The Bestest Birthday!  

Posted by cokelady

I was awakened yesterday just after 7:00 by three very excited and boisterous children bursting into our bedroom screaming “HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!!!” They brought me a present, too: a gift bag full of pictures they had drawn for me. They stayed in the room chattering incessantly for several minutes and finally started hollering, “Come on, Mom! Get up! It’s your birthday!!! Come make us breakfast!” I told them that’s not really the way it’s supposed to work! Ha! Oh well. Cereal isn’t too much work, so I can’t complain. ;-) It was great to have such a cheerful wake-up call.

I had a nice, relaxing morning. James took off to Odessa for the day, so the kids and I just kind of hung out. I did some light cleaning and then called Tammy to see if she wanted to come join us for Totino’s pizzas for my birthday. Too late! She was calling me to see if she could bring me a Frito Wrap and a Cherry-limeade with extra cherry flavoring. :-) Perfect! I made Totino’s for the kids and let them sit in the den and watch Davy Crockett again (!) while Tammy and I enjoyed our Sonic feast over a friendly game of Eternal Rummy in the kitchen. Fun! And I increased my lead considerably. ;-)

When she left after a couple of hours I put the kids down for a nap, then grabbed a crossword puzzle book and got to work on it. I can’t even remember the last time I did that! When I was pregnant with Katie, James got me a monthly subscription to Dell or whoever it is that makes all of those crossword books. I used to breeze through them pretty quickly, but once the kids arrived that all ended! In fact, I just looked and found that I still have two untouched books (plus the one I’m working on now) from that same subscription 7 years ago! Ha! So anyway, it was great to be able to loaf around and enjoy something I love to do but rarely take the time for anymore! :-)

The kids got up from their nap… well, two of them did. Sam was such a crab he had to be sent back to bed two or three times before he was happy enough to join the rest of the family. In the meantime, I played a couple rounds of Memory with Katie and Joe. I love that game. Wiped up on ‘em good this time. ;-)

It had been a grand and glorious day—just sooooo nice and relaxing. The perfect birthday! Then James came home and it all ended. Ha! Doesn’t that sound terrible?! It’s true! He came home and was just kind of creepy—enough to get me good and mad and I just couldn’t figure out why on earth he was being so insensitive and careless on my birthday. My 30th birthday, no less! (My mother has since informed me that it’s impossible to have a 30th birthday without an emotional crash of some sort. She should know!) James had told me early in the day that he was going to be taking me out for dinner. After being jerky, he told me that we’d go out at 6:00 and then promptly left the building. He went and hid in is office for the next couple of hours and I didn’t see him again until it was time to leave. Very strange, indeed. Why would he pick a fight with me on my birthday, be all creepy, walk away with no real attempt to make things better, then show up at 6:00 and act as if everything is okay?! We loaded up and headed out. We drove past Western Grill, the only steakhouse in town. “Hhmmm. They’re busier than I thought they’d be tonight,” James said. I glanced at the parking lot. Practically empty. Then he looked down the road to my favorite sandwich shop, Cassidy’s. “They’re really busy tonight, too.” It all started falling into place then. He was trying to act as if we were going no place in particular, but it was becoming increasingly evident that he was making a bee line. Somewhere. We pulled into the parking lot of Mi Pueblo and I scanned the parking lot. (Consequently, this restaurant was busier than the other two mentioned.) Sure enough, I saw Sam & Tammy’s car. By this time I was hoping it was just a coincidence, but was afeared (yes, I meant to say that) otherwise! Tammy is not the kind of friend to let a “big” birthday pass unnoticed. But what terrible timing! Now I was even more mad at James than before!!! What a creep to get me all worked up before taking me to a birthday party where I would have to act happy in front of other people!!! Ha!

