What to Say, What to Say...  

Posted by cokelady

Not much, really. Things are going well here. We're officially home "alone" now that James AND Mom are gone. You can't ever be truly alone with 3 kids and a dog, but it's as close as I'll get for many years, probably!

I stayed up late on Saturday night preparing for Sunday School and my WMB service that was to be Sunday night. Sunday School went good again this week, PRAISE THE LORD, and the kids were actually asking, "What are we gonna do next Sunday???" Wow! What a turn around! Got to be God. Don't tell any of my students (!), but I don't even like teaching Sunday School. Not to say I'm bitter about having the job (ha!), but it's not something I'm naturally good at and it's always been a bit of a struggle for me to relate to kids other than my own. But I see the need--and what a great need there is with these kids who know so very little about God and the Bible!--and I've been praying that God will work things out and minister to their souls in our Sunday School time. He is answering those prayers and helping me to face this crazy class. This week I had ages 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, and 17. And they were all "with" me! Wa-Hoo!

The lady who was supposed to be in charge of service in James' absence wasn't at church yesterday (there was some miscommunication and we were totally unaware that she'd be gone) so after Sunday School I went ahead and taught the lesson that I had prepared for the WMB service that night. I talked about when Jesus went into the country of the Gadarenes and cast the devils out of the lunatic man that had beed living in the tombs... and the crazy people around there begged Jesus to LEAVE instead of STAY! They had tried to "help" the man on their own (but "no man could tame him" or even keep him controlled with chains), but to no avail. When Jesus brought the real answer, they wanted nothing to do with it. There are sooooo many people who would rather stick to their own failing ways instead of letting Jesus into "their" territory to do the job right! And the things they do to try to "fix" things only bring more bondage--like trying to keep the poor lunatic man controlled with chains. Crazy. But later on Jesus went into Gannesaret and immediately when the people heard he was there they ran throughout the country and found all the sick, lame, dumb and blind people they could and brought them to Jesus hoping that they'd get a chance to just touch the border of his clothes and receive healing. "And as many as touched him were made whole." That's the kind of person I want to be! Not like the first group who would rather flounder around with their own failing methods than let God do things the right way--He might do something they don't like, you know! (Like kill all of their pigs! What were those Gadarenes doing raising pigs anyway?! They couldn't even eat pork according to the law! Pigs aren't good for much of anything else, are they? They obviously already had rebellion in their hearts and they wanted nothing to do with Jesus who might require a change in them!) ANYWAY... I'm rambling, sorry.

I thought the "lesson" went really well and was soooooo thankful I had stayed up late to get it all finished up instead of banking on Sunday afternoon for the finishing touches. But immediately after service somebody (not a member) said something they were going to that just screamed of "Gadarene" philosophy! Ha! Maybe I'm the only one that got anything out of the lesson! Ha! Ha!

Last night we had prayer meeting (since my WMB service had already been used!) and although it was just the Faithful Few again (our family and the two older church ladies who are ALWAYS there), we had a wonderful, wonderful time of prayer. I so appreciate these ladies and their sincerity--and the burden that they bear for their loved ones and other lost souls. They truly cry out from the heart in their prayers and it helps to usher me into the presence of God with my own prayers. We had such a good, powerful time of prayer last night. I really needed it and I'm sooooo thankful for it.

