How Long Has it Been This Time?!  

Posted by cokelady

I keep meaning to write every other day or so, but it just keeps not working out!

I feel like we hit the schooling hard and heavy this past week. I feel like that, but when I stop to think about it we went to the Fair on Monday and then took Friday off to spend with Aunt Sue and Uncle Jerry. We didn't do school on Saturday either, so that means we only had 3 days of school this week! I'm sure it feels that way because we're covering so many more subjects than the kids are used to. And I have this nifty little schedule worked out that--if we were actually able to follow it--would enable us to be done with school by noon each day. On the three days that we DID do school this past week we didn't finish up until 2 or 3 o'clock! I discovered that the math book we got for Joe is a little too much for him right now. I have to remind myself that although he's a smart kid and a FANTASTIC reader and speller, he IS only 6 years old! He's good at math, but not ready for the 3rd and 4th grade stuff I was asking him to do. It was frustrating for him and me both, so I decided to put it aside for a while and just work on basic addition with him each day until it's deeply engrained in that little brain of his. :-) In any case, it's quite an adjustment for the kids AND ME to be doing school well into the afternoon. We're not used to it at all and I think they're probably handling it better than I am! I feel like I'M going to run away and join the circus if things don't get a little easier around here! Ha!

Before I forget, here's a picture of Joe and "The Big 22 Incher" from Monday. :-)



Don't remember a thing specifically about Tuesday, except school. Wednesday was more of the same, but come 4:00 it was time for the kids' first horse riding lesson! Wa-Hoo!!! Before anybody has a chance to comment, let me just say, "I KNOW--IT'S SOOOOOO STUPID TO HAVE TO WEAR A HAT LIKE THAT TO RIDE A HORSE!!!" It just drives me crazy, but "it's the law." ~sigh~ Anyway, here are a few pictures of the kids enjoying their first spin on "Secret."

Miss Katie



Mosey Joe





And even Sam got to ride! That wasn't in the plan, but we had a few extra minutes at the end of the lesson--and the lady is just charging us a flat rate per hour instead of for each individual kid, so wa-hoo! :-) In case you're wondering, the lady was having them practice riding without holding on to anything so they can get the feel of the horse and learn to balance properly. Amazingly enough, Sam did the very best. He was just real natural up there and seemed to have a ball doing it! Ha!





The kids got to feed Secret and this horse, Tango, some carrots after the lessons. They did good and seemed to have a whole lot of fun, so we've got Lesson #2 scheduled for this next Wednesday. :-)



Here are some pictures of school time at the Horne home. We'll start with Miss Love-School-Can-I-Do-More-In-My-Maps-&-Geography-Book-Please...



Joe is... well, let's just say he's never quite as enthusiastic about school as his sister is. And yes, he's been sent to Principle Dad several times. ;-)

And aaaaaaaawwwww! Idn't he sweet looking?! All of your recommendations solved my School vs. Sam dilemma! (At least for one day! Ha!) I'm not sure what exactly he made... it started out as a train picture, but he got a little carried away! Oh well. He had a blast and it kept him still and quiet for a long, long time and enabled the others to have some peace and quiet for their own schooling.

Our other big project of the week was... (DRUM ROLL!!!) Getting an office for James! Wa-Hoo!!! *Streamers waving in the wind* *Confetti floating down from the sky* *Noise-makers sounding merrily* *People dancing in the streets and hugging complete strangers* ~SIGH~ It makes me soooooo happy! Our marriage has been SAVED!!! Ha! James NEEDS a place to go to be alone. And sometimes I NEED a place to send him! Ha! Ha! This two-bedroom house just doesn't lend itself to much privacy, you know?! Anyway, the "office" won't actually be an office for a good while yet, but just seeing it out the back window gives me hope that it may one day serve it's true intended purpose. :-)


We had a little lean-to in the back yard for firewood, but it happened to be in the perfect location for the office. Naturally! So James disassembled it, gave some of the wood to the boys to hammer on (one of their favorite pastimes) and saved what was salvageable. And here we have the work in progress, roof and back wall already gone...


