It's Time  

Posted by cokelady

I've been putting this off for a whole week now--the blogging thing. I just haven't been inspired to write anything. For starters, I know that nothing I could write will ever compare to that great video I posted last time and I kind of hate for the viewings to stop. I wish there was some way to set up a counter on that thing. I wonder how many times it's been watched now and by how many different people... Our family watched it 8 or 10 times a day for the first few days it was there. It was such a great way to start the day. "Do it again, Mom! Can we watch it again??? That's sooooooo funny!!!"

The other reason I haven't blogged is the "mood" thing. I just haven't been in it. Actually, I'm still not. The only reason I'm blogging right now is because we've got a bake sale coming up on Friday and I realize that if I don't do it now it'll be a few more days until I get to it and I don't want to have to start receiving all of those "Where are you, you slacker!" comments. So this is what you'd call preventative blogging. (Kind of like eating so that you won't get hungry instead of waiting until you're there already.)

Let's see, what news is there... We will soon be embarking on a family trip to San Antonio!!! I'm sooooooo excited! I've wanted to go see the Alamo all my life. I've always regretted that I never took a trip there with Grandmother and Granddad when I had the chance. I've been trying to get the kids all geared up for it and they seem real excited, too. We went to the library today and checked out lots of books about it and I've been reading to them and talking to them about it for the past few days. Joe was loving the whole thing until he found out that the Mexicans won the battle. "You mean they lost?! The good guys lost?!?!?" Not easy for me to accept either, but at least I can follow it up with, "Yeah, but those few Texans took out a whole slew of the bad guys and because they fought so long and hard Sam Houston was able to come along a few weeks later and beat the Mexicans and win independance for Texas!" And he wasn't happy at all when he found out Davy Crockett got killed there. I'm just releaved that Joe hasn't seemed to make any connection between the "bad Mexicans" at the Alamo and our precious Spanish people in the Church! Ha! Then I'd have to try to explain why some Mexican people are so wonderful and we love them sooooooo much, but that Santa Anna was just a really bad dude and how ruthless he was and how he didn't love God... Reality has got to be so confusing for a kid. Anyway (I got a little side-tracked!), we'll be leaving for San Antonio on Tuesday and will spend a few days taking in the sights (the Alamo, the River Walk, the zoo--maybe even the dolphins and killer whales!), then we'll be home Saturday. That's the plan, anyway! It's great 'cuz we'll be able to go see Adam Clifton and the Brooks while we're there. They don't know it yet (!), but I sure am looking forward to it! (Keep praying for Adam, please! And... does anybody know the latest???)

The most exciting event of the day around here is that Joe shot his cap gun!!! Once. 'Cuz Mom made him. He started asking about the caps this afternoon, so I put a roll in his gun for him. Then he backed out and wouldn't touch the thing. I asked if he wanted me to fire it a few times so he could get used to it. He said that sounded good. I asked him to tell me when he was ready. He quickly ran into the other room, covered his ears, peeked around the corner and said, "I'm ready!" ~sigh~ (He wouldn't have been much help at the Alamo!!! Ha!) I fired it a few times, then made him come into the room with me. I told him that I wanted him to fire it just one time--just once--then I'd let him leave. He came and took the gun, but then got scared and threw the thing down and ran out of the room crying. ~big sigh~ I ordered him back into the room and told him that he was going to shoot that gun one time and (this is so pitiful) that I would hold him while he did it if he needed me to. Realizing I was going to make him go through with it he sighed heavily, then put his hands over his eyes and sent up a quick but earnest prayer. "Dear Jesus, please help me to shoot that gun and keep me safe and don't let me get hurt and..." I don't remember everything he prayed, but I know there was more. He came over, crawled in my lap, picked up the gun and fired away. Handled it great. He then hopped down, left the room and hollered over his shoulder that I could take the caps out now and to let him know when they were gone and he could come back! Ha! That kid!!! I took the caps out and showed them to him. "Joe, it's paper. That's all it is--a strip of paper!!! It's got these little dots of gunpowder on it, but that's it--there's no way it could possibly hurt you!" After a while he brought me his gun and a long, narrow strip of paper that he had cut, colored red and drawn little circles on--fake caps--and asked me to put them in his gun. I chuckled, then loaded the gun. He was scared of it and wouldn't take it! Ha! Ha! Ha! I guess if the other strip was nothin' but paper and it went off, then why couldn't his homemade caps go off, too?! Ha! Crazy kid!

