Service, Shopping and Superb Scares  

Posted by cokelady

Well, we made it through the weekend, plus a day. We had a good service on Sunday--really good Spirit throughout--then loaded up and drove the hour over to Hobbs, New Mexico to do some much needed shopping. We were finally able to get some firewood (they were sold out the last two times we checked), so now we're really and truly set for the perfect Christmas. ;-) Nothing better than sitting in the den next to a nice cozy fire on Christmas Eve with your family, nibbling on fresh gingerbread men and watching It's a Wonderful Life.

We bought TONS of stuff for the bake sale this Friday. I'm so looking forward to it! And I'm already looking forward to it being over with, too!!! Then I'll have two or three days to try to do "everything else" before Mom gets here Monday night. I feel like I'm already running on adrenalin. And what am I doing with this extra surge of energy? Blogging, of course!!! Smart. Real smart.

Before I go into my next kid story I have to ask... do anybody else's kids ask if they can play such-and-such? Different characters or professions, I mean. For example, I hear at least a dozen times a day, "Hey, Mom, can I be the Marshall?" What this really means is, "Hey, Mom, can I have dibs on this before somebody else wants to be the same thing?" Sam is the worst. The other day he came to me and said, "Hey, Mom, can I be da a-domino snow monster of a noiff?" (For those who may not be Rudolph fans: the abominable snow monster of the north.) I said sure. He raised his arms above his head and started chasing his siblings, making a deep, throaty, rumbling growl--impressive for any 3 year old. Katie & Joe must've thought so, too because they took off running, screaming like a couple of banshies. Before too long Joe was the only one screaming because Katie had become the "adominal's wife" and was helping growl. Katie's always got to be the wife, you know. She seems to be sinking to new levels, though, with the characters she's deciding to wed.

And speaking of screaming children, I got Joe sooooooo good last night. Often times after we've done devotions and such, I'll say, "You'd better run!" and the kids will all scatter, trying to make it safely into their beds before I can catch them. Well, I did that to Joe last night, but he ran the wrong way. Rather than chasing him, I just slipped behind a doorway and waited for him to come back. When he rounded the corner I jumped out and did my best "a-domino" impersonation. It was the classic cartoon scare--he leapt straight up and seemed to stay suspended for the longest time, with eyes bulging and feet scrambling beneath him in the air. Even when he finally touched ground his little body was still trying to figure out how to do whatever his little brain was trying to tell it to. His legs took off toward the bedroom, and his torso followed a second or two later. All of this while emitting a shrill girl-worthy scream at ear-piercing volume. And believe it or not, Mosey Joe actually made it into bed before I could catch him. I was laughing sooooooo hard. I was just as incapable of running as he was. Oh, to have a video camera set up and ready to go at moments like that.

Okay, I've got to put my efforts elsewhere. Scaring small children and taking the time to tell all of my cyber friends about it isn't getting me any closer to ready for any of the many things that are coming up in the next week or two. So I'm outta here!

~The A-Domino Mom~
(Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

This entry was posted on 9:47 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

5 comments

LOL, LOL, LOL, ROTFL (rolling on the floor laughing) That was great! Thanks for sharing.

Too funny! I can see it all happening in my mind.

Never a dull moment at the Horne household, sounds like. That's great. tee hee.

Anonymous  

Your kids are great Becki. I can't wait 'till I see you guy's again.

your stories always make me laugh. your a great writer. Your kids sound like a hoot!