I didn’t have to act for long. It was so fun!!! I can’t even remember the last time I had a real birthday party. Probably when I was a teenager and lived near Tammy!!! (I finally figured out that James had been in on the plot all along, of course, and figured it would be easiest to keep the secret if he was gone for most of the day, then had me mad at him for the rest of it. After we left the restaurant he apologized profusely, but was chuckling the whole time. Creep. But I couldn’t help but forgive him—it had turned into such a great day after all!) Aunt Sue and Uncle Jerry were at the restaurant, too, and there were a bunch of balloons tied to the chair at the head of the table—and a huge gift basket stuffed with all kinds of great things! Wow!!!

We had a nice visit over dinner, then Tammy whipped out The Poky Little Puppy, my favorite book from childhood, and read it to me. I had a hard time seeing the pictures though because of my snoopy kids. The little twerps. ;-) (My Dad had me sit on his lap while he read it to me on my 16th birthday, too. I think I see a pattern developing!) Then it was present time!

The card said that they wanted to give me some of my favorite things from years gone by. The contents of the gift basket were: a box of Apple Jacks, a packet of tuna (Tammy and I usually eat that when we get together), a can of tuna (a reminder of the time I tried to open a can of it with the kitchen faucet instead of with the can opener), pictures of John Elway and Ed McCaffrey and even some homemade “stationary” with them on it (ah, what glorious years those were!), a cherry coke (always a favorite of mine), a glass bottle of Coke (never better than straight from the bottle!), a Garfield coloring book (loved Garfield; loved to color), a puzzle of the United States (loved learning about the states; loved puzzles—still do!), some western scrapbooking accents (I’ve always loved western stuff; love to collect scrapbooking supplies, although I seldom use them! Ha!), a picture of me when I was 11 with my springer spaniel, Champion (“the dog you loved to hate”), strawberry Cream Savers candies, a packet of gourmet hot cocoa from Sue’s store, a box of Nerds, a box a fruit roll-ups (what Karen Otterbacher used to get for us for a pounding because everybody else got “practical” things and she knew my Mom never bought junk like that!), and a little photo album filled with pictures of great memories from the past 15 years or so. Wow!!! It was sooooooooo amazing!!! Tammy declares it’s not the case, but I know her well enough to know that the entire event was about 95% her doing. She is soooooooooo thoughtful. She called several people to ask for help remembering some of my favorites from way back when and I know she worked hard to put everything together. Thank you, Tammy—you’re the best friend anybody could ever ask for and I love you!!! Aunt Sue helped out a lot, too, I’m sure. I recognized her handiwork in the wrap-job--balloons, ribbons and basket from Willow Creek. Oh! Willow Creek! I also got a $25 gift certificate from Aunt Sue’s store, Willow Creek! Of course, I noticed that the expiration date said “24 hours” so I think I’m out of luck. Ha!

Anyway, #30 was one of the very best birthdays I’ve ever had. In actuality, I can recall very few of my birthdays through the years, but this one I will never forget! Oh, after the gift basket there was another bag to be opened: denture cleanser and muscle rub cream. Again, Tammy is so thoughtful. ;-) Sam was asking if I would share it with him—he’s “Mr. 4-0” (that’s what Katie calls him), you know, and needs it even worse than I do. :-)

Hhmmm… what am I forgetting??? Sister Patsy and her son and daughter showed up for the party, too, so that was nice! Tammy had also made a chocolate cake, so we had that after our meal. (I had made a chocolate cake of my own earlier, so the kids and I had some of that for breakfast today!) When we left the restaurant Sam and Tammy came over to the house to play games for a while. The perfect ending to the perfect day. (Perfect all except for a creepy husband intentionally getting me mad so I wouldn’t suspect anything!) They brought a poem from my Dad that Mom had e-mailed to them earlier in the day. I can’t explain it, so I’ll just share it:


Bucky, My Aging Daughter

One score and ten years ago
My wife gave birth to an Eskimo
Or so by our daughter’s looks it appeared
With her black hair, round face, and dark eyes--weird!

