool! There was lots of great stuff like that.

My favorite of all of the attractions (aside from the Alamo stuff, of course) was definitely the wax museum. It was just so cool! It wasn’t like your typical wax museum where everybody, in fact, looks like wax (!) and most of the figures look the same, just dressed differently. For the most part, these figures really looked like who they were supposed to look like! I can’t even remember who all they had in there, but it went from past and present movie stars to politicians to the life of Jesus to Texas heroes… And it was so cool. Check this out:


Isn't that an amazing likeness??? Sooooooo cool! --Whether you like Sylvester Stallone or not, you can't help but be wowed at how much it really did look like him.


~sigh~ Ah, yes. Indiana Jones. I used to be so in love with him back in my heathen days at age 14. ;-) I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have my picture taken with him. I think I was a little too excited about the whole thing and it must've bothered James a little bit because...

Ha!
Oh yeah, and the kids were fascinated by this great t-rex at the entrance. He was pretty realistic, I thought, and his eyes were almost spooky--kind of like he really was turning his head to look you over! I think Sam was a little nervous at the time of this picture. The thing had just turned it's head toward us and let out a mighty roar. :-)

After all of the museums and such we walked four or five blocks down to the river walk and took a guided boat tour of the whole thing. It was great!!! There are so many pretty and unusual things to see there. And our tour guide was a riot! I’m sure he gets lots of great tips. He even got one from James! ;-) The kids really enjoyed “the boat ride” and it was nice to just sit and relax for a little while. The river walk is a must-see and I’m glad we went.

Afterwards we walked several blocks back up to the mall where we had parked and sat down to enjoy something cold to drink before strolling the mall a little bit. They had one of those simulator things there (you know, it’s just a big box kind of thing that you sit in and it moves around while you watch a screen and it makes you feel like you’re really doing whatever you’re watching) and James watched the boys while Katie and I rode. It was wild!!! Katie was pretty nervous, but she held herself together pretty well with lots of comfort and encouragement being whispered in her ear. ;-) I got pretty nervous myself a time or two and just kept repeating to myself, “I’m in a box. This is just a box. I’m sitting in a big yellow box.” ;-) It was really a lot of fun.

After the mall we headed back to the motel, only to miss our turn and spend the next hour and a half trying to get back on track and where we belonged! It was okay though because all of the kids got in a much needed nap. By the time we finally got near our motel it was dinner time so we opted to eat instead of rest. We ate at a Mexican restaurant called Gringo’s (really!) and it was terrific and had great prices, too. Then we went to Target to get some shelves for James’ new booth. (Yes, he’s opening up a second one when we get home!) Then we headed back to the motel and got everybody in their PJ’s and in bed by about 8:00. We did our Bible reading, singing, and prayer (forgot the memory verses; hhmmm…) and declared bedtime. Of course, everybody was wide awake until after 10:00 due to that great car nap they took this afternoon! Oh well. We’re in no rush in the morning, so hopefully everybody will sleep in a little bit.

I think that’s enough for one night, don’t you?! I’m soooooooo ready for bed. I’m hearing lots of snores now and I’m wishing I were making some of them myself. I’m on my way to join the others. Until tomorrow…

~Bec~

This entry was posted on 9:40 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

Wow! What a day! I'm guessing that you all slept really well, right? ~grin~ Glad you are having such a great time.

Fantastic documentation of a FANTASTIC day!!! Wow. You're making memories that will stay with you as long as you live (as long as you keep the pictures and journal, that is). :-) I'm so glad you're having a good time.
Great pictures, too, BTW. Keep 'em comin'!

Wow I'm glad that you all are having a great time. Thanks for sharing, because it is giving us ideas for our trip. I heard that San Antonio is great. Do you remember how much the river walk cost also the Ripley's believe it or not?

Hi, Bec. I tried to call your hotel, but Mr. Hospitality has a "Do Not Disturb" on your phone. I know it was James because I know YOU would NEVER do that. Bless his little heart. It's before 9:00pm your time, but it's apparently too late for you to receive a call. I actually was going to call you to tell you I was going to bed! HA! I hope you had a good day today. I'm sure I'll hear about it sometime. Later.

My deepest, most sincere apologies to my #1 son-in-law who did NOT put the "Do Not Disturb" on the hotel phone. It turns out that there was a phone malfunction last night where the hotel phone would ring, but there would be nobody there. Finally, at midnight Becki phoned the desk for help and they put the "Do Not Disturb" on the phone. It just never got removed. I'm the BAD ONE. We should NEVER ASSUME guilt. I feel awful. Please, oh please, James, can you find it in your generous, loving and kind heart to forgive your humble, repentant mother-in-law?

This makes me totally long for when Sara is old enough to teach history to! History always seemed like the best kind of novel to me when I was in school.

I'm glad you guys are having such a great time! Whoever said that life ends when you have kids obviously never had any (or else they were just jealous and bitter and were trying to make themselves feel better)