Terminal Blogger  

Posted by cokelady

That's me. Not so much in the sense that my blogging days are coming to an end (as far as I know!), but in the sense that I seem to have developed a severe case of BBD (Bad Blogger Disease) with absolutely no hope of recovery. You'd think that living in a motel room with absolutely nothing to do would ensure my success as a blogger. Nope. Even here I can't seem to be as faithful as I used to be. Weird. The worst part of it all is...

I'm bored out of my gourd!!! And I still can't seem to make myself sit down and blog. It just feels like one more thing to sit down and do. I'm so tired of sitting down I could scream! Even when we try to get out on the town and stay busy, we're still not really "living," you know?! Not normal life, as we know it. It's crazy, I know, but I can't wait to have a kitchen floor to scrub again. Real dinners to cook for my family. Even a house to remodel! ~sigh~ I read one novel while I was bored in Pennsylvania. I read another one on the drive from Tennessee back to Texas and then on to New Mexico. I read a third one the first week we were here. I started a cross-stitch a few days ago. But I'm tired of all of it! Usually I would be SO EXCITED to have time to read and stitch. At this point, I'm just SICK of it all! I am all vacationed out. I want to have some WORK to do! Something truly productive instead of just "fun" stuff to pass the time. It ain't so fun anymore!

That's my complaining spree for the day. It's probably not over yet, so don't get your hopes up. Ha!

Let's see if I can remember what we've done this week... On Wednesday we loaded everybody up and drove down to Old Town. Did you know that Albuquerque was founded (or established or whatever they call it!) over 300 years ago?! Wild, hu?! Sometime we'll go and take the tours in Old Town and learn all about it, but it was WAY too cold to do it on Wednesday! We did look for a restaurant that Brother VanDeventer said he used to go to when he came to Albuquerque on business years ago. We found La Hacienda and walked up to the door, only to find a sign saying that they were closed for renovations. It did, however, say that they had another location on the south plaza, so we wandered over there and found Casa De Fiesta. WOWZERS. It was fantastic! I got a chimichanga and James ordered some mexican steak thing. The kids split the tostada plate. Everything--including the salsa--was soooooo good. But it was a bit beyond my limits in the spice department. Still, it was too good to not eat, so I just suffered through it. James's must have been pretty spicy, too, because his nose was almost as drippy as mine! My Dad would have LOVED the food, but his head would have been all red with little beads of sweat dripping down his cheeks. Ha! I love it when he eats Mexican food! Anyway, it was delicioso! ;-)

Just north of Old Town is where the Albuquerque Musuem, the Musuem of Natural History and Science, and !explora!--their Children's Museum. We decided to go check out the !explora! and it was a great decision! WOW! We've been to several Children's Musuems across the country and enjoyed them all, but this one was just sooooo cool. Most of them are more like giant playgrounds, but this one is full of tiny little work stations (TONS of them) where they can do all sorts of experiements. It just seemed a lot more hands-on and educational. James and I had at least as much fun as the kids, if not more! We were there for about 3 hours, I think. I didn't get very many good pictures--none of them really capture how great it was--but here are a few...

This was really cool. The kids could move the little "plates" to direct the waterflow in different directions and create little streams, then float their balls down them.

The kids loved the "walking sticks." Neat-o, hu?! Of all things, SAM wouldn't hold it!

There was a large fan in front of the airplane and you could control the amount of air, simulating your speed in a real airplane. Once you had that part figured out you could lift off and try to fly the thing. James enjoyed it. :-)

Joe did, too, but he took it quite seriously!

Ha! This was great! You were supposed to try to put all of the nails into the holes, but air was blowing up through the holes and the more of them you filled the harder the air would push until it would send several nails would go flying out. Ha! Joe didn't get the concept very well and I just kept pushing him. "Come on, Joe--get 'em all in! You can do it!!!" The harder he tried, the more nails he lost. Ha! Ha! It was great. :-)



This was hilarious, too. I don't think it would actually classify as a "hall of mirrors" in the sense I've always thought of it. (I've always wanted to go through a mirror maze--that would be so cool!) This was just a small square room with mirrored walls. No matter--Katie and Sam BOTH walked right into a wall before they made it back out! Ha!

The bubble pond!

One of the many music rooms. There were sooooo many cool things in this area, but most of them would have been boring pictures.

Out on the deck they had these great slats that the kids could build with. I'd love to have some of our own so they could construct their own forts in the back yard. :-)

See James standing over there in front of that giant orange thing? That is called a Whisper Disc. There was another one right behind where I was standing when I took the picture. He could whisper into his disc and I could here him wa-a-a-a-a-ay over where I was! Wow! How cool is that?!

We didn't get a chance to try this and I'm not sure anybody would have had the guts to do it anyway. This bike was up on the 2nd floor. You got strapped into it, then peddled out on a wire across the big open spaces underneath you, then back again. Ha! I DON'T THINK SO!


By the time we were done at the musuem I was sooooo tired! We went back to the motel and the kids and I all crashed. I think I slept for almost 2 hours!!! Joe was very feverish the other night and did a whole lot of extra sleeping and Katie has been a little raspy and had a cough for the past few days. I wondered if my extreme need for sleep was my body fighting off any of the same stuff. ??? Anyway, it helped and I felt great afterwards.

