As it Was in the Days of Noah  

Posted by cokelady

...so shall it be in the Horne house. Particularly when Sam puts a plastic bag in the bathroom sink, turns the water on, then walks away and forgets about it. Yeppers, we've had a very interesting day around here today. That little incident alone filled up quite a while of it. The bathroom floor was covered, of course, as was the utility room--standing water all the way to the outside wall where the dog door is. Under the washer and dryer, the utility cabinet, into the kids' bedroom which is on the other side of the bathroom... When the "leak" (ha!) was discovered water was pouring off of all sides of the bathroom sink, running down the sides of the cabinet--even everything inside and underneath the cabinet was drenched, including the wall back behind. We grabbed every towel in the house, began sopping it all up, then throwing the saturated towels into the tub to await their washing. What a day. I kept thinking about when we were kids--particularly when we were teen-agers. Jon and Johnny (especially Jon) had a way of doing things that would make Mom sooooo mad she'd be trembling and ready to kill him and in tears all at once. Dad would put his arm around her and pat her and calmly say, "He's a good boy... and one day he'll be gone and we'll miss him very much." We've said it jokingly over and over through the years--even concerning our own kids--but today is the first time that I said it and the words really sunk in deep and took on meaning for me! Ha! Gotta keep reminding yourself of the truth of it. One day they'll be gone and we'll miss them being around... although I can't imagine ever wishing they'd come back to flood the house! Ha!

Not much going on here today. Except for the flood, of course. Did some house cleaning, read to the kids for a little while, took care of some Convention prep phone calls... that's about it! Oh, we got the kitchen table all scrubbed up and stained it. It was looking really bad--sooooo dried out. Tomorrow night I'll start putting the polyurethane on. Oh, and we did some touch up painting today, too. And, of course, have been washing lots and lots of towels, thanks to Sam and his flood.

At about 5:45 tonight I realized that I had no plans for dinner. I tried to talk the kids into being really bad so I could just send them to bed without dinner, but nobody seemed too thrilled about that idea. (You'd think the flood would've done it for Sam! Ha!) I drug myself into the kitchen and found some fish sticks and mac-n-cheese. It's really annoying how you can work yourself to death cooking a great steak dinner for your family and get only minimal thanks. Whip out the boxes of pasta and frozen goods and they erupt into praises. "Wow! Thanks, Mom!!! You're the best Mom in the whole world! Macaroni and cheese and fish sticks! Wa-Hoo!!!" "Hey," I told them, "That's the kinda Mom I am." ;-)

It was such a beautiful night, James suggested we eat our gourmet dinner by the pond. :-) (Look closely--you can see some of our fishes! James brought home some new ones today so now we're up to ten.)

Notice the purty flowers down near James' feet. He just brought those home and planted them today.
And here's the kid who caused all the ruckus today. If you look carefully you can probably see some dirt mixed in with his macaroni. And perhaps an ant or two.

Sam kept smashing ants with his spoon and we finally told him he was done with dinner and to take his plate inside. He showed up a minute later with those great big "uh-oh" eyes of his and explained, "We have a problem, Mom. I was taking my plate to the sink like you said, and something happened. It tipped." I asked if he cleaned up the mess. "No, I need help-ed." I followed him back to the house, opened the door, and beheld a trail of macaroni--we're talking Hansel and Gretel style--all the way from the front door, across the living room and dining room and into the kitchen. ~BIG SIGH~ There are days when I just simply do not have the energy to be that kid's Mom. This is the second time today that I have been VERY, VERY thankful for the tile floors in this house that I used to abhor--all because of Sam. I must say though, the mac-n-cheese mess was dealt with quite simply. "Hershey! Oh, Hershey Dog!!!" ~Voila~ :-) Ah, yes. This is the second time today that Sam has provided a nice meal for Hershey. At lunch time he took his plate and started marching to the table and let the hot dog roll off onto the floor. "Um... Mom?" ~sigh~ Did I mention it's been a red letter day for Sam today?!

And here are just a few more pics before we call it a night. This is Katie and Sam actually doing something GOOD and HELPFUL. (I've got to learn to take more pictures of the good stuff. It's hard to come by with Sam so I'll have to be quick, but it will be helpful on days like today to have proof that he's not just out to wreck our house and our sanity!)

One of Katie's new skirts. I'll have to get pics of everything else later.

Katie and Joe have been busy little beavers lately. Katie opened a Denny's restaurant and Joe opened a motel, "Napping Inn." Business has been booming for them lately, but it's only the same three customers over and over again. :-) Here they are making signs for their new establishments...

And I guess that's about it. I need to go finish up on my Sunday School prep for tomorrow. Hope everybody had a great Saturday--and hopefully it was a little less messy than ours. Have great services tomorrow!

Oh, one more thing before I go. I thought this Dilbert strip was truly grand. Gotta admire sarcasm like that. :-)

This entry was posted on 8:41 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

I see the fish! :) What a great thing to have a pond that one can eat supper by. That pond is so cool. Tell James the flowers add a nice touch.

So sorry to hear about your very interesting day. lol Poor Sam. I'll have to remind myself of "missing them one day" when everything is going wrong. ;-)

The skirt looks great! I need to make some for Alana. The ones she had last year are starting to get short. I'm really wanting to make bloomers for her this yr too. We'll see how it goes. :)

I did it! I caught up on your blog! I read and even commented on all 11 posts from the 30th. I enjoyed them all! Your such a great writer or story teller I should say. :)

Your dad's response to all of Sam's mischief? "Poor little Sam." HA! Even that picture of Sam proves he can't hide his mischievious side--it just oozes from him! He just cracks me up! You're gonna have your hands full with that boy. I didn't start "trembling with anger" until Jon was much older than Sam is, and Jon really WAS a good boy; he just knew how to push my buttons. ;-)

BTW, Katie's in the food industry, Joe's in the accomodations industry, what industry is Sam into? Or is he just a customer to the other 2 businesses?

Sam's the felon who "knocks down" the other businesses. Ha!

Wow, Bekah--it's so cool that you're late! How fun to have brand new comments on all of those old, stale posts! Ha! Now you have to go back and read all of the comments I left in response to your comments. :-)

The fish are very cool. I'd name 'em if I thought we'd be able to remember who was who!

Yeah, Mom--I knew Dad would be real supportive. Anytime a kid is bad around here Dad wants to know why in the world we're mistreating them so. James thinks Sam ought to flood YOUR house next since Dad always seems to get such a kick out of his stunts. People keep telling us that we're going to have our hands full with Sam. We ALREADY have our hands full with Sam! Is it unrealistic for me to believe that he's just getting all of the badness out now and he'll straighten up and be a truly wonderful kid by the time he's ten??? ~sigh~ Yeah, I thought so!

Anonymous  

I look at that picture of Sam and wonder how such a cutie could do so much damage in one day! lol The adventures in the Horne household sure do make pulling ticks off my Blue a piece of cake. :o)

Bro. Hawkins told us tonight they are going to your neck of the woods this weekend. Told him to tell ya'll hi in person. BUT ya'll can't keep them....they belong to Alabama now!!!

I haven't been able to stop in and tell you how pretty your house and yard looks! Great pond. Sorry about the flood :) One day you will laugh and "remember the time..."