A Screaming Meemie of Snakes  

Posted by cokelady

(Only those of you who read Pat McManus, or whose husbands read Pat McManus, can appreciate that title.)

We’ve had lots of exciting things going on since we got home, not the least of which is our snakes. Yes, snakes. In the plural. The day we got home the kids came running madly into the house declaring there was a snake in the pond. I went to investigate and, sure enough, there was a snake in the pond. A dead snake. A little snake tale was hanging out from underneath a rock, floating in the water. I jabbed it a few times with a stick and determined that it was, indeed, lifeless. What kind of a dopey snake crawls into a pond and drowns itself?! I mean, was it suicidal??? Just couldn’t cope with this cruel world anymore, or what? Weird. Anyway, nobody else was willing to touch the thing, so Sam reached in and yanked it out of the pond for me. We disposed of it and thought that was that.

In the past two or three days since then there have been two or three additional snake sightings, all in or around the pond. They’ve all been 12-18” long; just little guys. I’m not sure what kind they are, but I’m fairly certain they’re harmless. They don’t have any rattles, anyway. ;-) And they apparently like to swim, however, they’re not all very adept at it. At least that first one wasn’t. James killed another one yesterday then went out and bought some snake repellant. Can you imagine?! Who ever heard of such a thing?! Ha! Makes me think of the Batman movie (the only one we’ve ever seen is the old Batman—you know, with Adam West—“Blam!” “Ka-Pow!” “Zap!”) where a shark latches on to Batman’s leg and Robin spends the next several minutes sorting through their defensive sprays (octopus repellant, stingray repellant, jellyfish repellant) until he finally locates the trusty shark repellant, sprays the beast, and watches it drop back into the ocean and then explode. (They just don’t make movies like that anymore. Ha!) Anyway, we have had one unverified snake sighting (they are classified as unverified unless an adult gets there in time to see it, too) since the repellant was used, so we’ll see how the next few days go. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually feel kind of sorry for the little guys. If I knew them to be dangerous I wouldn’t, but as far as I know they’re perfectly harmless. I couldn’t say they’re cute, but I think it’s kind of neat to have a little, tiny snake swim across our little, tiny pond every now and then. (I saw one do that yesterday—it was cool!) If I knew that we had just one little snake I would try to make James leave him alone, but the thought of a whole crop of them out there doesn’t set well with me. Anyway, I’ll keep you updated. The kids think it’s all a great adventure and we hear screams of “SNAKE!” several times throughout the day. Often it’s nothing more than a caterpillar that caught them off guard, but they’re definitely on the look out!

This entry was posted on 9:17 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

skimed this one sorry. :op

It's okay. You already heard about it. :-)

"The only good snake is a dead snake." That's my position and I'm sticking with it!

Well, you just talked me out of ever building a pond. They killed a snake in front of the church yesterday.

Snake repellant? Wow, never knew there was such a thing. Have you seen anymore? I'm with you, I wouldn't mind one snake around especially if I got to watch it swim across the pond once in a while, but more than two would be too much.

The snake repellant seems to have done the trick. We haven't seen any of the little guys since then. Deep down I'm glad... but a part of me still wishes there was just one little one still around!