Day Three  

Posted by cokelady

Well, well, well. Day three. It's been a good one and a lot less taxing than yesterday! We had a nice relaxing morning, barely making it to the lobby in time to snatch a few donuts before they closed the free breakfast. On our way to the van it was already starting to sprinkle and we knew there was a good chance for heavy rain today. So what did we do? We headed straight to the zoo!

It was cloudy all day today and rained off and on, but never got too bad. San Antonio has a really good zoo and the coolest thing was this crazy crocodile. Kind of freaky looking, hu?! Almost pre-historic. Except we know there's no such thing as pre-historic. ;-)



The rain started to pick up after about an hour and we whipped out our umbrella for the kid-o's.


James and I saw a lot more of the zoo than the kids did, due to the rain. This is what they looked like through a great deal of it...


Kind of hard to see the animals like that, but I must admit that they weren't nearly as soggy as James and I were.

James decided we'd take the train ride on our way out of the zoo. It was only a couple of bucks, but it was such a great ride! It lasted about 20 minutes and took us all over the zoo and the golf course and through some wooded areas that were just beautiful. There was a nice, cool breeze and it was just such an enjoyable ride.
The kids loved it, too.


By the time we were done with the zoo and the train it was well past lunch time. James decided we'd head back downtown and go to the Tower of the Americas. It's the second tallest tower in the U.S., but I never stopped to ask anybody just how tall it is. This picture doesn't really do it justice, but here it is.


We knew there was a restaurant at the top of the tower, but we weren't prepared for just how swanky it was! Our ragged, rain soaked family trudged into an extremely fancy and way-to-expensive-for-our-blood restaurant. The prices were enough to make me lose my breath, but James was quick to remind me of where we were (the top of the tower) and how much it costs just to ride up to the observation deck. When you subtract that price (you don't have to pay it when you go to the restaurant) from our total bill it was the price of a normal meal. You have to look at it that way or you'll go batty. I must admit, however, that the food was delicious. And just look at Joe's spaghetti!


This is the view from the top of the tower. I was able to find the Alamo from up there (not this view) and see what it looks like from the back... and the top! Amazing. It's wild to be up there and realize that there is NOTHING under you. The restaurant and deck hang out over the tower column.

There were all kinds of great fountains down at the base of the tower and the kids had a great time splashing in them. Why not?--they were already wet from the rain!


After the tower we headed back to the motel and were able to get in a much needed nap for the whole family. It was great! We got up and went to Wal-Mart. I've been leaving that out of my previous posts, I think. Each night we've loaded up and gone to Target for one thing or another and James ends up buying "dessert" for us--a box of Whoppers or package of Jelly Belly's or something. Tonight we decided we needed to buy another umbrella or two for tomorrow (just in case!), so we headed to Wal-Mart. It was early yet, so we decided to pick up a game to play later on, too. And some more "dessert," of course. We went through the drive-through at Jack in the Box and brought our meal back to the motel and ate in the lobby. Gave our smelly kids their baths, then played our new game, "In a Pickle." It was great! It's about 11:00 now and everybody is laying in bed...with wide open eyes and big smiles. Not even close to being tired. That's how good our nap was earlier. :-)

Oh yeah, James wanted me to take a picture of this and post it--he thought it was great.

Pretty wild that you'd need a support group when you come out. And what a way to advertize it! Ha!

Okay, well, I'm going to shut the computer down and get the last light turned off in hopes that it will help the runts get tired enough to go to sleep. We've got a big day at Sea World tomorrow (weather permitting!) and the last thing we need are a bunch of tired, crabby kids interrupting my fun. Oh wait, we're doing this for them, right? ;-) I'm sooooo excited to see all of the animal shows there!!! I'm just hoping the kids get half as much out of it as I will.

Guess that's it for tonight! So long!!!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 9:05 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

5 comments

The pictures are so awesome and I have to admit, that was a great picture that Brother James had you take...too funny! Was Joe totally in awe of his spaghetti? Was that a waffle cone in the middle of it? Was Sam trying to swipe Katie's plate while she was engrossed in Joe's spaghetti or did it just appear that way? ~smile~ Okay...enough questions for tonight. Have a blast tomorrow!

Yeah, Joe was pretty wowed with his dinner. It was actually a breadstick sticking out of it, it's just turned the other way so you can't tell. (It was sooooo good!) And we split the two meals between the three kids, so yes, I'm sure Sam was reaching for his fair share!

It has been raining hard and thundering a lot throughout the wee hours of the morning. Sounds like a great day for Sea World, right?! It's supposed to continue throughout most of the day. And then there's the dream I had last night. I dreamed that we went to see the dolphins and feed them and there was one that was really old and crabby. He GROWLED at me and tried to bite me! Ha! Maybe Sea World isn't such a good idea after all! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Great pictures, as always! That is the weirdest crocodile I've ever seen. What's the story with that?
There is NO WAY you'd get me up in that tower! Dad wanted to do it when we were there, but I refused. I wouldn't have cared if HE went, but there's no way I could bring myself to do it. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about YOU GUYS being up there! *shivers*
Even the train has the Texas star on it. San Antonio is a really neat city; talk about Texas patriotism!!! Like you said, no wonder Grandmother loved it so much!

The boys all thought the crocodile was very cool. Nathan told me the name before he even saw the picture.

I was telling the kids this morning about the things you've been doing and seeing (and showed them the pictures). The boys were very excited about the Alamo. We'll have to take them some day!

Thanks for all the great daily posts. Sounds like you guys are having a GREAT time! Oh--I'm VERY impressed with your pictures. The ones of the bluebonnets are especially neat!

Hope you guys got to make it to Sea World today!

That spaghetti looked really good. Mmmmm.....

I've been up the tower with Jacob and Matthew when he was posted in TX. It was alot of fun, we didn't eat there though. Kinda wished we had now. :)

I loved those fountains. Even though we weren't kids we still had fun in them. :P