I'm Back... Briefly!  

Posted by cokelady

Seems like Blogland has been even more ghost-townish than before. That's great! It means everybody has been having a wonderful time with friends and family and enjoying the holdays to the fullest instead of staring with that zombie-like look in their eyes at a computer screen. (I only had to forcably remove my mother from the computer chair one time while she was here. "You're not going to sit there in front of that screen when you're supposed to be spending time with me!" I had to confiscate the mouse, but she didn't put up too much of a fight.)

We had such a great Christmas!!! I am soooooooo glad Mom and Dad were able to be here with us--I just can't even put it into words. God knew. I think we all needed it and it was just so wonderful. Mom was here for 9 or 10 days -- which is pushing the limit, you know. ;-) Dad was here for 5 or 6. We all had plenty of time to enjoy each other, but not enough time to get tired of living together. Perfect!

Mom and I did a whole lot of cooking and baking--she, more than I. I can't even remember the last time I felt hungry. It's my general rule to not eat unless I feel hungry. Ha. That rule was thrown out the window a few weeks ago and my skirts are reminding me of it daily. But hey, that's the true meaning of Christmas, right?! Uncontrolled self-indulgence and gluttony, right?! (Does God have to forgive you for the bad things that you PLAN on doing, then repenting for later?!) We made meatloaf, corn chowder, chicken parmesan, pork chops, clam chowder... and that's aside from the HUGE Christmas dinner and the couple of times we ate out! And as for sweets, I'm sure there are way too many to count. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, pinwheel cookies, peanut butter fudge, Christmas cookies, gingerbread men, pumpkin pudding, frozen fruit cups and who knows what all else. The remainders are still covering the side table in the kitchen. It's pert near impossible to pull yourself out of the grips of gluttony in a place like this. One of these days I'm going to do away with all of the temptation. I'll try to throw some things out, but that's always so hard to do. So I'll probably have one last Gorge the Gluttons day and we'll eat all we can before tossing the rest! Ha! Believe it or not, our holiday wasn't primarily about food. It's just the first thing that got listed here. ;-)

The kids were sooooooo happy to have Grandma and Granddaddy here. Sammy has asked at least a dozen times, "Gamma and Gandaddy comin' back, Mama? Dey come back?" Mom had tea parties with Katie (although she's a complete failure with the Lady Lessons--the kid didn't learn a thing!) and helped her with some of the sewing projects she got for Christmas. Granddaddy helped Joe shoot his new bow in the backyard (a REAL bow and REAL arrows, believe it or not) and had plenty of shoot-outs with both boys over the course of the week. There was lots of wrestling and laughing and singing and just general craziness going on in the house, along with a few spankin's--but we worked hard to not let Granddaddy know about them. As much as he approved of that method while raising his own children, he gets good and fiesty when it concerns the grandkids! We used to try to reason with him but finally came to the conclusion that it's just no use. Anyway... it was a blast!

Strange. Such a wonderful time and so many great things happened... and I can't recall any of them specifically. (So far I've covered food and whip'ins. Hhmmm...) Mom and I thoroughly enjoyed doing the things that we never get to do together anymore. We watched a few movies, usually while putting a puzzle together in front of a cozy fire, sipping hot cider. What could be better than that?! (The only thing would be if we were in a log cabin in the mountains somewhere, surrounded by lots of snow! But I'm not complaining!!!) We played a few games here and there. And Mom did some sewing for Katie. Dad took care of a couple little odd jobs around the house for me, too. What great parents. I'll have to come and post some pictures later. I took a whole bunch of them, but haven't sorted through them yet. I'll get the one picture we took of all of us on Christmas Eve up if I can. I'll do my best to get back into the blogging thing in the next week or so and put some more pictures up.

Before I go, I have to tell you about my marvelous day! But first, let me back up... Mom and Dad left early yesterday morning and my plan was to hit it hard cleaning the house and getting back to normal life. (Gotta get real busy doing stuff like that or you get the after-Christmas-everybody-is-gone-now-and-it's-all-over blues, you know!) Well, I ended up making a necessary (however unscheduled) trip to Midland which ate up most of the day. Got home in time to prepare a nice dinner (fried chicken--more food!) before James got home. So the plan shifted. Today I would get up early and start to work! Well, I got up early... But it was cold and rainy (we've had thunderstorms off and on for the past two weeks. Freaky, hu?! It's December!!!) and just one of those really super blah kind of days. I love days like that! I went out and got some wood and started a fire, then spent all day curled up in the chair reading a novel!!! Can you believe it?! I actually started the book last night (James got me a series of four books for Christmas and I read a few chapters before bed), so I finished it off today in time to get the house cleaned up a bit and have a hot dinner on the table when he got home tonight. *long, contented sigh* This is what dreary days are all about! The kids were great, too. I let them watch a couple of Christmas shows before they get packed away, and they just played and did some reading of their own througout the day. Three more days like this and I could polish off the whole series! Ha! Like that'll happen! I was trying to remember the last time I took a day off to just loaf around and read. I think it was last year--when James got me a series of three novels. Ah, yes. 'Tis a wonderful thing... when it happens so rarely!

Okay, I'm outta here! Hope everybody else had a fantastic Christmas!!! If not before, I'll see you in the New Year!

~Bec~
For those of you crafy people, scroll down--there's more!

This entry was posted on 7:14 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

How do you get your blog to look so cool all the time? It's no fair that so much creativity is in one family! :) Feel free to pass some of your knowledge this way.

Ha! Surely you jest! I have absolutely nothing to do with my blog looking great. Except, maybe, that I'm a really good mooch. ;-) Jenna Nowling is my personal blog associate and she works all the magic for me. All I do is write and say, "Please, oh please, oh please?!" Works like a charm! (Hhmmm... magic and charms... maybe I'd better reconsider all of this!)

It sure is good to have you back, even if it is briefly. I love your posts. I havn't been to the library since Anna was born so this is where I come to find good books.