Day One  

Posted by cokelady

Surprise!!! I didn't warn you that I would be blogging while on vacation. Probably because I didn't know it myself until a little while ago. James whipped out the laptop and I thought, "Hhmmmm..." ;-)

So the first day has been great. Nothing monumental really, just such a nice, relaxing, enjoyable day. We left Andrews at about 10:00 this morning and have just kind of moseyed (mosied?!) our way south through most of the day. We came to a nice little town named Brady and James came across this huge...place. I have no idea how to describe it. James thought it was an antique store (that's why we stopped), but there were no antiques to be found. It was a full block's length of store--it just kept going and going and going... They had furniture of all types, from old victorian looking stuff and fainting couches to rustic western and truly Texas stuff, along with any and every item of decor imaginable. It was sooooo neat--especially all of the western stuff. My Dad would love it! There was a huge spiral staircase in the center of the store and at the top was a suit of armor (only $3999.00! Ha!) and tons of grandfather clocks and old-time wash basins and rare and interesting things of all kinds. Even the kids enjoyed it! It was great.

When we left Brady things got even better. A few minutes after leaving town we began noticing small blue patches along the side of the road. Texas Bluebonnets!!! I was soooooooo excited! I can't help but think of my Grandmother. She always loved the bluebonnets and she and Granddaddy always planned their trips to San Antonio this time of the year when they'd be in full bloom. I made James pull over so I could take a picture of my very first bluebonnets. :-)


One of the next towns we went through had a true-blue junk store, the kind James loves. You know, the kind that has a real once-in-a-lifetime treasure hidden somewhere in it... if you're willing to dig through the tons and tons (literally) of JUNK to unearth it. I hate places like that, but James just loves the hunt. I decided to wait in the van with the kids (one was asleep) and then I noticed that surrounding this junk store were more bluebonnets! And not just blue ones either--there were burgundy and even some white looking ones. Neat, hu?

This is a close up of the burgundy ones. They're kind of neat but...

There's just nothing that can compare to the original and traditional blue Texas Bluebonnet.


Isn't it pretty??? I think I'm in love. ;-) I must admit that I've always kind of wondered why so many Texans are, well, die-hard Texans! You know, the kind that are sooooooo proud of Texas and would beat the tar out of you if you said anything against it. --My Grandmother was one! Until this trip, the only part of Texas I've ever seen is west Texas and the Interstate route that takes you through Dallas, and it's anything but spectacular. (It's a lot nicer to say that than, "Boy, it is DOG UGLY here!") But this part of Texas is truly beautiful. I've never been through terrain like this and James and I both LOVE it. It's so green and lush (without the humidity you get in the deep south or back east) and the trees are so... different! They twist and turn and spread out like none I've ever seen before and each one looks completely different from the next. There are lots of streams and rivers and wide, sprawling fields of daisies and bluebonnets and hills and rocks and bluffs... It's just so unique. Beautiful.

We stopped at a few little shops in Fredricksburg and really liked that town, too. Believe it or not, the kids have enjoyed our nice "slow" day today, too. Parts of it, anyway. ;-) It was just sooooooooooo nice to just go. To just get in the car and go where it took us with no time pressures, no schedule, only a 5 hour drive ahead of us but no need to hurry there, just take in all the sights along the way purely for the fun of it. It's just felt so nice and relaxing. God is good and we're so blessed!

Okay, I've gotta check on prices for the stuff we're hoping to do tomorrow. I'll try to write each night with an update, but I know better than to make any promises! So we'll just say, "Until next time..."

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 8:30 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

4 comments

YAY! You posted!!! What a GORGEOUS close-up shot of that bluebonnet! Very pretty pictures. Did you take any pictures inside the block-long store?
I look forward to tomorrow's account of the day's activities, accompanied with some great pictures of everybody having a good time.

No, I WISHED I had taken my camera into the store in Brady! Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be stopping there on our way home and I'll be sure to be equipped. ;-)

It's about 7:30 and we're hoping to leave soon to make it "on time" to our first appointment! So Long!!!

The pictures are gorgeous! I love the close-up too. Sounds like a wonderfully relaxing day...the kind that I will never have traveling with my husband because he is in a perpetual hurry to get to wherever we are going. *sigh* Oh well! Have fun for me. ~smile~

Anonymous  

Sounds absolutely wonderful. Enjoy it for me. I love being able to go and just take our time and stop at places like that. The block long store sounds like fun. The pictures are wonderful. I have a picture of one of our granddaughters sitting in a field of TEXAS bluebonnets. They are beautiful. Have a wonderful time.
~~Gaylene~~ ;-)