And here is the vacant spot where it used to be...


And here we have what will be James' office! Cute, hu?! I know, I know--it's a little... wee, shall we say?! Ha! It's much smaller than his office in Andrews, but sometimes ya' gotta do whatcha' gotta do. :-) I keep thinking of the office that Dad had when we lived in Howard. Mom had this nice, spacious office/sewing room... and next door was Dad's little closet of an office! Ha! James' little joint is 10'x12'. That's got to be bigger than what Dad had! Actually... it's probably about the size of what Dad has right NOW, hu, Mom?! Anyway, it's totally unfinished on the inside--just studs--so James will have some work ahead of him.

It's actually a Tuff-Shed and the dudes came out and slapped the thing up in just a couple of hours. James, always the one to store away information that he'll be able to use later on, planted himself next to the back window and watched the entire process thinking all the while, "Wow, I could have done this myself." But, of course, now that he's watched somebody else do it he knows HOW to do it and will no doubt tackle it unassisted next time around. :-)

This is Joe enjoying "recess." (I call recess for my sake as much as the kids'! Ha!) Katie helps him get up his speed and off he goes! Oh yeah--James bought this bike for Joe this week. It had a problem of some sort, so he got it 50% off. Joe was really, really excited--especially when he saw that the bike says "COBRA" on it!



Sue & Jerry surprised us with a visit this past weekend! They were on their way home from a camping trip and stopped over on Thursday night. Friday morning we all got up and started driving up the mountain. James took us to the Tinkertown Museum. (Don't laugh, Dustin & Jamey--didn't we say our trip with you was our first and last there?!) Tinkertown was built buy a guy who apparently devoted his entire life to carving little figures and scenes...and collecting every possible article of JUNK known to man. Really, he must've been a really strange character. There is some really neat stuff there... and there is some really weird stuff there! Anyway, here are the boys checking out some of the miniatures.

We spent a decent amount of time at the museum because... well, because Uncle Jerry was with us and things ALWAYS move pretty slow when he's around! Ha! He's a slo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ow moving guy. He's also a very curious guy and likes to take his time learning and inspecting things. We're lucky we got him out of a place like Tinkertown at all! Ha! SO MANY things to see and think about!

Once we left there we drove up to the top of Sandia Peak. I think the elevation is somewhere around 11,000' or something. It usually has a really great view--you can look straight down on Albuquerque and see the entire city. But it was a wee bit cloudy while we were there! Actually, I enjoyed the clouds as much or more as I would've enjoyed seeing the city. I just wish the pictures would show the DEPTH that you could see in real life. It's so cool to be above the clouds and looking down at them. And they were moving so fast--almost sliding up and over the mountain. It was very cool!

Cooler yet is that THIS is what was straight above us! A patch of perfectly blue western skies--surrounded by thick clouds EVERYWHERE ELSE! :-) It was so neat.

This is Joe trying to check out the view. Uncle Jerry wasn't very much help. ;-)



After the peak we drove on down into Albuquerque. We had lunch at Furr's, making James, Uncle Jerry and Joe pretty happy campers. We took them out to show them the Petroglyphs just because we couldn't think of what else to do! Uncle Jerry, true to his nature, was pretty skeptical about them truly being 3,000 years old like the sign said. A critic in every crowd. He can't just look at an etching of a dude on a unicycle and take it for what it's worth, you know?! Oh well. If he didn't enjoy the drawings, at least he enjoyed the view.

We came back to the house and I fed everybody a fantastic dinner of ham sandwiches. Actually, I can't even take credit for that--Aunt Sue supplied the ham! Ha! I am SUCH a bad hostess!!! Aunt Sue kept trying to teach Joe how to get started on his bike (he can ride once he gets going, but getting going is still a problem for him) and she finally just grabbed the bike so she could SHOW him...



