Cowboyin' It!  

Posted by cokelady

Yesterday started out as an ordinary day: breakfast, clean bedrooms, school. James had the 12-8:00pm shift at Mardel, so when he left at about 11:00 I loaded the kids up and drove over to Big Spring (60 miles) to go to an auction house to look for some chairs to go with their new school desks. Found just what we were looking for ($5 apiece), loaded them up, then drove around Big Spring a little bit just to see what's there. Nice little place, really. We ate at Wendy's--a rare treat (the one in Midland is gross and we never go there), then headed home.

We got here and I immediately set to work on their desks. The chairs were just slightly too tall for them to be used at the desks at their present height, so I extended the legs on the desks to make them just an inch or two taller. This, of course, means that each freshly painted desk leg now has an unpainted 1 or 2" ring! No matter. I need to paint the chairs now anyway, so I'll just slop some on the unfinished spots on the desks while I'm at it.

Tammy came over at about 5:00 and told me to load up the kids--we're going to the new arena! They've just completed construction on a gigantic arena here in Andrews to be used for rodeo events and all sorts of other things and yesterday was their opening day. The Cowboy Church (for real--there are tons of them out here) provided a chuckwagon dinner (bar-b-que brisket sandwhiches, cole slaw, beans and sweet tea) and they did team roping -- all for free. It was just local folks competing last night, but it was still a lot of fun to watch. There was even a kid--maybe 12 years old or so--that was the "hindermost" part of a team. ;-) (For those who know nothing about team roping: they release a calf and two cowboys on horses chase him down, the first cowboy ropes the calf's neck or around his horns, then the second cowboy ropes the calf's hind feet.) The kids were sooooooooo excited! Theyv'e never seen anything like this before and they thought it was terrific.

The only bad part about all of it is that Joe is still on his cowboy-stuff ban (it ends this next Wednesday) and so he wasn't able to dress up in all his duds like Katie and Sam did. It was really hard to follow through on that one and I almost cracked and let him wear them "just this one night," but James got me straightened out and we stuck to the rules. It was pretty hard on him (and me too!), but maybe it will get through to him all the more to watch his attitude an avoid future trouble because you just never know when you're going to be able to go see cowboys around here. Right??? ~sigh~ I sure hope so! Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the kids who were able to dress for the occasion...


Enjoying dinner...




The kids were thrilled to meet Rio, up close!


Rio was sweet, but rather nervous as you can see! His ears were layed straight back like that in all of the pictures! Ha! -- Notice the spurs and chaps Sam is sporting, compliments of Sister Clarkson. ;-)

It was a lot of fun and a great environment (it's smoke and alcohol free) and there were tons of little cowboys and cowgirls there! My kids were loving it!!!

I'm going to try to get motivated today to paint the new chairs for the kids. I'm running low on energy for some reason and would really rather loaf. We'll see what happens. The kids are out back playing right now. The only thing we've really accomplished today was devotions and even that wasn't a smashing success. Joe was cutting up and I had to get on to him. (So much for the cowboy ban helping his attitude! Ha!) After we were all done, he showed me the picture he'd been drawing. This time it was a monster with big, gnarly teeth thinking about me being in jail. For real--he'd drawn the thought cloud with little dots linking it to the monster's head, and in the thought cloud was a stick figure with long hair, frowning behind bars. That kid. Katie and Sam were released to go play and Joe had to sit and draw another picture (a nice one) before leaving, but somehow I don't think I'm winning with this kid! I notice that nobody out there had any suggestions on how to deal with the traps either. (Thanks a lot, you guys!) You know--after he gets in trouble for something he'll go around the house with that evil cackle of his, setting his "traps" right by my chair, or right in front of me while I'm walking, or wherever he thinks I might go next. Emilee, what would you do??? Or how 'bout some of you who have successfully raised your kids already?! Isn't there anybody out there who can help me???

Losing to a 5 year old,
~Becki~
Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on 9:33 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

10 comments

Sorry! My guys never set any traps for me or drew pictures of me frowning in jail. Just be consistent in what you are doing...you will eventually get through that thick head or attitude, whichever it may be.

