Unexpectedly Productive  

Posted by cokelady

That's how today has turned out. Actually, I didn't accomplish any of the things I had intened to accomplish--but I did accomplish something that I didn't even know would be a possibility. :-)

We had breakfast and devotions today, as usual. The kids went out to play for a little while, so I headed to the garage in hopes of getting it straightened up a little bit. I had barely gotten started when I heard a truck out at the drive. I stepped outside and saw the UPS man drop a package over the gate. My wallpaper!!! I went and got it, intending to open it up and make sure it was the right stuff, then get right back to the garage job. Well... when I saw the wallpaper all else came to a screeching halt and I had to start right to work! This is the wallpaper I picked out to go in the kitchen to complement the freshly painted cabinets. The good news is: I LOVE IT! It is soooooo perfect. Exactly what I had envisioned--or maybe even better. The bad news is: I ran out. Oopsie. The repeat of the pattern is ever 20" or something like that, meaning that there is a lot of waste. You have lots of scraps from having to line the design up perfectly to the previous strip. In the end, I discovered that this paper is very forgiving and even if things aren't matched up it's hard to tell. :-) I matched everything perfectly in all of the places that matter, and then used all of the scrap pieces and patched them together above the cabinets (way up high--you'll never know) and behind the refrigerator. I'll have to order one more roll to finish things off, but that's okay. I can't go any farther until James re-builds the wall behind the sink for me anyway.

Sooooo... do you wanna see what it looks like so far??? Is everybody ready? Okay, all together now...

Ooooooooohhhh! Aaaaaaaahhhh!
Before...

After...

Before...

After...

Happy, happy, happy! It makes me sooooo happy to see this house slowly transforming from a plain (and often gross) place with nothing but some potential into a home. My home! ~sigh~ Life is grand. :-)

Due to my unexpected remodeling project today the kids were pretty much on their own. They played outside most of the day. I looked out once to see Katie and Joe dressed in all their cowboy garb... and Sam with no shirt on, just a vest, and a pair of chaps on his head. He was an Indian, of course, with a very creative head dress. Ha!

I let the kid-o's have a pizza party tonight while I kept working in the kitchen. I cooked three Totino's and I only had one piece! Those oinkers ate almost an entire pizza each!!! Crazy. I let them watch Looney Tunes on the wall in by bedroom, then we had devotions and I put them to bed.

I finished cleaning up the kitchen and started some laundry, and now here I am blogging away and watching a movie--on the wall in my room, of course. What a great day! And James will be soooooo happy to see the wallpaper when he gets home. I KNOW he didn't expect this. I didn't expect it either! Hopefully I'll still be able to get a few more things done before he gets home. It helps to stay as busy as possible--that way we don't get so lonely. :-)

G'night!

This entry was posted on 10:26 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

WOW! GREAT BIG WOW!
The wallpaper is absoultely perfect with the newly painted cabinets. Oooohhhhh! Aaaaahhhh!

I knew it would not be long till this house transformed into a home. Congrats!

I just saw the log walls! Cool! It seems so fitting with the surroundings and history of the place.

It looks FABULOUS!!! Hey, Bec, are you sure James doesn't check your blog? This won't be much of a surprise if he does.

It looks great. Totally different. Don't you just love when that happens, it turns out better than you expect. This so reminded me of me. What I mean is, as soon as I get an idea or something new to do...I have to get it done RIGHT NOW. HA! It does look great!

Tammy Fox
(have I commented enough that I don't have to sign my name? Will you know who I am by the picture?) lol

Great job Bec! It really does make the cabinets *POP* now.

Em--I know! The wallpaper makes me love the CABINETS even more! :-) I ordered the extra roll of paper this morning, so hopefully it won't be long until I can finish up in the kitchen COMPLETELY! Wa-Hoo!

Jason--Long time, no hear from! Thanks for stopping by. You're wrong though. I fear it will be a very long time before this house transforms into a home. Ha! One step at a time. It's coming along. You guys should come see it someday! (Consequently, you'd have to see us too--which is just the point.) :-)

Mom--Don't know if James will check the blog or not. There's a good chance he will, but you never can tell. He asked this morning if the wallpaper came and I said yes, but nothing more. He'll be thrilled and surprised even if he discovers it on the blog before he gets here. :-)

Sister Tammy--I've got you figured out, so you don't have to sign your name anymore. It's the tall, skinny lady with the tall, skinny husband--got it! (At least that's what the picture would indicate... am I right?!)

Sister Tammi--I know!!! Now, now, now I'm happy! :-)