Joe & Dr. Jiggle  

Posted by cokelady

I could share what we've been doing the past couple of days, but I figured this would be more interesting. But first, some background...

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I have two very cowardly boys. Tandem cowards they are, Joe and Sam. They refuse to go into any restroom without the other, especially if there is a noisy fan in the room. They have a real phobia about those automatic flusher toilets, but that's another story entirely. Sometimes at night one or the other (an on rare occasions, both) of the boys will come into our bedroom in or near tears and tell us of some scary dream they've had or something scary they are thinking of. We can usually just pray with them and send them back to bed. (By "we" I really mean me, since James usually sleeps straight through and never knows there was an issue.)

While we were living in the motel before getting our house, I noticed that every single time Joe went into the bathroom, he would start singing. Davy Crockett, of all things. He would walk into the bathroom and--without fail--as soon as the door clicked closed we would hear, "Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee, greenest state in the land of the free; raised in the woods 'til he knew every tree, kill't him a bar' when he was only three--Davy!!! Davy Crockett! King of the wild fronteer!" James and I thought it was hilarious and would sometimes beat Joe to it--before he'd have a chance to shut the door we'd burst out, "Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee...!" Ha! Anyway, one day I asked him why he sang that every time he went into the bathroom and he explained in typical Joe fashion, "Well, um... I think it might be so I won't be scared." Ah-ha! That had never occurred to me. Mom says when she was a kid she used to sing "Power in the Blood" when she was scared. Joe sticks stricty to Davy Crockett. ;-)

Anyway, the other day after I watched Dr. Jiggle and Mr. Sly with the kids... ~sigh~ You guessed it. At 3:45 in the morning a little boy appeared at my bedside. "Um, Mom... I think I was just thinking about something from Dr. Jiggle and..." ~SIGH~ "Oh, Joe!!!" I was too tired to even ask what specifically was scaring him, so I just started praying (though it was mostly half-asleep mumbling), "Jesus, please be with Joe and help him to not be scared and..." When I finished my mumbling Joe said thanks and trotted back to his bedroom. About 20 seconds later I heard the thump-thump-thump of him jogging back into our bedroom. "Um, Mom? Is it okay if I sing?" HA! I was soooooo tired. I said sure, as long as he sang quietly so he wouldn't wake Katie and Sam. I heard him thump-thump-thump back into the kids' room, and then loud and clear...

"BORN ON A MOUNTAINTOP IT TENNESSEE..." At 3:45 in the morning! Even at that hour, I couldn't help but laugh. That kid! Ha! He actually tried to be kind of quiet to begin with (things really echo in this house and always sound much louder than intended), but the longer he sang the louder he got until I was finally hearing his deep-down, from the heart, "DAVY-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y!!! DAVY CROCKETT!!! KING OF THE WILD FRONTE-E-E-E-E-E-E-R!!!!!" He sang that through a few times and then moved on to "My God is so Great" and "Priase the Lord, Amen, Amen." I was glad he finally got God involved instead of placing all of his trust in good ole' Davy. ;-) I have no idea how long he sang. I finally fell asleep after about 10 minutes and he was still going strong. I love that kid. :-)

Ah yes, and I didn't post pictures of Grace's wedding the other day. There were probably 100 or 150 people at the wedding, but there had to have been at least 3,000 cameras--it was crazy!!! So I just took a few pictures.
Here is the very excited and jittery groom, waiting for his bride...

Saying goodbye to Mom... Through the tunnel of bubbles...
One last pose for the paparazzi...
And then they were gone! After they kicked Jacob out of the backseat, that is. :-)

Okay, I've got to get busy. Have a great weekend!!!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 6:43 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

5 comments

Yay more pictures! One camera that wasn't present was MINE! lol... I loved being in the wedding and sharing it with Grace but I missing all the great pictures. Slowly everyone is posting pictures and soon enough everyone will post and I'll be able to add it all together to get the whole wedding ceremony lol

I so wish I coudl have come to her wedding. I am so bummed. :(
oh, and thanks for commenting! :)

This comment has been removed by the author.

Great post, Bec. Funny kids. And thanks for the pictures. I'm glad you got some shots of the bride being carried out to the get-away car. Too bad you didn't get any of the stow-away in the back seat. Too funny!

Hey Beckiloo!!
Thanks for finding my blog. We think about you guys often and hope all is going well and will be good for you in NM. Once we get settled maybe you guys can come for a visit...I would LOVE to hear Davy Crockett!! LOL
We love you all, take care!