A Great Day!  

Posted by cokelady

Ever since I was a boy in widely tailored pants,
My only aspiration was to be a gourd who danced;
But for what it's worth, my portly girth only served to make folks giggle,
'Cause the more I moved the more I proved all I could do was jiggle...
I want to dance! I want to groove!
I want to feel the rush of the wind under my shoes...
I want to dance!!!

Gold, Milward! That's gold!!! Lyrics like that don't come along every day, I tell you. As you may have guessed, the kids and I watched A Snoodle's Tale today for the first time in a long, long time. Possibly a year or more. The Snoodle part is okay, but the Dr. Jiggle & Mr. Sly part is sooooo great--especially if you've read the original work by Robert Louis Stevenson. You can't truly appreciate all of the humor otherwise. The book comes highly recommended. Not just so you can better enjoy Veggie Tales, but because it's a great book--and the spiritual parallels are quite profound. :-)

It's been a great day around here. Started with some good all-alone time with God, which is really the only right way to start a day. The kids had breakfast while I showered, then we headed into devotions and school. Katie was in tears for the first 20 minutes of school, then got all perky and whipped through the rest of it saying, "Wow, school is great--this is so much fun!!!" ~sigh~ Sanguine-Melancholies. They wear me out. About the time she got perky is when Joe fell to pieces. He's learning to subtract double digits and regroup and is completely freaked out by it. I wouldn't push the issue (he's only 6, you know!), but he is sooooo good at math and he is totally capable of doing this. He turns the page, sees something he's never done before, and gets that frustrated look on his face and says, "This is going to be hard, isn't it?!" Only if you make it hard, kid-o! I'm looking for a school day where everybody is cheerful at the same time... Does it ever happen???

We have a rabbit. A very large rabbit. I saw it sometime last week and took note as it hopped away from the dog that it was very close to the same size as the dog. The afore mentioned dog didn't even notice the monster rodent. What good is a dog like that?! Anyway, my Mom brought up an interesting point. If the rabbit is the same size as the dog (or nearly so) and the rabbit can find a way to get in the yard, then the dog... I felt certain he couldn't escape because if it was possible he would have already done it. Nonetheless, I went out and walked the entire fence line today, looking for holes and filling possible ones with rocks. We've got such a great yard! This is the first time I've seen every inch of it and it's no wonder the kids are outside all the time--it's terrific! Back to the rabbit, I'm assuming he must've come through the gate the one night that we left it open for a few hours (we didn't know we'd be gone that long) and is now trapped in the yard. If he does have a way out, I'm sure he never would have come back. I mean, no rabbit in it's right mind would come a second time to a yard with three small children and a hyper poodle (oblivious as he may be) running amuck, so he must be stuck. Stuck or not in his right mind. Rabid, perhaps?! Ha!

Katie came and asked if I'd go jump on the trampoline with them today. We've lived here three weeks or so (although we've been gone half of that time!) and this is the first time I stepped foot on the thing. Ha! If only it were that easy! It's rather embarrassing to have your children say, "Whatcha' doing, Mom? ...Trying to get on?" I mean, shouldn't that be obvious?! Ha! This trampoline doesn't have the nifty blue cover over the springs that most of them do, so I was trying to figure out a way to get on without getting pinched. Once I finally got there (!), it was a lot of fun! Kind of reminded me of the good old days up at Papa Jerry's house in Idaho, playing Crack the Egg or something like that with Emilee and Libby and my cousin Chuck--even Tim Cox from Virginia once. It's amazing how much deeper I sink into the middle nowadays. Amazing and a little disturbing. Almost as disturbing as it was to discover my bag of "fat clothes" when we were moving. I pulled a bag with that title out of the top of my closet and began sorting through it. It was all of the clothes I wore in my post-pregnancy/pre-loose-any-weight days. I was thinking, "Oh, yeah! I remember that skirt!" and I suddenly found myself thinking, "Hey... that looks the same size as the skirts I'm wearing now!!!" Sure enough, some of those "fat clothes" fit just fine. ~sigh~ I thought I was doing pretty well, but I guess the truth is out now. Oh well. At least it's as if I have a bunch of new clothes to wear again! :-)