You can always count on a few good laughs from Aunt Sue. ;-) We had a really good time with them and I'm sooooo glad they decided to stop and spend a day or two. We were all pretty wiped out after our adventuresome day, so we called it a night pretty early. Sue & Jerry were turkey's and took off without saying goodbye the next morning. ~sigh~ Early risers. I tell ya'. ;-)

The kids and I started our Saturday with a Muppet Show, just because it seemed like the thing to do. :-) We finally got going and ended up having a really nice no-school day. I had plenty to catch up on and stayed busy throughout the day. So busy, in fact, I totally forgot about lunch! James had taken Joe to Wal-Mart with him and they ate while they were out, but Katie and Sam and I were just occupied doing other things and never thought about it. There's NO WAY lunch would be overlooked if Joe was around! Ha! Anyway, James made us fajitas for dinner--they were really good! What a guy!!! :-) I made all of the kids take their baths, then I got caught up on all of the ironing while we all watched The Asparagus of La Mancha and Sheerluck Holmes. Put the kids to bed and got to work on my WMB service.

We had really good services today, this morning's service at Sister Grimes' house and this evening's at Sister Galaviz's. Sister Grimes' daughter, Pat, has been in several services with us since we lost the church building because we've been using their house a lot! And she seems to be loving it and wanting more. Praise the Lord!!! What a small price it would be to pay--if we were to lose that building, but see Pat saved! God knows what He's doing. Pat cooked dinner for us after service and we had a good visit with her and her mom. We really, really like both of them--they are quite the pair! Both have plenty to say and you never have to wonder how they feel about an issue! Ha! Sister Grimes is somewhere around 80 years old, I think, and she reminds me of the Grandma on the Garfield Christmas special--she is just soooooo funny! What a neat lady--and she always has such a good spirit. Never has a negative word to say about anybody.

My WMB service went well tonight, I thought. I talked about Juan Ponce de Leon and the search for the Fountain of Youth--and how people are still searching for it today in one way or another. That, of course, led us to the living water that Jesus can give us, a well springing up into everlasting life. I never really know how my services go over, I just know the ones that I enjoy preparing and this was one of them for me. :-) I know the Lord really blessed in our worship and prayers and there were lots of good comments.

Tomorrow, it's BACK TO SCHOOL!!! Pray for us. ;-) And if anybody thinks of any more ideas on how to keep things running smoothly, I'm sooooooo open to them! :-)

This entry was posted on 10:40 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

12 comments

Good post Bec. The pictures are fun. I think it is a good thing that Katie is wearing something to protect her head, just in case she does fall off. You will be happy she is wearing that hat. katie is pretty clumsy you know, she could just fall over anytime. :.) Katie looks so grown up in that picture of her doing school.
Yea for James office, I am surprised he did not just put it up himself, he could have.
Joe looks great on a bike and Sam does look like a natural on the horse.

Love the pictures of everyone. I'm glad Bro. James has a office. I would do anything right now for a place to call my own space away from my schoolers. Sara is 21 and in college and Aaron is fifteen. They still aggravate and play when they are suppose to be studing/schooling. :) The service sounded very good. Wish I could have listened in.

I can always count on you for pictures, you're the BEST! Beautiful horse but they need a ball and bat with that crazy batters hat. Snakes, that's just WRONG. I love the overseer watching the "Tuff Shed" go up. Is the regional electrician coming to run power?

Enjoyed the pictures:) I finally remembered or figured out my blogging password so I guess I don't have to post under "anonymous" any longer. But I have not changed my blog in who knows how long, so I may do so.

Glad Brother James is getting a office that is wonderful. It is very helpful that is for sure.

Well God bless.

Hey BTW I wish I could still install floors but because of my back/neck problems I cant. I just have to deal with all of our complaining employees.
It is a pretty easy floor to install I did not see where you said how big it was but looking at the pictures of the boxes I assume it is about 220 sq. ft.
I can tell you some of the most important things to look for that can prevent problems with who ever installs it. If you decide to do it yourselves I could really help y'all with information if James has any construction experience.
Let me know when someone is going to install the floor and I will email James the main things you need to make sure is done correctly.
May God bless you all:)

Great post, Bec. Good pictures, as always. And it's so nice to hear from the Washington Okie (love the title) and Brother Kevin! That's a rare treat, huh?

well sister Smith I miss the whole Blogging community:)
It is good to hear what is going on with everyone.

