What Life is All About  

Posted by cokelady

I just walked past Katie's room and she's laying in bed reading the Bible. She asked me to look up a few of her favorite passages for her to be able to read (former memory verses and such), then I had her read John 1:1-14 to me. I've always loved that passage and it's a good "starter" section. She read right thought it with no trouble at all (and people say the King James Version is just too difficult!) and, best of all, she was soooooooo excited. Not about the fact that she was reading, but what she was reading. Reading about Jesus being the Word and being the Light and that he was "made flesh, and dwelt among us...that men, through him, might be saved." She was loving it. It makes a Mom's heart burst with joy to see her kids taking such joy in the things of God. There's just nothing better in all the world!
Been a good day around here, over all. I haven't been feeling well for a few days now and it's really slowed down my progress. But God's been helping me and I was more productive today than the previous few days, so that's good. I finally started chipping away at that mountain in my den. I figured if I moved the ironing mess into the den it would motivate me to get it taken care of more than if it's all hidden away in the utility room. I'm smart like that. HA. It just means the den has been trashed since last night.
Katie just came to me. She had instructions to read until 9:30 (she had a long and late nap this afternoon, thus the extended bedtime), then turn her lamp off and go to sleep. She just appeared next to me and said, "It's 9:30, Mom. Have you prayed with me yet?" OOPS. Forgot that part. :-/ It's taken care of now though!
Let's see... Sam got real excited the other day while we were driving and started hollering, "Mountains! I see mountains, Mom!" I looked to see what he could possibly be referring to. Big mounds of fill dirt piled on a construction site. Made my heart break for my poor Texan children! That's the closest thing there is to a "mountain" in hundreds of miles!
Then there's Joe. He was looking at the sky as we were driving that day and finally said, "Mom, if I could get in a hot aiw bawwoon I'd go up so high I could touch the cwouds. Then I'd eat 'em wike mashed potatoes. That's what they wook wike, you know." Leave it to Joe. Other kids see dinosaurs or ducks in the clouds or the Starship Enterprise, or alligators... Joe sees mashed potatoes. That kid loves to eat. Especially since that month long training session on learning to appreciate foods other than chicken and peanut butter!
Okay, so to be totally honest, I didn't put a very big dent in Mount Ironing. I should go start chipping away again. ~sigh~ I'm going to beat this thing yet, you just wait! But it's not going to happen in Blogland, so I'm leaving now. More later!

~Bec~

This entry was posted on 8:25 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

7 comments

Wow Becki...you are so right...that's what it's all about! Reading about Katie reading the Bible made this Mom's heart swell and her eyes tear up a little. ~~You're doing such a good job training your children.~~

Poor Sam...maybe I should send him a picture of REAL mountains! Ours are getting snow this weekend.

HA! Mashed potato clouds...gotta love Joe!

I'm still not use to going outside and seeing mountains. Our mountains got snow on them today and they say that when they get covered in snow then in about two weeks we'll have snow- thats so not cool but oh well

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth" (3 Jn. 1:4). HOW TRUE!!! Other Moms and Grandmas can continue to boast that their children are doctors, nurses, lawyers, judges, mayors, or highly paid professions of all sorts, but my GREATEST JOY is knowing that my children and grandchildren are living their lives to please the Lord. NOTHING else is important! NOTHING else will matter 100 years from now. I thank God for my 4 wonderful children who are raising my 8 wonderful grandchildren in the ways of the Lord. PRAISE GOD!!!

Too precious and wonderful for words. Right after we moved to Guam, while living in the motel, we went to check on the boys, in their room, because they were so quiet. We found them sitting in the floor, backs against the bed and Jeremy reading to Darren from his brand new Bible and then trying to explain to Darren what it meant. I stood in the doorway with tears streaming down my face, silently thanking God.

With God's help, I know that you will continue to train them up in the way they should go. Give'em hugs for me.

Awww.... that made me cry. It's a humbling thing for God to entrust the care of a little soul to you. I have heard so many people say something like, "How can you bring a child into a world like this?" But it's God that opens and closes the womb and this is the biggest and greatest job that's ever been given to me. With His help I'll do my best to train my child up in the way that she should go. Thanks for the encouragement.

Aww, Becky. How wonderful!!! I can't wait until Jackson gets to the age when we can talk to him more about how wonderful our God is. As of right now, we are trying some things. When we sit down to eat and say, "Let's pray," he always smiles real big and holds out his hands to both of us. We have started holding hands when we pray because of our sweet little guy. It's pretty neat how even at such a young age, he's helping to encourage the spirituality even more in our home.

That's so sweet! I'm no where's near being a mother cause it's gonna be a while before I even think about marriage but I've got Maggie. My prayer is, is that she always put the Lord first. She's gotten to the point now (she'll be 2 in Oct.) that when Liz walks out of her room at night after she puts her in the bed she says, "Momma" and Liz will turn around and she have her hands put together ready to pray. Children are a wonderful gift of God!!

And by the way! I LOVE YOUR BACKGROUND!!!!!!!!! It's so cool! One of these days you need to drop in and see me and show me how to do something like that.