That night we had a Pizza Party, complete with Totino's (they actually fit in our new toaster oven--without having to cut or break them!), Coke, popcorn, and Lucy. That's right, we bought our own collections of I Love Lucy and Wanted: Dead or Alive. We never have cable, so when we travel we enjoy watching HGTV and Animal Planet. This motel has neither. We have found a few things on the Discovery Channel but for the most part it's just the usual cable trash, so we thought it worthwhile to invest in a few oldies but goodies. It gives us something else to do while we're sitting around, wondering what to do with ourselves! Anyway, it was great to have a Pizza Party again. :-)

Thursday. Hhmmm. Maybe that WAS Thursday! I don't know anymore! Maybe it's Wednesday that I can't remember. I know that yesterday James did some running around town, looking for a Christian book store. (Can you believe there is no Mardel OR Family Christian Store in a city this size?! CRAZY!!!) The kids and I stayed "home" and had devotions, then a real, full session of school. ~sigh~ That was great! We had sandwhiches for lunch, just like the good old days. :-)

In the afternoon James came home and we all loaded up and went to visit Sister Grimes. We had a nice time with her and her daughter, Pat. Afterwards we went to Hobby Lobby, then headed up to the east mountains again, our new home. We didn't drive up to the house to pester the poor man who still calls it home, we just drove around to check out some more things in the area. Went to the bank and had me added to the account (we couldn't to it the first time because I have this little problem remembering the last four digits of my social security number), then went into the cute little grocery stores up there, just to see what they offer and how bad the prices are. They actually have lots to offer and most of the prices were pretty good, too. And the stores were cute! Almost as cute as the 84 year old owner, "Charlie," as he introduced himself. :-)


Today has been another "regular" day. Devotions and school. :-) Feels good! Now the kids are watching Lucy while James is out doing some more running around. Nap time is coming, then we'll have to get out of the room for a while later this afternoon. I got so sick of going a week or two ago that I told James I wanted to spend a whole day at "home." A whole day at home just isn't the same when you're living in a motel. By 4:00 we were all about ready to scream! We loaded up and went somewhere after all.

It does get old living in a motel. The kids get antsy, but the dog is about to drive us nuts! I get up with him early in the morning and run him around the motel. I do it again a few times throughout the day, the last time being just before dark. But it's just not enough for that energetic dog of mine! He could run around the building 6 times in a row and still be going strong, but I'm huffing and puffing and wheezing and stumbling after just one lap. We go back inside and he'll spend the next 20 minutes ricochetting from the door to the bed and back. For real--he'll run toward the door, jump and slam himself up against it, then bounce onto the edge of the bed, which he bounces off of and rams the door again. ~sigh~ Just 19 more days until we close on our house. Just 19 MORE DAYS. We can make it! Right?!?!? Ha! I'm sure we can. I think. Maybe.

Okay, I'm outta here. Have a great weekend! And please say a prayer for the church here in Albuquerque. There are some interesting things going on and some difficult decisions for the people here to make concerning their building and such. Pray for God to give them wisdom, as well and James and me as we try to help them sort through it all.
Later!

~Bec~

This entry was posted on 10:50 AM . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

8 comments

I'm so glad to get to read what's going on in your life. And the pictures are great! Check out all the great places so you can have them all scheduled for us to go to when we get to come for a visit (whenever that may be). Dad would love to go back to Old Town to eat some good Mexican food, and we'd enjoy going through the shops again. It would interesting to see how things have changed in the past 30 years.
Hang in there. I know the next 19 days are going to seem like 19 years, but someday you'll back to this time period and you'll smile. No, really! "These are good times; someday they'l be gone . . . " (you know the rest).

If I can survive 72 days living in a motel with two very energetic boys...you can survive 19 more days. AND...your mom is right...one day you will look back on this craziness and smile.

Great pictures and that museum looks like so much fun for all ages. Jeremy and Darren like watching their dad eat really hot foods too because his head breaks out in a sweat.

"...and we'll miss them very much"??? I have my doubts! Ha! I can already look back (is that possible while you're still in the MIDST of something) and laugh and enjoy the memories we're making. But I have serious doubts that I'll ever actually MISS this time in our lives! Ha!

I've thought of you and Dad several times as we've discovered great stuff around here. It'll be so fun whenever you do get a chance to visit!

Mexican food is only good if your eyes water and your nose runs ;)

house pictures!!!! *pounds fists on table*

Becki,

Just wanted to let you know I felt led for us to have a special prayer this morning at Church for your family and new Church. We will continue to keep you in our prayers and no the Lord will bless you and your family for your faithfulness.

Wow! Thanks so much, Sister Angie--we were so blessed to hear that your church had had special prayer for little ole us today! :-) God heard you, I am sure. He is working and we are encouraged. :-)

What's the deal? I check your blog this morning and there are TWO posts with pictures. Have I really fallen that far behind?! Guess so...anyway...great post!! Love the pictures of the kids at the museum. That would be a fun outting if we ever get to visit you guys. Maybe one of my boys would be brave enough to try the bike ride across a wire? Nah, I doubt it.