The Beginning  

Posted by cokelady

I can barely remember the beginning. It started with major house cleaning in preparation for COMPANY! Wa-Hoo! Real, live people at my very own house! ~sigh~ Life is so grand.

Emilee and the kids showed up Wednesday afternoon and we rarely saw the children from that moment on. They spent the vast majority of thier time outside running wild all over our little "mountain." James fixed his green chili enchilada thing and I fixed a "Smith" mexican dish (so named by Emilee) for dinner that night. I think we went to bed without a game or anything that night. Crazy.

Thursday was our work day at the church to get it ready for Convention. The kids played in the Sunday School room while James and Emilee and I worked on cleaning and rearranging the church. It looks soooooo much better now!

After finishing up there we went to KFC for lunch, where we assumed we were mistaken for a family of polygamists. James, two "wives" and eight small children, all arrayed in holiness garb. Ha! Some crazy lady stole our table (the kids were all sitting there, but all went to the drink machine at the same time--and she ran and sat there with her own crowd), then a few minutes later came and asked me if our baby was using the high chair. I turned around and looked at Zeke sitting in it at our table. "Um... yeah, he's sitting in it." ??? She then said something about our baby being a "big boy" and that being the only high chair in the restaurant. Had she been nicer I might have volunteered to hold Zeke and let her have the high chair, but this was the lady who just snatched our table (knowingly) and then was not-so-politely asking for the highchair, too. I assured her that we would bring the chair to her as soon as Ezekiel was finished with it. As we were getting ready to go the lady's baby fell off his chair and started crying and she came over and snatched the high chair (Emilee had just picked Zeke up) and took it to their table and slammed it down. Then they gathered their belongings and left. Didn't even use the chair, just had to make a point. Ha! Crazy people. Such are the likes of most of the folks in Albuquerque, I'm afraid. Desperately in need of God and really not so nice. It's sooooo different here in the mountains where we landed. Just 20 miles out of town, but folks are just so very friendly and helpful and obliging. It's wonderful! I have a hard time being a good Christian when I go to Albuquerque. Ha! What a terrible thing to say. I guess I should say that my sanctification is tested much more frequently. :-)

After lunch James went back to work at the church some more and Emilee and I tromped our eight children through Wal-Mart gathering up miscellaneous supplies to see us through the weekend, then Hobby Lobby to pick up some fabric so I could make a curtain to hang on the back of the piano that we'd moved up onto the stage at the church that morning. We went home and I made the curtain. That's about all I remember! That night Emilee and I ran out to Edgewood to go to Wal-Mart (twice in one day! Crazy!) and pick up a few groceries we'd forgotten on the previous trip. We also picked up a movie we were wanting to watch that night. ~sigh~ Ah, yes. A girl night at my very own house!!! It was GREAT. :-)

Friday was spent almost entirely in the kitchen in preparation for the pot-luck on Saturday. We made chocolate eclaire torte, dump cake (thanks, Em!), a three layer cake, a manderine orange jell-o thingie, a double batch of this noodly casserole thing, meatballs... hhmmm. And whatever else. James went to pick up Tim Cox from the airport, took him to the church and said, "I'm going to leave you here for a little while--I've gotta go get a toilet!" Ha! The toilet in the guest bathroom had been giving us fits, flushing only on rare occasions. We kept having to tighten and loosen something to have any chance at all--Emilee and I decided it would be much easier to have a switch installed on the wall so you could turn the toilet off and on each time you needed it! Anyway, we had told Brother Tim that we bought a house to remodel and hadn't gotten much done yet. I can only imagine what he thought when he heard that James was going to buy a toilet! He probably figured we had an outhouse for now or something. Ha! Ha!

Okay, I hate to cut it off there, but I think I'm done for the night. My brain feels fried. Next time I'll pick up where I left off and tell you all about Youth Convention. Until then, this OLD news will just have to do. :-)

Later!

~Rebekah~

This entry was posted on 9:48 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

6 comments

HA! I totally forgot about the rude lady at KFC. And I was telling Jon about our "polygamist family" just yesterday! :-) Good times. You forgot to tell about the kids walking single file at Wal-Mart and all the stares we received!

And the toilet...HA! HA! HA! I forgot about that too. It's a good thing we both blogged. Between the two of us we got the whole story.

Can't wait to see some more trampoline pictures!

Good to hear from you. I have missed reading your blog. It sounds as if you had a wonderful time.

I am looking forward to trampoline pictures too. Between you and Em I am sure there will be some great ones.
Wow, how rude with the lady at KFC. Huge change from Andrews, she needs salvation.
I had to laugh at the poligamist thing in Wal mart. It made me think about what Sam and Dustin looked like when we all walked across the street one day from our Hotel to Village inn. It was two guys, 4 women and 10 kids. Haley was running yelling "viva la compound" lol we laughed and laughed.
I guess we really should not joke about that. Those people are hurting and going to hell, it is just fun to joke around. looking forward to the rest of your story.

I meant to put a Y in Polygamist not an I sorry

I heard a good devotion on rude people the other day. I will have to share later.

Hhmmm... who are you referring to as "rude people," Kasey? Me or the other lady?! Ha! I tried real hard to be sweet and pleasant throughout the whole thing, just so you know. ;-) In any case, if you have something you think might help, send it on! :-)