~whew~  

Posted by cokelady

What a day. But my mother informed me that I haven't posted in FOUR days. Weird. Seems like just last night! Okay, let's see...

Saturday I don't remember at all, I just know it was busy. Easter prep stuff.

Easter was GREAT. Sunday School was a hit. I did those "empty tomb" rolls with the kids. You know, where you roll up a marshmallow in a cresent roll and "seal" it, then bake it and the marshmallow "disappears" and you have an empty hole in the role where it used to be--like the tomb of Jesus. Except in our case the marshmallows didn't really disappear, they exploded and oozed out of the rolls and all over the pan. (I made it very clear to the children that that is NOT how Jesus made his escape from the tomb! Ha!) They were great anyway--especially because we sprinkled them with cinnamon before we rolled 'em up. ;-)

We had three new visitors in church on Sunday, so that was exciting! One gentleman in particular really seemed to enjoy the service and assured us that he would be back. Praise the Lord!

James had cancelled the evening service, so we headed home for a nice, leisurely afternoon with the fam. I had put a brisket on the night before, so I just had to fix the trimmings: corn on the cob, cheesy potatoes, rolls, deviled eggs... and whatever I'm forgetting about right now. It all turned out GREAT. I think the brisket was the very best I've ever had. It was sooooo juicy and tender--we had to spoon it out of the pan! It was delicious. (Hope yours is as good, Sister Tammi!)

James had bought some plastic eggs and "fillers" for them, so he went out Sunday afternoon and hid them all over our mountain. The kids had a blast finding them! It was sooooo fun!!! And they were sooooo excited. It was almost like Christmas. Ha! They were thrilled to pop them open and find a couple of coins or some candy or a sheet of mini-stickers. They played with the eggs all day long--hiding them for each other to re-find. :-)

I set up the projector again and let the kids watch the Easter Veggie Tales, so that was fun, too. While they were watching that, I made a pineapple upside-down cake. It, too, was sooooo yummy!

After the kids went to bed that night James and I watched Facing the Giants on the projector. I had forgotten how much I enjoy that movie! It's a little "cheesy" in ways, but it's just sooooo good.

Monday was a long, long day. My goal was to get all of the laundry and ironing done that day, and finish up on the regional paper. I worked hard all day long, but I didn't even start the ironing until 10:30 that night--and I still hadn't finished the paper. It was one of those days when you know you've worked hard all day long but you look back and find that you haven't finished anything!!! The projector was still set up, so I watched the Thursday morning session of the Assembly while I ironed. It was great and I was blessed--it helped my spirits (=mood) greatly. :-) I finished up at midnight and then worked another hour on the paper and fell into bed sometime after 1:00.

Yesterday we waited for the plumber to show up. Never did. I did some more work around the house, then we left early for church because we had some shopping to do. Had to buy PAINT. Lots and lots of paint. And some other odds and ends.

We had communion and feetwashing last night and it was such a good service. There were just a handful of us there (the Faithful Few, I call this crowd!), but the Spirit of the Lord was so rich and sweet and we were all so blessed. It was wonderful.

This morning I called the plumber and rescheduled. Then I got to work on the day's project: painting the ceiling in the living room/dining room/kitchen. ~sigh~ If only it could be that easy! Ha! It's a vaulted ceiling, so that doesn't help. I cleared everything out of half of the room, the taped plastic all over the baseboards and floors and doors and the window and the bricks and fireplace and all across the beam that goes at the peak of the ceiling... That alone takes forever!!! I finally started painting at about noon.

The plumber showed up and... well, didn't do much, just made me mad! Ha! I took him around and showed him what we were needing done. He didn't even turn the water on in the bathtub to investigate the problem, just said we'd be best buying a whole new unit, blah, blah, blah... I took him out to the garage and showed him what we were wanting out there and he started rambling on about permits and codes and how we won't be able to sell the house, blah, blah, blah... THEN (this one made me soooo mad) I showed him the gas pipe that sticks out from the wall behind the stove. We just need it capped at the wall so we can push the stove back all the way. He said he'd have to shut the gas off at the tank, then bleed the pipe that goes into the house, wait for it to finish it's thing, then cap the line, then relight the furnace and, blah, blah, blah... --And that it would be 1 or 2 hours labor. That means about $140!!! I refrained from saying what was really on my mind. "What kind of an idiot do you take me for?! The last two plumbers we had cap gas lines just cut the pipe and held their finger over the opening until they got it capped!!! Didn't even shut the gas off. It took all of about 5 minutes!!!" He was a nice enough guy, but I was just sooooo frustrated that everything was SUCH a big deal to him. I was very polite and kind, but when he finally left I called James and ranted and raved for a good little bit. I told him I want a different plumber out here before we make any decisions. This guys was just such a pessimist. He was so negative about everything!!! Not the kind of guy I want doing work for me, you know?!

Anyway, I spent all day long taping and painting and cleaning and such. The ceilings had to be painted and the walls had to be scrubbed so they'll be ready for next week's project. I scrubbed the top of the walls and Katie scrubbed the bottom, so that was a big help--and fun to work on together.

James took Katie to town with him today, then he was good to occupy all of the kids once he got home so that I could work without distraction. He had the boys busy with shovels and hoes, digging a pond out front for a while. Then they all played bocci ball (is that how it's spelled?!), tag, and hide-n-seek outside. How fun!!! (For them--I was still painting! Ha! Still, it was fun to watch them out the window!)

