Does Anyone Else Have Difficulty With Titles?  

Posted by cokelady

Well, well, well. Where to start? The bake sale was, well... a lot of work! I don't know why, but I took this one sooooo much harder than the others! It just seemed so exhausting. It's always a lot of work, but on the day of the actual sale it's a breeze. This time even the sale day felt like hard work! This was the slowest sale we've ever had and in the beginning we were pretty concerned about how little we were selling--and how much food we would have left over! After about two ours Tammy and I decided: "We need a kid!" So I hopped in the van and went to Aunt Sue's store (she was babysitting for me) and picked up Joe, our best salesman. Just having him there helped a little bit, but things were still a little slow. We had TONS of peanut butter fudge and it wasn't moving at all, so I cut some up into little cubes and gave the plate to Joe. He stood in front of the table asking, "Would you like to try some fudge?" in his best Texas drawl. That helped, but still wasn't enough. I wasn't planning on having him at the bake sale so I hadn't dressed him "cute." So I ran home and got his cowboy duds! We shoved him under the bake sale table, stripped him down and changed him into all his gear: hat, boots, spurs (forgot the chaps), holster and gun. Every tactic we tried brought a little more success, it just felt like really slow going. We didn't think we'd done all that good and sales we're really slow at about 2:00 so we decided to take the sale on the road. We headed down to the City Administration Building and made the rounds in there. They bought some and sent us over to the police department, who sent us to the courthouse, who sent us to the annex building... We went to the library (I know most of the folks who work there) and the newspaper office (were Brother Sam works) and we had lots of good sales in those two places. We probably ended up with an additional $50 with the traveling bake sale. ;-) It was a beautiful day and felt good to get some exercise treking around down town. Our grand total was $328.57 and we were thrilled! In the beginning of the day we were thinking we'd be lucky to hit $200. God blessed and it was all good. Exhausting, but good.

That was Friday. Then yesterday came along. We're leaving for San Antonio this coming Tuesday so I got to thinking about what I'd be packing. That meant pulling all of my summer clothes out of the back of Katie's closet all of my sweaters and turtlenecks out of my closet and switching them. I was looking at my summer shirts and it suddenly occurred to me... SOCKS. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but... I have so many fun socks now that they won't all fit into my drawer (not easily, anyway!), so I pulled all of my summer socks (the ones with flowers and butterflies and such) out of the drawer in the fall to make room for the socks with autumn leaves and Christmas stuff. (Most girls have too many shoes; I couldn't care less about shoes, but can't pass up a pair of great socks!) ANYWAY, I couldn't find my summer socks. I'm going on a trip in three days, I have my summer clothes out, but no socks to wear with them! Aaauuuuuggggghhhhhhhhh! (Unless you're a sock enthusiast you can't possibly understand the frustration.) So I tore up everything in my bedroom trying to find them. I finally stumbled across them in Katie's closet (next to where the summer shirts had been, of course), but not before I had totally cleaned out and rearranged everything under my bed, in my pajama drawer, the top and bottom of my closet... So I got some extra cleaning done that I hadn't counted on! That felt good. Almost as good as finding my socks. ;-)

Along with the sock search and the cleaning and sorting it necessitated, I also moved everything out of the kitchen and did the big, ugly scrub job on the kitchen floor. It really needed it. I actually only got half of the floor done before I gave out. I ended up moving into the den and watching Bonanza while I ironed the mountain of laundry that I'd been doing all day. Finally finished that up and made it to bed at about 1:30am. This morning I got up and worked another hour or two on the other half of the kitchen floor and finally got it finished in time to get a shower and have everybody ready for Church. We had a good service, came home, ate left-overs, then I cleaned out the fridge and washed up all the dishes before dozing for a few minutes--I desperately needed a nap!!! It always feels sooooooo good when you've been working really hard and feel like you've earned it, you know?!

It started raining tonight, so James had me call Sam and Tammy and ask if they wanted to meet us at Tortas y Mas for dinner. Last year sometime we had a tornado warning in effect and we all went down there to eat. You have to understand: Tortas y Mas is a little itty-bitty building with no indoor seating at all, just two picnic tables out front on a little covered porch. Not exactly where the weatherman would recommend to take cover in the event of a tornado! Anyway, James thought of it tonight and wanted to do it again "for old time's sake" or something. We didn't last too long down there though 'cuz it was COLD once we started getting a little wet! So we brought the party back here to our house and played our Wheel of Fortune video game and then watched Moe and the Big Exit while playing Rummy. What a great night!
BUT... the thunder is picking up again and I need to get the computer shut down for the night. Have a great one--I'll try to post something tomorrow night since we'll be leaving Tuesday. I'M SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!

G'night!
~Becki~

This entry was posted on 9:42 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

At least you found them before your trip- my brown shoe that I bought for BTI last year went miss for 3 months

Jessa is crazy about crazy socks to but she never wears a pair of them- she always mixes them up so one sock is different from the other- I dont get that...

and I do believe the hardest part of blogging is coming up with the title for each post lol

I can usually come up with a title, but it isn't showing up right now, so I haven't bothered, it is the rest of the post that I have trouble with.

I am so happy for you that you have found your missing socks. I must admit though, I don't get the whole crazy-about-socks thing, but my daughter-in-law-to-be is crazy about funky socks too, so...

Have a wonderful trip visiting the Alamo and everything else you get to do. I hope you get lots of pictures because we would all love to see what you got to do while there.

Anonymous  

Hey,
I remember when you had all of us work on your floor. Good times.
Lucky! Bonanza doesn't come on here any more. Oh well. I'm still looking forward to that Gunsmoke marathon.

Jake

Oh, Jake! So good to hear from you!!! I can't tell you how desperately I missed all of your help with the kitchen floor... Where are you when I really need you?!

I'm more than willing to stop life and have that Gunsmoke marathon any time you say the word. Just let me know. ;-) By the way, Bonanza doesn't come on around here either (not without cable, anyway!)--I was watching a $1 DVD James picked up a few weeks ago.

And for all of your poor souls who don't "get" the sock thing, you just don't know what you're missing out on! It just makes you feel HAPPY to put on fun socks--give it a try sometime, you'll see! (Right, Haley?! Ha!)

I intend to take LOTS of pictures. I'm sooooooo excited about this trip!!! And I really need to be preparing for it right now, not bloggins. So... ADIOS!

Try to overlook all of those typo's! Ha! That's what I get for not checking before clicking!!!

The most fun socks that I own have Winnie the Pooh on them. The thing is...I just don't typically wear socks with my skirts which may explain why I don't get the sock thing. ~hee hee~ Oh well! Have a great trip!

You poor people who don't get the sock thing! Becki's right...it just makes you feel happy. Like right now my socks are blue and white striped with a green frog on them. Tell me, how can you NOT be happy when you see that cute froggy?!?!

Anyway, glad you found your summer socks, Bec. It still blows my mind that you have that MANY socks. Guess my stash isn't as impressive as yours!

Have a great time in San Antonio! Looking forward to seeing lots of pictures...the boys will be so jealous that you got to see the Alamo.