Short One... I Hope!  

Posted by cokelady

Today. Hhmmm. English muffins with strawberry-rhubarb jam for breakfast, devotions with the kid-o's, school, and some phone calls and addressing of a whole slew of envelops for James. Throw in some (very) mild housework and that was pretty much my day. I went through all the new school stuff and came up with a loose schedule that we can work with when we're ready to dive into the new books.

James was working on Minister's Meeting stuff (we're having to do a northern and southern "Meeting" instead of our usual Minister's Retreat this year--sooooo sad!), but he pulled himself away long enough to cook his favorite green chili enchilada stuff for lunch. He even mixed up some Rice Krispy treats! Yum!

I had a small brisket that I didn't know what to do with. We only ever have GIANT ones that we cook for 12 hours on real low heat, so this little 2 lb.-er threw me for a loop. I finally decided to just cook it like a roast. I put it in one of those oven bags you got me, Mom, with some potatoes (didn't have any carrots--bummer!), a packet of onion soup and a can of mushroom soup. It was sooooo good! And somehow, even with all that, it still tasted like a brisket, not a roast. I cut up the left-overs and threw into a crock-pot with what was left of the potatoes, then I added some of the Keilbasa from the other day. Tomorrow I'll see what else I can find to toss in there and we'll have a very interesting stew. ;-)

Sam and I played Connect Four and Scrabble Jr. tonight while Katie and Joe played Uno, then we all played Let's Go Fishin--that one where the little table spins and the fish open and close their mouths and you have to catch them. That is so much harder than it looks! I really think we should play it next time we get with Sam & Tammy or Dustin & Jamey or something. It's hilarous! Afterwards we played that Super Showdown game again. This time a ghost with eyes in the back of his head was judged to have a better chance at winning a snowball fight than the lunch lady with a ladder. :-)

I was able to spend some nice "alone" time with God tonight, which was so nice. I need so much more of that! I wouldn't trade the kids in for anything (!), but I still miss my pre-kid ability to spend as much time with God as I want and I struggle to spend the time now that I really need. It's a constant struggle, but it's my constant desire to improve in that area!

That's about it. I need more sleep than I got last night, so I'm going to bed NOW!

By the way, the iron really is dead. I tried it again today and it's a goner. What a bittersweet feeling this is! Ha! ;-)

This entry was posted on 11:10 PM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

Hey! Where'd you get that strawberry/rhubarb jam???
I've never tried cooking a small brisket. I've only had the HUGE ones. Your stew sounds really good, though!
You make me smile. I remember how stressed out you were when you were about to get married. You were panicked at the thought of children intruding into your "time alone with God." You were really distraught! I told you God would help you cope and that it was HIS idea to have children in the first place and He would understand the years of early child training. You've had such a GOOD time with your kids and you're doing a much better job at training them in the ways of the Lord than I did with my children at that age. One day they'll be gone and you'll have plenty of time on your hands to spend alone with God and thank Him for the wonderful children He has blessed you with. Take each day as it comes and endeavor to please God the very best you can. God takes care of the rest.

I love brisket. There was this little Bed and Breakfast in MO (www.amishinn.com if you want to check it out) to which Anthony and I on occasion would make a special trip just for their brisket. The 45-minute drive was WELL worth it. It was seasoned perfectly and cooked until it was soooo very tender. This guy reaaallllly knew how to do brisket RIGHT. Don't tell my mom, but it was actually better than hers!!! (which is really hard to beat) They also serve homemade bread with local Amish-made apple butter, Amish-made fresh churned butter, and an awesome Amish-made barbecue sauce... Mmmmm.... Making me homesick just thinking about it. ;-/