I got all of the laundry done today and several other projects around the house, although I can't recall them all now. I know I moved all the furniture and cleaned the floors in the living/dining room. I still haven't had the time to do the great big hands-and-kness-scrub job that it needs yet. I just keep sweeping, vacuuming, or running a mop over it! One of these days. Still, it feels better than it did before the quickie job. I even mopped the nasty kitchen floor. I hate that floor. When we moved in it was grotesque. Any time anything wet touched it it would create actual MUD. That's just wrong!!! Anyway, things are looking better around here, but I'm going to have to find a way to stay home more if I expect to get things really whipped into shape. Oh yeah, I scrubbed the bricks around the fireplace tonight, too. Used a stiff brush and just about the whole can of oven cleaner. It helped a lot, but there are still some black marks that I can't get off. I'll have to work on it some more one of these days, but I ran out of steam tonight.

I dug out three or four boxes from the garage that said "Bec's Computer" on them and pieced the thing together today. So it's up and running now. Kind of. The batteries are dead in the mouse and we don't have any extras. So I'm still using the laptop right now. But maybe by tomorrow I'll have my computer up and going again!

At lunch time I threw some Totino's in the oven and hooked my computer speakers up to the laptop, put in A Snoodle's Tale and declared it Pizza Party time. :-) We have no TV at this point, so the laptop serves nicely for those every now and again things.

The kids all got baths today. I love the mountains, but the kids (and dog!) get soooo dirty up here! Oh well. It's the price you must pay. And it's well worth it. Gotta find the motivation to bathe the dog one of these days. He stinks.

I cooked my very first real meal tonight! Wa-Hoo! Spaghetti with meat sauce, ham and cheese stromboli, and garlic cheese toast. Yum! You can tell it's been wa-a-a-a-a-ay too long since you've cooked when you have a hard time recalling the particulars of how to make spaghetti! Ha! I really did struggle. "What do I do next? And when should I start that???" It turned out GREAT though. Except the stromboli. I'm having some real troubles with this new, glorious oven of mine. I've only used it a few times (pizza, pizza, and this stromboli), but the bottom of whatever is in there gets burnt while the middle isn't quite cooked through yet. ?! Tonight it was BLACK on the bottom, but the dough wasn't done in the middle. What's the problem?! I think the temperature was correct (although I could be wrong--I was going from memory and it has been a long time!) and the rack was in the middle... ??? Help?!

After baths I sat down and played a game with the kids. "Whoonu" by Cranium. The kids seemed to really like it. I think it's great that they're getting old enough to play some games that are actually a little bit fun. I love games. :-)

That's it for the day. I guess I should try to fill you in on our trip. I don't remember much, so you're in luck! ;-)

We drove to Arizona on Thursday, found Mom & Dad and went out to eat with them and Grandma Bunny. We went back to Grandma's and visited for a little while before going to our 2 bedroom "suite" for the night. Ha! The place was... Well, let's just say it left some to be desired. I would have desired carpet that wasn't torn and stained, for starters. I won't list all of the issues. I will, however, mention the worst one: the bed. I think it's the worst bed I've ever slept on in my whole life. It was kind of like sleeping in a hammock... Made of cardboard. It had the "give" of a hammock, but the slight resistance and "crunch" of cardboard. James was already in bed the first night when I went to get into bed. I sat down and did all I could to stifle a scream as I went tumbling over into the middle of the bed, where James had already surrendered to the "hole" there. I spent the first two nights laying on my left side hanging on for dear life all night long. After that I made James trade sides with me so I could sleep on the other side and hang on with the other arm, just for a change! Ha! It was terrible. But definitely a memory!!! Gotta love those.

Friday morning was spent running around town the Dad and James and the kids, then the afternoon was spent running around with Mom and trying to help out with wedding stuff. The wedding itself was like every other: laden with stress and mishaps, fights and tears, screaming and slapping... Okay, not exactly. There were, of course, a few small hitches, but they were worked out and the wedding turned out beautiful. Grace was a beautiful bride, as we all knew she would be. It's still really weird though. This is the first KID that I've known all my life who's gotten married (at least, the first one who's wedding I've been able to attend) and it was very, very strange. Still, I'm really, really glad we were able to be there. It was a neat wedding with a little bit of everything. I laughed. I cried. It moved me, Bob. ;-) Uncle Colin even threw in the classic line, "Marriage... marriage is what brings us together today." The only thing that could have made it better is if he would have used the proper voice and pronunciation. Ha! Jake & Phil sang and played great--I was wowed all over again--and Paul sang two songs to Grace. Ah, yes. Paul. I can honestly say that in all of the weddings I've been to, I have never, ever seen a groom so completely and totally enthralled with his bride! He smiled, he cried, he trembled, he fidgeted, and he simply could not take his eyes off of her. Had I been witness to this type of behaviour for the months leading up to the wedding I would have been thoroughly disgusted (ha!), but in the wedding itself it was sooooo great! It was just sooooo fun to watch him! :-)