Oh a happier note...the pictures are great. Katie looks right at home atop a horse...sort of like her Momma in her younger days. Sam appeared to really enjoy his dinner. As for Joe not getting to dress up...I would have been tempted to let him too, but I always had my Mom's voice whispering in my ear..."If you give in...he'll never believe you are telling him the truth in the future." So...that kept me from caving. Good luck! I'll be praying for ya.

I'm CRACKING UP! Really! I'm baffled on the Joe situation. I successfully raised my children to be godly, but not because of anything I did--only by God's GRACE! There were times I was stumped and just didn't know how to handle the situation and your Dad didn't have any ideas later. That's when we got serious with prayer for the situation. God's the only One who REALLY knows what to do. It's hilarious to think about and really funny . . . but only because he's 5 years old. The rebellion that's hiding underneath this "funny" behavior will NOT be cute if it's allowed to remain and is manifested in other ways when he's 15. Realize the seriousness of this hysterical behavior, then take it to prayer for deliverance. It may be funny and cute now, but I know you're concerned about the outcome of not conquering it. It's not funny and cute enough to allow it to stay. A lot of wild animals are really cute and cuddly when they're babies, but they grow up to be dangerous and sometimes deadly in years to come. So, this really IS a serious matter. Meanwhile, I'm just dying laughing at the creativity of his rebellion! I can just hear the villianous "heh, heh, heh!" he mutters as he's going about performing his dastardly deeds. *shaking head* Too funny! I WILL be praying for you, though. Really, I will!

BTW, GREAT pictures! Did Joe get to "ride" the horse?

Sorry Bec, I don't have any great words of wisdom regarding Joe. Mom and Sister Tammi are right...be consistent and pray harder. That's what we do when we feel like things are out of control. And then when things are finally better, we look back and realize it wasn't any THING that we did, it was God who did it.
The pictures are great...Katie does look terrific on that horse. How fun!!

Anonymous  

I could be totally off base here... But ... It sounds like maybe Joe might need some attention. There really is such a thing as middle child syndrom. Katie is the oldest and a girl... She gets lots of attention, then there's Sam, he's the baby and just so stinking cute... Where does Joe fit in? Maybe he needs some alone time with Mom and Mom can let him know how special he is to the family and how God made him special and you are so blessed that God placed him in your family. Maybe have special prayers with him... It's just a thought...

Now that thar's some wurds of wisdom! Good job, Ger! That's why God gave you 6 kids. ;-)

Thanks for all the advice--you're all right. Consistency, prayer and more prayer, and some good "you're a valuable part of this family" one-on-one time with Joe. It all sounds great to me! It feels good to some fresh insight and I'm trusting that it will help me and Joe, both! :-)

Oh, five years old! That's the problem. I remember that rebellious little age quite well. I just had to stay on my knees for a year. At 4 /12 he just refused pray...refused to say Thank you and please...refused to tell anyone, "I Love you"...

Spanking didn't seem to work at all, but made it worse. I took away priveledges and then I tracked down some of the changes in his life (new house, started kindergarten AND children's church teacher not teaching but playing every Sunday:( and made some changes...but finally I just had to pray hard the entire year!

Finally that little internal switch clicked back on and I had my sweet boy back and by 5 1/2 he got saved.

At the time I thought 5 years old was going to kill me! :)

Watch out...the next age is 8...then 12...then 18..... :)

Ha!

Oh yeah, my kids would set traps for me just for the fun of it, 'cause they loved to play "Spy" and thot it was funny.

Little rubber spiders, snakes in the cubbards or string tied up in funny places. I made a big deal and pretended to be "scared" or "caught". They would just squeal with laughter. (the little heathens!)

*cough*....that would be a steer, not calf :D They rope a steer in team roping. Man...I'd loved to have gone!!! Someday, when I get my horse I am hoping to start a Christian rodeo association. Where no alcohol, or tobacco is allowed and it is on SATURDAYs not sundays. Wouldnt that be coooooool! I think it would. The middle child thing is so true. One reason, unless God wills I don't want three children. I want more or less. I didnt see it as a total truth until I saw my nephew. All boys, and he's the middle.He needs attention sometimes and you can tell when he's not getting it because he acts "tacky" aka ugly. Love and prayers....