Ah yes, I didn't mention that our family went out and played bocci ball the other day. All over our mountain! Ha! It was sooooo much fun. The kids are hilarious. Joe is a lefty, so everything he does looks awkward and he has different form every time he throws the ball. Katie is a bowler. When it's her turn she holds her ball up next to her cheek and bends way over and squints (almost like a golfer sizing up his shot), then tosses her ball and immediately spews forth a series of "Oh, man. I'm never gonna win" kind of statements. Then there's Sam. He is sooooo great to watch! Ha! The balls are pretty heavy and he's still a pretty little guy. He doesn't toss them underhand like the rest of us, he hurls them--kind of like s shot put. With a mighty heave and equally mighty grunts and groans, he slings his ball... and wins almost every time!!! It is absolutely uncanny. I can't tell you the times that James' ball was 3 inches away from the little while ball and Sam would hurl his and ker-plunk-plunk-plunk it would knock James' out of the way and butt right up to the white one! Ha! It was amazing. He probably won close to half of the rounds. I finally had to quit. I just can't handle losing to a 4 year old--legitimately, not letting him win--in game that takes at least a degree of physical skill! The little rat!!!

ANYWAY, this has been another never-ending day. Finally, after 11:00 tonight I have the whole ceiling painted and trimmed out. My body was exhausted, but my mind still busy so I thought I'd blog before bed. I didn't get the second half of the room scrubbed, just painted. So that means the project will continue tomorrow. Naturally. There's no such thing as a simple one-day project around here. We just don't believe in 'em. We like to drag things out as long as possible so we appreciate the finished product all the more. ~sigh~ Or something like that. Tomorrow is my last day to work though because we've got District Convention in Alamogordo this weekend, so we'll see how much I can get done. For now, I'm just going to go wash the rest of the paint off of my arms and face (the stuff in my hair will just have to wait!) and go to bed. Maybe tomorrow will be an easier day. Right???


~Bec~

--Too tired to proof read, so go easy on me! ;-)

This entry was posted on 11:19 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

20 comments

I don't recall seeing any boo-boo's in your post. Proofreading was unnecessary this time. You even spelled plumber right. ;-) Speaking of which, what a bummer of a plumber! I hope you find a reasonable one soon. Where's your Uncle Colin when you need him???

Wow! You are getting so much accomplished. I'm sure that it doesn't seem that way to you, but you wore me out just reading about it all.

Glad your brisket turned out so good. I'm so looking forward to our's.

Umm..i want your brisket recipe. I LOVE brisket, and woudl love to know how to make one.

Brisket recipe??? I'm not sure what I'm about to tell you qualifies as a "recipe," but it goes something like this:

Lay the brisket fat side down in a pan big enough for it.

Salt, pepper, and use Greek Seasoning generously over the top of the brisket.

Cover tightly with foil.

Throw it in the oven at about 225 or 250 degrees and walk away for, oh, say, 10 or 12 hours.

Take it out of the oven, slap it on the table, and listen to all of the oohs and aahs and everybody tell you what an amazing cook you are. :-)

(This is my kind of recipe! Ha!)

Oh, I forgot. We usually take the brisket out and let it cool a bit, then use an electric knife to slice it thinly, then put it back in the oven for another hour--or just long enough to warm it through again. :-)

Let me qualify . . . when Becki says "cover tightly" she doesn't mean to just cover the pan. Make the foil long enough to lay the brisket on, then come up over the top and seal the foil all the way around TIGHTLY so NO AIR can get in or out, otherwise the brisket will dry out. This way all the steam stays inside and continually bastes the meat. YUM! My mouth is watering just thinking about it and my imagination is smelling the delicious aroma! Then another REAL IMPORTANT part is to serve it with K.C. Masterpiece BBQ sauce. THE BEST!!!

Excuse me, but it's been another FIVE days since your last post. *shaking head* Tsk, tsk.

I'VE BEEN GONE, LADY!!! ;-)

You can't call me "LADY!!!" I can see I'm gonna have to give you a "whoopin" when I get there. TOMORROW!!!! WA HOOOOO!!!!!!

Good luck. I'm still faster than you are... LADY.

;-)

You two have a blast doing all that fancy country decorating! I'll be waiting for the pictures!

YAY, thanks!! For the "recipe"...but I have never heard of greek seasoning???

Hey, Kasey! I had a hard time finding Greek Seasoning in Texas, but finally discovered that I could by it in the large (10 oz.) container, even though they didn't carry it in the normal little spice jars. If you can't find it (or don't want to bother!), the ingredients are:

Salt, Onion, Garlic, Black Pepper, Oregano, M.S.G. and Anti-Caking Agent.

So really, just sprinkle on some basic herbs and spices and it will be fantastic! (I'd leave out the M.S.G. and Anti-Caking stuff! Ha!) And Mom's right--be sure to have some KC Masterpiece. :-)

Slacker. It's been TEN DAYS since you posted! Shame, shame. Some people are so lazy.

It's now been 11 days. (But who's counting?)

How Is your visit with your mom going?

wow, 17 comments, I thought I mught as well make it 18, where is a picture...lady ;o)
Becki you are so good about pictures, I have been waiting. Sounds like you are having a great time decorating. See you guys in 2 weeks. Better work extra hard and I can see the place in person.

I'm waitin' for #20 before I post again. Ha!

Do you really mean it? I'll be comment #20, but you BETTER get some pictures up here pronto! :-)
We're all dying to see what you've accomplished.