Well, I've got 12 little loaves of poppyseed bread (11 actually--I noticed one loaf is half eaten already) that need to be wrapped up and packaged for the bake sale, along with two pans of Reese's squares--assuming they turned out okay and aren't too mushy. Tomorrow Tammy will come over and we'll have our big baking day. I'll be making tons of chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, Rice Krispy treats, and maybe some lemon bars. I have no idea what Tammy is making. Last I heard, she had no idea either! Aunt Sue will provide all the fudge, as it's about the only thing she can make (best in the world!) and it's one thing that we absolutely cannot make! It works out well. :-) Anyway, there's some more work to do before calling it a night, so I'd best get back to it. I'll try to post something on Friday or Saturday and at least let you know how the sale went. Until then...

~Rebekah~

This entry was posted on 9:21 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

Becki

I always enjoy reading your blog. That is so funny about the cap gun. Good luck with your bake sale. Also have fun on your trip. I think we are going to take a family vacation in June we are also going to Texas, but I don't what we are going to actually do yet.

YAY for Joe!!! And he isn't even 14 years old yet! *grinning*
I know you guys are gonna have fun today with your baking and all the work that goes into it, then the clean-up afterwards. You're making memories. :-)
Wish I could go with you to San Antonio. I know you're going to have a really great time. You'll think of Grandmother and Granddad a lot. We did, when we went. They loved going there in the Spring. Be sure to take lots of pictures.
It's a good thing you finally posted. You were about to receive a nasty comment!

Cap guns *sigh*. I can just remember the annoyance I proved to be with such. The noise, the smell, I loved those things.

Poor Joe! He has such a meany for a mom. ~hee hee~ Sorry, I can't quit laughing long enough to post a comment worth reading.

Anonymous  

Sis. Rebekah, I copied this from an e-mail message Sis. Marcia sent to us this morning. Thought you might like to know the news.
That Joe, what a mess he is. Do Joe and Sam like their spurs and chaps still? You would think he would like to dress up and have his caps raring to go. Enjoy your trip and have a great time. ~~Sis. Gaylene~~

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:32 PM
Just a quick note to let you all know how things are here. Adam still has his chest tube in . It still is on and they are hoping to cap it tomorrow and try and see if his lung will start working and inflate once again, so far it hasn't but they are hopeful for tomorrow. If Adams lung doesn't start healing they will do a process were they introduce a chemical that hardens his lung so that it will heal in the areas it needs to heal. It is a very painful procedure and they are really hoping they won't have to do that if for some reason that doesn't work than surgery would then be the next alternative we are being told. They again today started giving him morphine for the pain but it is in smaller doses and they just inject it in the site where the IV goes. His blood sugars are still not normal but are staying in the lower 200's right now. Please continue to pray as I know you all are.

I do have some good news. Adam and Jennifer had a little boy 6lbs 11oz 19 1/4 inches today at 2:58 central time. I was able to be in the delivery and it was wonderful to see my first grandson born and able to be there since Adam was not able. I took video and pictures and ran next store to Adam's hospital and showed him his new son. Adam named him Joshua Adam-Dale Clifton. Big name for such a little guy. He is perfect and Jennifer is doing great. Thank you all so much for all you are doing for us and our family. Your prayers have kept us. God bless you. Sister Marcia Brooks and family

Hope that you had a good day baking and selling.

That was too funny about Joe and his homemade paper strips. :D