We wondered how a Texan and Bohemian conceived
Such a contradiction, but were at last relieved,
When her features changed to a more expected view,
(Except for her double-extra large shoe).

There was one other thing that knocked us flat,
After having such a good little boy – our girl was a brat!
Never had we seen such a temper in a child,
She would kick and scream, as her fury went wild.

Her spirit was stubborn and impossible to control,
Our sanctification was challenged by this little troll!
No wonder they make cribs with bars like a jail,
It’s the only hope for parents to prevail!

I’m telling this story all on the level,
That little girl was just a little ---(hard to get along with)
If “terrible two’s” are what children go through,
This little terror went through ten times two.

We worried and fretted, wondering what we should do,
The rod of chastisement simply could not subdue.
Then at last we thought of a wonderful plan,
We asked God to help (duh), then a change began.

Let no one tell you God doesn’t answer prayer,
For as we prayed, we came out of despair.
God changed her spirit and this little “hood”
Turned into a new girl, she actually became “good”!

(Not perfect mind you, but certainly much better.
God cast most of the brat out of her, but not all.)

This daughter grew up and became our pride and joy,
And about the time she was near perfect, along came a boy.
He was a prince of a man, perhaps you’ve heard of his name,
And may have read his Bible, It’s called the King ____ (just kidding).

So married they were and off they went,
Leaving her mother and I to sit and lament.
(Rotten, good for nothing children! They are not worth the trouble--years spent in training them up and all at once they abandon you, just when they finally learn to do the dishes!)

But then they brought a real treat into our lives
The kind that brings great joy to husbands and wives
Along came Katie, and Joe and Sambo
Miss prissy, and mosey, and a little Rambo.

Now that changes everything and we now have new light,
Children aren’t really so bad, they’re really alright.
So long as they bring the grandkids along
They can visit us often and stay all day long.

Now Bucky is older, yes much older indeed,
Yes Bucky is older, yes much older indeed!

(O, I already said that. But who would have thought she would turn thirty years old, 'cause thirty is old and I mean really, really old! I mean that’s like one year old, thirty times, or 3 years old ten times. Old, old, Old. Any body got a dime? More grapes please.) (--I realize he lost most of you with the dime and grapes, but for those who know, it's hilarious!

Ok Becky, it’s like this. Mom asked me to write this poem today. It takes me weeks to finish a good poem. That’s why I have now resorted to rambling. I will try one last stanza.

But really I’m thankful and this is no joke,
Cause she likes Twilight Zone and Gunsmoke!
(Hey, it rhymes, and anyhow I’m tired). Let me start again.
Becky, you are the greatest daughter any parent could ever ask for. Your love, prayers, and counsel have been God sent. I do not know what I would have done without you, James, and the kids since mom and dad went to heaven. I love you more than words can say. Thanks for always being there, for the love, and prayers, and hugs, and support. I hope I can be as good a dad as you are a good and godly daughter. Have a great 30th.

Dear O’ Dad

Personally, I think he spent way too much time on the “troll” years of my life and then skipped too quickly to when I got married. From what I’ve heard, I was only a monster child for the first two or three years. From that point on I was very nearly perfect. Or something like that. ;-) Anyway, this poem was the bestest gift of all. Dad has always had a special hold on my heart, and always will. He still has the distinct ability to make me laugh—or cry—like no one else can do. All my life it has felt like he held my heart in his hands. I’ve always liked it that way. It feels like such a safe place to be. :-) I trust and pray that my own little girl will grow up with the same adoration and trust and respect for her own Dad. There is no relationship like that of a father and daughter. Such an amazing thing. Even (and maybe especially) if he calls you a troll. ;-)

Sam and Tammy and I enjoyed one of the best game nights we’ve ever had—we were all neck and neck (and neck?) at the very end and Tammy finally managed to squeeze into the lead by 100 points in the last round. Sam had been winning throughout the entire game, but came in dead last when it was all said and done. What could be better than that?! And I could truly rejoice in Tammy’s victory, too—she deserved it after all of her hard work to give me such a terrific birthday! ~sigh~ Bestest birthday of all time??? Very likely! Add those fantastic cards from Emilee from the day before and I feel plumb spoiled. ;-)

That’s it for now. It’s back to normal life today. With lots of fond remembrances of a really fantastic 30th birthday! I am soooooo blessed.