We came home last night and did... nothing! And it's been pretty much the same story today. I just can't seem to get any motivation. And I think Mom has rubbed off on me. She gets sooooo much accomplished (THAT part didn't rub off, unfortunately!), but she's "a slow starter," as she puts it. In other words, although she may be up at 7:30 in the morning, she doesn't actually get involved in accomplishing anything until at least 11:00! From there she might work until midnight, but don't expect any early hours out of the lady, let me tell you! Well, I think it's catchy. Not the working late thing, just the starting slow thing. It's 9:40 right now and I'm just NOW starting to accomplish things today! Ha! I've done piddly little things, but none of the big projects I've been hoping to tackle. Every time I think of them I feel like just flopping on the couch instead! I haven't done that either though, so I don't know where the time has gone. I did manage to get the house all cleaned up and fix tuna casserole and peas for dinner (the kids were sooooooo excited--it's been months since we've had that and it's one of their favorites) and I've finally got some laundry going now. I'm hoping to work up some steam (while I'm typing?!) to get up and get busy ironing, too. I have a VLB service to prepare for tomorrow night and I'm totally blank on that. I used everything that God's been laying on my heart in the WMB service and now I'm fresh out! (I'm definitely a one-thing-at-a-time person when it comes to preparing lessons and such!) So say a prayer for God to give me something to share, please! I know I plan on having a special time of prayer for our upcoming Youth Convention... but that's about all I have planned right now!

~sigh~ I'd better go. My ironing awaits. Have a great night, all of you lousy non-commenters out there! Don't take offense--I'm a lousy non-commentor myself most of the time. ;-)

~Bec~

This entry was posted on 9:12 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

I just read something about the Gadarenes raising pigs and that they were doing it to sacrifice on the altars of the false gods they had set up.

As for teaching and relating to kids other than your's...you sound like I did many years ago. I still don't relate to kids other than my own and I still don't like teaching, but it had to be done and I was willing to help, so keep on...you never know how God will bless you. He sure has blessed me. All of those hours put in preparing for class...they were truly worth every moment.

You are not the only one who had to get something for church this sun day gerald was really sick so i had to teach Adult S. S. get something for the morning service, lead songs, and then get something ready for sunday night, so don't feel alone i think i confused everybody sunday night, but i tried.

I like reading your blogs, cuz you have so much to say, that is why i come and read your blogs.

Hello, it's your "slow starter" Mom here. I got up at 6:30 and it's now 8:30 and I'm still in my gown. But I've had devotions with your Dad and my personal devotions and now I'm ready to go get dressed and get to work.
Did you get your ironing done? I did. :-)

You've posted a lot and I've just now caught up to read it all!

Pretty house decor. You can tell ya'll worked hard and I know you're glad your mom was there to help. Making it look like a home. One day, I might get brave enough to try my hand at some cabinets, but I really do hate to paint.

T #1 -- I knew those Gadarenes were up to no good!!! ;-)

Sister Janis -- You have quieted my complaining. You had sooooo much more to do on Sunday than I did! We'll just start calling you Pastor Janis now that you can run the whole sha-bang. We're in need of some more good pastors, you know. Maybe James can appoint Gerald to one church and you to another this year! HA! (JUST KIDDING--don't panic!)

My Slow Starter Mother -- YES, I did get all of my ironing done. It was 2:00 before I got to bed last night (thanks so much for teaching me such good habits, mother) and very difficult to crawl out of bed in time to take the trash to the street for the garbage man, but I made it!

T #2 -- Thank you! My house is feeling much more like home now. Don't worry about not being a big painter. My Mom's great and she's already had several invitations to help remodel other folks' homes, so just add yourself to the list. I'm sure she wouldn't mind. We all know she doesn't have much to keep herself busy with anyway. ;-)

Come here and let me slap you! (That's intended for Becki, not you, Sister Tammy#2) I see your last comment was posted at 9:16 this morning. It's after 7:00pm my time now and this is the first chance I've had to check out your blog. I was an "office lady" today. Tomorrow I'll be a stay-at-home lady, Lord willing. I just found out I'll be having multiple guests Friday night. FUN!!! I've got 5 overnighters so far. What will I cook? Hmmmm. And I'll be taking a couple of desserts to the TN Ladies' Day Saturday. I've got to get to planning.

I'm going to bed now. I expect there to be a new post when I wake up in the morning. Got it?

Sis Smith- I don't know what you'll make as a main dish, but whatever it is, it should go with your wonderful fried potatoes MmmmMmmmMmmm! Gotta make those