Sunday, Monday & Snakes  

Posted by cokelady

Well, well, well. It's been a good few days around here. We had good church on Sunday, although our numbers were way down for some reason. I know some of the regulars weren't feeling well and others were out of town. Still, God blessed. It was just my three kids in Sunday School, but we had a good one! We finished up learning about the last day of Creation and we made Creation Cubes, each side of the cube representing one day. Theoretically (ha!), the kids are supposed to be able to roll the cube then tell you what day that stuff was created on. It was fun, even if they do get the days all screwed up! Ha!

Day 1: Light
Day 2: Sky & Water
Day 3: Land & Plants
Day 4: Sun, Moon & Stars
Day 5: Birds & Fish
Day 6: Land Animals & People

We went to the Olive Garden for lunch after church so we could use a gift certificate we had. :-) Yum! Everything was sooooo good and we had a really terrific waiter--who also happened to be the only guy there without strange piercings and tattoos. That greatly enhances the dining experience, you know? It's a strange world we live in. Even those working at nice restaurants are... well, you've seen 'em!

After church on Sunday night I stayed up until 1:00 working on getting our Christmas letter all ready to mail. Yes, you heard right--Christmas letter. I know it's June. What can I say? I'm a little late. We moved out of our Texas house in December and I just never had a chance to get to it until now! Most folks would say to just skip it and wait until next year... but what if we get kicked off of everybody's Christmas card list because we didn't send them a card last year?! I dearly love Christmas cards. :-) Besides, James wanted to make sure everybody has our new address and phone number. It took a few hours, but it was actually kind of fun to do it in June. I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but James even put on some Christmas music for me while I was working on it... and I didn't tell him to shut it off! As WRONG as it is to listen to Christmas music in June, I was amazed at how it instantly made me feel sort of jolly! I was in for a long night and I knew it would help--and it's something that I missed out on during the real Christmas season last year, so I figured it was okay to enjoy it now. It was so great!!!

Yesterday I started in on laundry again and scrubbed the bathroom for Mom & Dad and did other miscellaneous jobs around the house. I also refinished the dining room table. I had stained it a few days before so I put 3 coats of polyurethane on it yesterday and one last coat this morning. Last night I stayed up until 1:00 (that's two nights in a row--bad habit to start!) and got caught up on all of the ironing.

Today I found out that Mom & Dad aren't coming tomorrow. They're coming Thursday. Who knew?! We'd had in our minds it was Wednesday all along. Weird. It's a bittersweet thing to find out that they'll be a day later than we expected. It will give me another day to work on the house--and it desperately needs it! But it also means we have one day less with them. The kids took the news pretty hard. There were some tears and lots of "But, Mom!!!"s.

Our most exciting news of the day is... our snakes are back! We hadn't seen any of them since James got the snake repellant a week or two ago. Today there were three down at the pond!!! Katie was in the pond trying to rearrange some rocks for her Dad, but got a little flustered when she picked up a rock and found a snake under it. Still, she handled herself pretty well for a little girl! She got out and we all just watched the snakes for a little while. James ran to the store and picked up some more repellant and I ran for the camera and was able to get several good pictures. I wouldn't post so many of them, but I was hoping somebody could identify the snake for us--what kind are they?



James repelled the snakes, we got changed, headed to church, got back home, and found one of the snakes swimming around in the pond. (They didn't repel very well this time!) Sam almost caught the thing, but it crawled under a rock where he couldn't reach it. It was killing him that there was a snake under there and he couldn't get to it! After a few minutes we noticed another snake--much smaller--on the other side of the pond. Sam was able to nab that one and he was soooooo excited! His first snake!

I am not a snake person and have no desire to touch the things myself and I don't want tons of them swarming the pond... but I still feel bad about killing them! At least these little things, since they're not dangerous. (As far as we know! Ha!) Well... not dangerous for us. We used to have 10 fish in the pond and now the two smallest ones are GONE. James is just sure that these little, itty-bitty snakes have eaten them--and will eat the rest, in time! Whoa!!! That's so weird! The little snake that Sam caught couldn't possibly eat one of the fish (at least I don't THINK it could!), but there was one that was a little bit larger and might possibly be able to eat a small fish. Anyway, we decided to "relocate" the snake. We took a family trip up the hill and down some road to the left...

...let the kids say goodbye to their little snake friend...

... and had Sam release him in somebody else's yard! Ha!

Not really. At least I don't think it was anybody else's yard! We tried to find a spot that was a good distance from any house. The kids found all of this quite thrilling and Sam got lots of praise for being our little snake man. He's pretty proud of himself and I'm sure he has appointed himself official snake catcher from here on out. He is a good little man. For all of the bad things he does, he's the only person in this household who has what it takes to deal with situations like this! Ha! James isn't a snake person any more than I am--he's either going to use a long object or a spray bottle; he's not about to reach down and pick the thing up. Katie wants to be brave, but is just too girly to be able to touch slimy things without squealing and jumping back... and Joe's responds just about the same way! Ha! He'll probably get more comfortable with such things under Sam's tutelage. :-)

That's about it from here. Lots of excitement tonight--and I can guarantee that Sam will be back down at the pond first thing in the morning, probably before breakfast. Everybody needs a job, I guess!

This entry was posted on 9:12 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

9 comments

It's not very comforting, nor inviting to guests, to know that the house you're about to go to is infested with snakes! Have you tried tracking down Batman and Robin to see if they have any snake repellant available? Maybe theirs works better than the stuff James found. ??? :-P

The only GOOD snake is a DEAD one. If God wanted them to live, He wouldn't place them within my sight!

I've never seen a snake like that. Don't ever want to see a snake like that or any other, for that matter.

How did the table turn out after the poly? It is disappointing to find out that after all the rushing around to get things done that your guests aren't showing up for another day...but at least you will be rested and ready to really enjoy your time together.

Have a great convention!

LOVE the creation cubes! How neat!

And I'll have to agree with Tammy #1 about the dead snakes stuff and Tammi #2 about not caring to see ANY kind of snake.

This is Tammy #3, Ha!!! Crazy.
I can't help you w/the snake thing. I do love that picture of Sam holding the snake. It looks so natural :o) That kid is so cute, most of the time, right?
It really is a cute picture of him.
I do like the creation boxes. Very neat.

That creation cube is neat! I'll have to remember that if i ever need to teach SS for little kids.

Love that smile Sam has on his face, holding his first snake. He looks very contented. The snake looks like the one that Elijah caught last year. I think that is just a garden snake. Oh, and snakes aren't slimy, they are just cool to the touch. Oh and they stink.

Snakes yikes! I agree with all the Tammy's and Tammi's. :)

Okay. I am getting caught up here and I am the only one that seems alarmed that the General Overseer's grandchildren are snake handling. HA!

As for the snake. I looked up Arizona snakes and it may be a Sonoran Whipsnake.

"The Sonoran Whipsnake (Masticophis bilineatus) is very fast and will climb in and even sleep in trees. It likes canyons, foothills and rocky slopes."

http://phoenix.about.com/od/arizonapicturesandphotos/ig/Arizona-Snakes/Arizona-Snakes-28.htm

In the process of looking for your snakes, I found that there are many, many, many venomess snakes in your area. Do be careful! Nuts!

The snake looks just like the garden snakes that were around our house in Ohio.