I was going to post a few pictures, but I figured I should wait and ask some Shuler or Alexander permission first. The bride might wanna see them first, you know! :-)

The wedding was fun and we enjoyed being with all of the friends and family for the weekend. We had a big family lunch on Saturday to celebrate Grandma Bunny's 91st birthday, so that was nice, too. I regret that we weren't able to spend any real time with Devin and Lyndi, though. Just never seemed to work out. Next wedding, maybe. Jake??? (KIDDING--I'M JUST KIDDING!)

It was great to be with Mom & Dad for the weekend, too. And we had a good service on Sunday with some folks who are possibly going to be joining the Church in the near future. :-) That's exciting! Please be praying for them. They need some teaching and training (they've been away from the Church too long, if you know what I mean!), but we have high hopes for them.

I think that's about it. As usual, it's more than enough. Right now I'm typing away while James is banging away, installing a door between the master bedroom and master bathroom. ~SMILE~ It's moments like this that I love him a whole lot!!! What kind of a moron builds a house and doesn't put a door on the bathroom?! Married or not, that's just gross!!! James is quite familiar with my feelings on the subject (I'm sure you can imagine) and is tired of getting up in the middle of the night and walking to the other end of the house to get to a bathroom. Thus, the door. It'll make him happy, it'll make me happy. What a good husband I have. :-)

I'm going to call it quits for the night. Tomorrow we're planning on doing some visiting. It's been a while since we've had a chance to do that and one of our members has been sick and needs a visit and a good prayer. So that's the plan for tomorrow morning. Hope you all have a great day!

~Becki~

This entry was posted on 8:54 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

Yep, her's was the first wedding that you made it too. ~grin~ You missed "Whitey's" wedding. I have to tell ya...I am so glad that I didn't go with that name when he was born.

As for the oven...try lowering your temperature and putting your pizzas and strombolies on the top rack rather than the middle or try cooking it for the first 5 minutes on the recommended temperature and then lowering it by 25 degrees for the remainder of the baking time. I don't know if that will make any difference, but it's worth a try.

I had your boys in mind when I inserted that part about this being the first kid wedding I've been able to ATTEND. I'm sure I would have freaked out at theirs, too. It's all just WRONG, you know?! Where do all these punks get off growing up and getting married--thus proving that we're getting OLD?! ~sigh~ It's just plain thoughtless of them. ;-)

I'll try anything and everything with the oven--thanks for the suggestions!

maybe the oven has nothing to do with you, MAYBE you got a bumb oven hmm...

You shouldn't have to do all sorts of goofy things to get the oven to work properly. READ the manual and check out the troubleshooting section.
Glad to hear you made it ON and OFF the trampoline with nobody suffering any broken appendages. ;-)
It sounds like your new house is transforming into a home. I'm sure you'll have many happy memories in your new abode. I'm looking forward to coming to see it and help you transform it a little more. Just be sure James allows me SOME time to rest and maybe work a puzzle or watch a chick flick with you while I'm there. I hear there are a couple of new movies of the "Love Comes Softly" series??? Do you have them?

I think it is especially wrong when it is kids that you babysat that have grown up and gotten married. At least they aren't making you a GRANDMA! ~giggle~ I don't feel any older than I did when they were little so...I can handle the grandma part and even look forward to it.

Hope you figure out what is going on with the oven. I also hope that you didn't get any bruises from climbing on and off the trampoline like I did climbing on and off the bunkbeds. I look like a seriously bruised banana!

Oh! BTW...you will have very special days when ALL the kids are enjoying school. Just something to look forward too.

Finally...i been waiting for this post for TOO long lady. And, just so you know, arctic circle and hi, well...we are finally well accquainted again. :)