Could it Be???  

Posted by cokelady

Has it really been 5 days since I last blogged?! How did that happen??? And I was doing so well. Oh, well. To tell you the truth, I really don't have a clue what we've been up to this week. I know that--for the first time since we moved into this house over a month ago--I left the house willingly. I've had to leave for a few short trips and, of course, we go to church... but aside from that James has pretty much had to take me kicking and screaming from the house if we needed to go somewhere. I was without a house for two full months and now that I've got one again I have no desire whatsoever to step foot outside of it. I LOVE being HOME. James kept saying things like, "Why don't we run into town and..." That's all I got. Those first few words. I never knew what followed them because I had heard all I needed to hear and I knew I wasn't interested. I finally asked him, "What part of 'I don't want to leave my house' do you not understand?!" ;-) But after being home alone with the kids this past weekend, I was ready to get out. We had a good time while James was gone, but I was ready to get out of the house once it was all over! So... one of the days this week (they all run together) we loaded up the kids and went to the library for a while, then did some necessary shopping at the new Wal-Mart in Edgewood. That's right--I don't even have to go to Albuquerque to shop anymore! Wa-Hoo!!! Edgewood is all of 10 or 15 miles from here and it's a quaint little mountain town far away from all of the chaos of the city. The Wal-Mart is (reportedly) the largest one in New Mexico and the fourth largest one in the U.S. Crazy. Anyway, it's nice to have what we need so close by! And NOT in Albuquerque!

But since I've passed the Don't-Ask-Me-to-Leave-Home-or-You-Might-Get-Hurt stage, we even took a trip into Albuquerque a few days ago. We took the kids to Explora (the kids' museum thing) again and had a good time. Then we made use of our gift certificate to Chili's (compliments of that dopey water filtration demonstrator that invaded our house a couple of weeks ago--James finally went and picked up our certificate this week), complete with that great white chocolate cake thingy. That's really the reason we got roped into the demonstration in the first place so we went ahead and ordered one even though we were all too full to really enjoy it as much as we otherwise would have. It was still great. :-)

Hhmmm. I'm drawing a blank. The kids are doing better in school, for the most part. (Like my nice schooling-little-ones template?!) There have been several times lately when Katie has gone and grabbed her school book and sat down to do some--just for fun. Even Joe did it tonight, which blew my mind. I grabbed him on both sides of his head, looked into his eyes and screamed, "Who are you and what have you done with my son Joe?!?!?" He just gave me a funny look, took the school book, and walked away. He, too, has been writing reports this week. That happened because he "bet" his Dad a game of checkers. That was the deal--if Joe lost he would have to write a report this week. Well... We told him he could pick out any book he wanted from the library, so he chose something highly educational. A Star Wars book! Ha! The kids have only seen a few minutes of Star Wars once in a motel, but it's one of those things that is just so fascinating for them, you know?! So his report was all about C-3PO. Whatever. I was impressed that he WROTE one! Joe's also learning to "borrow" or "carry" or "regroup"--whatever you want to call it--while adding and subtracting double digits now. He's doing great with it, but doesn't enjoy it much. Katie is learning to multiply and she's doing great, too. She'll see 8x6 and spend the next 4 minutes adding up groups of eight... six times. She's getting the concept down, so that's good! I'm going to let her practice a little bit more, then give her the actual chart to memorize and work on. She and Joe still need to learn their basic addition and subtraction by memory! They still add up most problems instead of just knowing the answer. Either way, they're using their brains and doing a great job.

Then there's Sam. Sam fell in a cactus today. I heard the scream and then the two messengers arrived with excited screams relaying the news, and finally Sam hobbled into the house, the inside of his left pant leg completely covered over in cactus "thorns," as the kids call them. We took his pants off and he immediately calmed down, even though his leg was full of needles. Katie and Joe would have been screaming bloody murder the whole time and freaked out every time I tried to pull one out, but Sam is much tougher in these instances. He didn't really want my help though--he pulled all of the needles out himself. I'm sure this was only the first of a series of cactus encounters.

James brought home a mirror for me today. :-) That means our bathroom is very, very near completion. And that makes me very, very happy!!! The plummer is coming on Tuesday to fix the faucet thingy for the tub, then we'll be able to do the last touch-up stuff and ~voila~ we'll be done! ~Voila~... like 3 weeks after we stared the dumb room we'll be done, that is! Ha! Oh, well. It's exciting to be so close after it all! I'm anxious to post pictures one of these days, hopefully soon.

Okay, I'm gonna go. Gotta hang that mirror (!) and do a few other last minute things for Sunday School tomorrow. Then put the brisket in the oven. We're having an Easter brisket this year instead of an Easter ham. Disgraceful break from tradition, I know, but brisket was on sale and James bought it and there's not room for it in the freezer and it's got to be cooked, so Easter brisket it is! I hope you all have a wonderful Easter and that God richly blessed your services with His Spirit's moving and lots of visitors who will turn out to be "good ground." :-)

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 10:05 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

5 comments

Cute template, Bec. --Hope your brisket was good. Dad and I had leftover ham I stuck in the CrockPot before church, and it was dried out by time we got home. I THOUGHT I had ham drippings to make gravy with, but I was mistaken so I made some quick scalloped potatoes in the microwave. Disgusting. The potatoes actually tasted okay, but it's disgusting to have such a pitiful meal for a major holiday. Sad. All alone for a holiday, eating dried up leftover ham with microwaved potatoes. *sniff, sniff*

Brisket? Honey, if I could find a brisket up here AND it was on sale...I'd buy 2. You can't get them here and the few rare occasions that you DO find one...forget it being on sale...more likely over $30.00. It is really quite sad. However, we celebrated our Easter dinner at Darren and Larissa's on Saturday, then had roast, potatoes and carrots at our house today. We even had 14 visitors at church this morning. It was cool to only have 3 empty seats left in the chapel. I'll hush now since this comment is far longer than my last post on my own blog. ~grin~

James DID buy two--one went in the freezer, the other one got cooked for Easter! :-) I think he said they were on sale for $1.19 per lbs. It was soooooo good! (Mom has a terrible time finding brisket, too. Ain't a lot of cattle ranches where ya'll are, you know?!) How exciting to have so many visitors at church--that's wonderful!!!

Guess what we found yesterday while grocery shopping????? YEP! We found a brisket...it was $3.something a pound (UGH!), so we found a small one and got it. I am really excited...I'll get two different meals out of it! You should have seen how big around my eyes got when I found the brisket. My husband was laughing at me. Life is grand!

Don't look now, but it's been FOUR days since your last post. Quit lolligagging! (Don't hit!) Okay, in Becki's behalf I'll report that besides Easter and all that goes along with that, she's been frantically and fervently working on her house in preparation for my arrival next week. There are things she wants/needs to get done before I get there so we can do the work she thinks she needs my help on. She's been on ladders today painting the ceiling. I'm sure she'll post a detailed account, but for now the rest of you will understand why she hasn't been blogging the last few days. (There, Bec, I covered for ya.)