Send our love to Brother Smith we love yall!

Kevin and Danielle Fearer

Okay, so I never wore the helmet thing when I was growing up on horses. But a lot of the professional cowboys who ride bulls are wearing them now, just to be safe. So, its a good thing :) Also, the horse they are riding has really kind eyes. A thoroughbred? You can tell alot about a horse (in my opinion) by their eyes.

Tammy -- You're probaby right. Katie is SUCH a klutz. Still, it's sooooo stupid to have to wear a helmet on a horse! As for the office, I have no doubt that James will put the next one up himself. Of course, I hope there never has to BE a "next one!"

Sister Marcia -- It's great to know that my kids will never grow out of the goofing-off-when-they're-supposed-to-be-working thing. Thanks a lot for that little bit of info. Ha!

Raymone -- It's SO GOOD to hear from you on my little ole' blog! I'll keep on posting pictures if you'll keep on commenting, okay? :-) And I truly hope that the regional electrician will be coming to help out with the new office sometime down the road. I'll just have to plan a vacation for me during that little slot of time. Ha!

Brother Kevin -- We would LOVE some advice from somebody who knows something about floors! James is a pretty handy guy (I'm so blessed!), but we've entered into a couple of areas that we have no experience in whatsoever--flooring being one of them! Your estimate was pretty close, by the way. The guy who measured our floor figured 240 sq. ft. or something like that. :-)

Mom -- Yes, it is so cool to have a couple of new/old commenters here! Wa-Hoo! :-)

Kasey -- So good of you to stop by! The helmet thing drives me crazy (it's just not right, you know?!), but we don't seem to have a choice. Better to ride a horse with a dopey helmet than to not ride at all, right?! "Secret" is a thoroughbred, a former race horse, actually. He is extremely sweet natured and very good with the kids, if a bit lazy. (I think he must've run himself out in his younger days! Ha! He has NO interest in running at this stage in his life.) He's a very mild natured horse and a great one for the kids to learn on. Even with a dopey helmet. ;-)

I will be glad to help in any way that I can and give you some information soon here.

I have finally added a new post on my blog can you believe it? I cant:)

God Bless.

Hey Lady! It's really not fair for you to come to my blog and gripe because I haven't blogged in a week. We have no idea when you've blogged because you don't have dates on your posts! :-) And if all your going to do is come and gripe on my blog, I'm going to block you and you'll never know what's going on! So there! HA!! :-)

Love the pictures of your kids on the horse. That is soo cool! Abbie would absolutely love it. She's just recently developed a real like for horses.

Your snakes are much bigger than ours. Caleb caught another one yesterday and kept saying it was bigger than the others. I finally looked at it this morning...it's just BARELY bigger. Crazy kid!

Ah yes...my favorite pictures are of James sitting at the window watching the building being delivered and Aunt Sue on Joe's bike. Too much!

How's school going these days? Loved Sam's project. Looks like he had a good time.

Thanks for sharing your lives with us, even if it is sproadic! :-) The sharing, that is, not your lives.

Ha! I know, I know--it drives me crazy that my posts don't have the date on them right now (just "undefined, undefined, undefined"!!!), but I liked the template so much that I wanted to stick with it for a while. Besides, everybody else has discovered those great template sites you sent me and seems to be whipping through new templates like lightning, making me far less inspired to select a new one that somebody else has already been using or will slap up the day after mine!

Anyway, if the griping gets results then I fully intend to keep griping. :-) And I don't think you'd really block me out of your blog.

Would you?!?!? ;-)

I just showed my kids the snake picture on your blog and they were SOOOOO excited to know that their cousins have been catching snakes, too. They can't wait to get together with them and discuss all of the particulars!

Just so you know, our lives are just as sporadic as my blogging. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by! I'll try to stop by your place again soon. (I have a feeling we frequent each other's blogs regularly, we just don't say so! Ha!) :-)