~Rebekah~

P.S.—I didn’t know there was to be a party, so I didn’t have my camera with me. Sam had his with him and took a couple of shots, but hasn’t sent them to me yet. I had him take this one of me with the basket-o-stuff…and my happy socks that make my happy shirt even happier than it already was. :-)

This entry was posted on 10:32 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

10 comments

WOW! What a great birthday poem and all! Those guys! I don't know why they like to get us mad on our birhday. hee hee

Alright! I'm glad to hear how the game night went. :-) I'm so happy you ended up having a good 30th. One of your Dad's poems will fix things right up,won't they? ;-) I knew that would be your most favorite present.

Sounds like a truly fantastic 30th birthday! Tammy is sooooo great! I'm glad she's around for you to do special things with (or make things special).

Glad you like the cards!

I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday. Tammy is so sweet. How sneaky of James to do that to you. lol. I also liked the poem from your dad that is so sweet.

Rebekah--did your dopey husband pull the same thing on you on your birthday?!?!?

Mom--poetry is an amazing thing. Especially when the poet writes in the very rare style which Dad chooses! Ha!

Emilee--It WAS a fantastic 30th. I hope yours is just as good. Next year, is it??? And again, I LOVE THE CARDS!!!

Sister Pam--I agree. Tammy is sweet, James is a creep (my words, not yours... but I'm sure that's what you meant! Ha!), and Dad's poem is the bestest. :-)

Yes he did. Completely ignored me etc all day and I KNEW he was doing it on purpose. If he does it again next year, he'll be dead meat! haa haa (I'm kidding) :)

What a slimeball! But, as terrible as it sounds, I guess I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one married to one of those! Ha!

Anonymous  

Hey, sorry I missed the party. The least they could have done was to dress up in Broncos jerseys and hats and present you with an autographed photo of John Elway, signed, "to Becki, for standing by me through all of those disappointing years, knowing that there'd be a Super Bowl in there somewhere."

Throw in some IBC root beer and elk pizza, cooked by your mom, and the night would have been perfect (oh, wait, that was MY favorite).

Man, I always miss the all the good parties. Now I feel like a heel, because I didn't even send a card (Melissa really made me look bad, I know).

Glad you had a great one! ...and glad that I'm in good company as a dopey husband and a real creep to boot. I wonder how Bro. Sam rates in that category. Maybe the three of us could start a club and share ideas about how to infuriate our wives on their birthdays. *smile*

No, Sam waits to until their anniversary to pull that stunt. That puts him up into the next bracket on the slime scale. Being a guy I'm sure you'll take that as a challenge and promptly resolve to be a jerk to your wife on her birthday AND on your anniversary next year. Guys and their egos, I tell you. Just can't bear to be outdone in ANYTHING, can you?!

Tammy took care of most of the great birthday stuff. I was really counting on YOU for that autographed Elway picture. And it would have been signed, "To my adoring fan, Becki: Thanks for so many years of dedicated support--you're the reason I kept plugging away and finally won the big one. It was all for you! So from me--and all of Denver--THANK YOU. Much love and appreciation, #7." Or something like that. ;-)

I'll gladly have Mom's homemade elk pizza and IBC root beer for my next big birthday if you'll RSVP in enough time to let us know you'll be there. How 'bout #40? Or maybe we could do it on YOUR 40th--since you're so much closer to it than I am. :-)

Love ya, Jay!

Great poem. I am glad the b-day went well!